Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

chafing legs.(help)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am a size 16-18 and i love to wear skirts and we have dead nice weather only problem is my thight rub together and chafe and it is really uncomfortable. i wondered if anybody has any ideas. surely i am not the only sufferer of this embarrasing problem last summer i tried those slimming pant things but i am only 4ft 11" so they were too long and came up to my bra!
Help please.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Very random... but a mate of mine went on holiday last year and swore by putting roll-on deodorant on her inner thighs (she's a bigger girl, like). She said she had to dry it with a hairdryer sometimes, haha - but she said she didn't have any soreness or anything.
    Worth a try?!
    how about trying cycling shorts or similar under the skirt
    you're not going to get rid of the problem really, whatever you do your legs will rub together. are you on a diet or doing any exercise or anything?
    you're not going to get rid of the problem really, whatever you do your legs will rub together. are you on a diet or doing any exercise or anything?
    thats what i was thinking, in the long run you're not going to get anywhere, you'll need to lose weight/tone up
    in the meantime...bit of talcum powder?
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    how about trying cycling shorts or similar under the skirt
    i have struggled to find cycling shorts!

i do a excersise i swim twice a week rollerblade at least 3 times a week do a dance fitness Dvd called batuka
    im destined to be shaped as a lump!
    I did not use to eat enough so now im on a points plan as im told my body was hanging onto every last gram of fat!
    That's a bit rude? Perhaps she's happy being a size 16-18? Perhaps she just wanted advice on how to help the problem she has....

Ilora x
    That's a bit rude? Perhaps she's happy being a size 16-18? Perhaps she just wanted advice on how to help the problem she has....

Ilora x
    my thorts exactly,

i have the same problem, i find that talc works

Ilora x

No one is happy being fat. On the outside maybe that is what they portray but on the inside they hate it.
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    No one is happy being fat. On the outside maybe that is what they portray but on the inside they hate it.
    go on, educate me. how do you know that i have a problem with my weight?
    That happens to me too, and I'm not hugely overweight, I just carry weight on my thigh area more than others. It puts me off wearing skirts, I would also suggest wearing some sort of shorts, how about the bottom part of a tankini?

I wear the slimming pants as well (SLOGGI), got a pack of 2 for £8 from matalan, I'm only 5 foot and they fit me okay although they are a bit long.
    melanie wrote:
    go on, educate me. how do you know that i have a problem with my weight?

As a bigger person myself I know full well that us fat people are not as happy as we could be. We worry more about what to wear, suffer more from the heat, are not as healthy, we are self concious etc. I portray myself as a happy fat person (as do lots of others I know) but on the inside I know I am not happy and I can bet that I am not alone and all, ok the vast majority of fat people feel the same. You just can't say you are happy being fat??
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Wow, that's lovely. So a size 16 is fat? I'd hate to be your friend.

Weight is not the issue here, chaffing legs are the issue. How about you stop talking about unhappy fat people, and start talking about the issue at hand?

Ilora x
    Wow, that's lovely. So a size 16 is fat? I'd hate to be your friend.

Weight is not the issue here, chaffing legs are the issue. How about you stop talking about unhappy fat people, and start talking about the issue at hand?

Ilora x

Why do you always have to think that you are correct and in the know about bloody everything? Lucifer Devil was right. Rather than trying to find ways of stopping them rubbing, why not just get to the root of the problem.
    Because that wasn't the question!!! If she wanted weight loss tips, I'm sure she'd ask for them. But she didn't, she wanted help in the short term. Suggesting she loses weight isn't going to make her feel any better about the problem at hand. That's all I'm saying.

Ilora x
    Because that wasn't the question!!! If she wanted weight loss tips, I'm sure she'd ask for them. But she didn't, she wanted help in the short term. Suggesting she loses weight isn't going to make her feel any better about the problem at hand. That's all I'm saying.

Ilora x

If you read the post, she actually asks
    i wondered if anybody has any ideas
    and then say she has already tried slimming pants and they did not work for her. Lucifers response is probably the most sensible of everyones.
    Well, I disagree. I think it was an insensitive suggestion TBH.

I'm done. All I can think of is what's been suggested ie Talc...

Ilora x
    For the person who mentioned matalan sloggies pant i will have a look thanks and i just want to say thanks to other who have offered advice and i just want to make a point.
    I am not hugely over weight either and if i had some hight on me it would be better but i dont!
    What makes me a 16-18 is i have large hip to although my waist would be a 12/14 my hips are not my bottom 1/2 is larger and i know other women are put off wearing skirts due to this problem so i thought maybe somebody had a beter idea than talc as it only last so long.
    I have a friend who ran the marathon (all of it) a fit girl too not a Jade Goody and her bra rubbed and legs chafed so bad she they was bleeding. Runners and rambelers suffer too!
    Only naturally slim people are ignorant to people who are over weight and some people are just like our mums used to say bigger boned.
    we are not all over eaters some of have health problems for example thyroids and take pills some of us have food intolerence and dont ever know it and some are blatently fat and don't give a crap.
    i only want to take advantage of the nice weather and look nice in a skirt and feel confident and comfortable i believe i desrved that whatever my weight is.
    i try to keep a ballanced diet and i do excersise as it is normal for me. i try to take care of my bady as it has to last a life time.
    Thighs are a really hard place to tone and i have tried most things and they just do not work.
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Why do you always have to think that you are correct and in the know about bloody everything? Lucifer Devil was right. Rather than trying to find ways of stopping them rubbing, why not just get to the root of the problem.

well think about it i am trying to loose some weight but i am quite happy on my size and would rather tone up that loose lots of weigh. Something that does not happen over night!
    Mean while i was looking for a bit of advice to keep me going in the short term while the weather is nice british summer time does not last that long. i was not looking for people to judge me and rant and rave just a bit of advice.
    well think about it i am trying to loose some weight but i am quite happy on my size and would rather tone up that loose lots of weigh. Something that does not happen over night!
    Mean while i was looking for a bit of advice to keep me going in the short term while the weather is nice british summer time does not last that long. i was not looking for people to judge me and rant and rave just a bit of advice.

And Amen to that. Even if all of us happy fat people decided to get stick like legs by not eating and running for 5 hours a day, we would still have thighs that rub together in the mean time.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Wow, there are loads of assumptions and judgements going down in this thread, lets just try and stick to the question at hand and be our usual supportive selves shall we?
    i just want to make a point.
    I am not hugely over weight either and if i had some hight on me it would be better but i dont!
    What makes me a 16-18 is i have large hip to although my waist would be a 12/14 my hips are not my bottom 1/2 is larger and i know other women are put off wearing skirts due to this problem so i thought maybe somebody had a beter idea than talc as it only last so long.
    I have a friend who ran the marathon (all of it) a fit girl too not a Jade Goody and her bra rubbed and legs chafed so bad she they was bleeding. Runners and rambelers suffer too!
    Only naturally slim people are ignorant to people who are over weight and some people are just like our mums used to say bigger boned.
    we are not all over eaters some of have health problems for example thyroids and take pills some of us have food intolerence and dont ever know it and some are blatently fat and don't give a crap.
    i only want to take advantage of the nice weather and look nice in a skirt and feel confident and comfortable i believe i desrved that whatever my weight is.
    i try to keep a ballanced diet and i do excersise as it is normal for me. i try to take care of my bady as it has to last a life time.
    Thighs are a really hard place to tone and i have tried most things and they just do not work.

Well said chicken.

I really want to offer advice but I can't think of anything that hasn't been suggested. If I think of anything, anything at all, I will come back and suggest it. The deodorant sounded like a good thing to try though :)
    I have to agree with whats been said, i think it's rude to automatically assume because someone is a little bigger than average that they must want to lose weight. Like what has already been said, even the skinniest person can get the same thing.

Personally i haven't worn a skirt for years. My mate wears like cycling shorts, but i suppose thats not always practical is it. I'd try the other suggestions an let us know how you get on (should i ever wish to wear a skirt in the future!)
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    As a bigger person myself I know full well that us fat people are not as happy as we could be.
    1. just because you are big, doesnt mean you can speak for every big person. There ARE plenty that are unhappy with their weight, and plenty that are happy with it. Same for people of ANY size.

She might be unhappy with it but dont presume.

Ilora x

no it's not.

doesn't matter if she's happy being her size, she's saying she doesn't like her legs rubbing together so i suggested she do something long-term about it.
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Lucifers response is probably the most sensible of everyones.

thank you.

i never said she was overweight or anything but if your legs are rubbing together then the only way to stop them from doing that is to lose some weight off them.
    well any womans legs rub together, unless you have the legs of a 10 year old
    even mine do a bit and i'm a dancer, i don't think any slimming undergarments will be much good now summers coming up
    Ballerina wrote:
    well any womans legs rub together, unless you have the legs of a 10 year old
    even mine do a bit and i'm a dancer, i don't think any slimming undergarments will be much good now summers coming up

mine don't rub together and i'm 21.
    mine don't rub together and i'm 21.

mine don't either, and i'm not a 10 year old either.

however, they did used to a few years ago - i was only a size 8/10, but because of the combination of the way i was built (any weight went straight to the thighs) and the way i walked (ankles too close together) they did used to rub a bit, so it's not exclusively a bigger person's problem, and maybe won't be fixed by losing weight.