Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do good looking people have it easier

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I always get the feeling that if a person is good looking, they seem to have a better chance in life. They make friends more easily, they get jobs more easily, they get married more easily. It's a sad reflection on how superficial our society has become.

Comments

• Options
    yeah probably
  • Options
    MattMatt wrote:
    It's a sad reflection on how superficial our society has become.
    It's always been like that. People find more attractive people more attractive surprisingly.
  • Options
    yeah it annoys me alot
  • Options
    MattMatt wrote:
    I always get the feeling that if a person is good looking, they seem to have a better chance in life. They make friends more easily, they get jobs more easily, they get married more easily. It's a sad reflection on how superficial our society has become.

Well yeah .. also studies have shown they're more likely to be given the kiss of life should they need it .. :yes:
  • Options
    But isn't attractiveness different to everyone?

Like, people think Brad Pitt is hot. Personally, I don't.
  • Options
    But isn't attractiveness different to everyone?

Like, people think Brad Pitt is hot. Personally, I don't.
    Well yeah, but theres still some sort of standard. I'm sure you don't think Brad Pitt is bad looking.
  • Options
    MattMatt wrote:

how much of life comes down to sex?
    if you are attracted to someone you're naturally going to want to be around them.
    so yeah! good looking people are probably offered a lot more opportunities in life for friendships, sex, marrage, jobs, etc etc etc than ugly or average looking people. but attractiveness is very subjective.
  • Options
    Being attractive doesn't mean you can't have a shit life... some people are more lucky than others, being attractive help a lot, but it's not because yu are attractive that life smile at you everyday and your life will be an easy ride...
  • Options
    whats this got to do with sex?
  • Options
    Isn't there already a thread abou tthis?

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98554
  • Options
    Well yeah, but theres still some sort of standard. I'm sure you don't think Brad Pitt is bad looking.

I don't think he is ugly. But then I don't find him attractive. Or even 'good' looking.
  • Options
  • Options
    MattMatt wrote:

Yeah we do. What can ya do though eh :p
  • Options
    This is the fucking forum (and associated frolicking). This thread is probably more suited to another forum, such as "Waste Time", or maybe even "Anything Goes". Consider these things.

I think it's bollocks, in all honesty.

Being friendly (and having something in common with the others) will get you friends.

Being confident that you are (and indeed actually are/have the potential to be) good that the job (and convincing the others of this) will get you the job.

As for getting married, it'll make it easier to get people after you (and have the confidence to approach others), but you need more than looking nice.

It is all subjective, though. Some people like the boys that are pretty and look a bit like girls, and others prefer (hopefully, haha) a gentleman that looks rough as fuck.

Truth. 'Specially the end bit about subjectiveness. Personally, I'd take either :yum:
  • Options
    Truth. 'Specially the end bit about subjectiveness. Personally, I'd take either :yum:
    And I'd take neither... :razz:

Point proven.

I don't fancy Angelina Jolie. Apparently that means I'm asexual.

Aaaaanyway. I gave a serious answer in the thread my_name quite rightly pointed out. So nerr.
  • Options
    MattMatt wrote:

I think they key words here are BETTER CHANCE. I would agree that good looking people have a better chance in life for various reasons. However, this doesn't mean that average Joe can't have a cracking innings either. Your life is what you make of it - you can only ask for a fair crack and assuming you get that, then any whining and crying is totally unjustified in my view.
  • Options
    as gavman said to me, or something similar along the lines
    even though its not to go and chat them up or anything like that, the fact that you have confidence means you can approach girls and get on with them really well
  • Options
    The way I see it, if you see a good looking guy smiling at you and staring, it makes your day. If you see an ugly guy doing it, you call the police.
  • Options
    Blackraven wrote:
    The way I see it, if you see a good looking guy smiling at you and staring, it makes your day. If you see an ugly guy doing it, you call the police.
    :lol: :thumb:
  • Options
    Or at least run away screaming! :D
  • Options
    Being attractive helps. If you had to give away a job at a help desk it would be more adviseable to hire someone who has a sympathetic face and a gentle voice instead of some ugly mug who has a e.g. squeaky voice.

Being attractive isn't everything though. I am a middle thing. I have attractive and very social friends who regard me as similar, and I have friends who are not that popular. They don't have a problem with that tho. They make their own little home parties with their own circle of friends and I really enjoy myself as much in both peers.

It is always for how much you sell yourself. If you are not a real beau and you're introverted and shy, you will have a damn hard time to find someone to pull you out of your shell.

In conclusion: I know handsome boys and pretty girls who don't have many friends themselves and often sit at home and I got not-so-good looking friends who know half of vienna. You go around with them, and they shake hands with someone every 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Well yeah, but theres still some sort of standard.

Is there?

Everyone raves on about Gwen Stefani, but if she was doing a striptease in my back yard I'd close the curtains and turn the telly up.

I'm no oil painting but I have friends and a wife, and whilst I'm still a minion, I'm working for one of the top 100 firms to work for in the whole country.

If good looks are everything, why the hell are Mick Hucknall and Peter Stringfellow so successful with women?

Of course you'll never get anywhere if you spend all your time sat on your arse bellyaching about how only good looking people get good things in life. Why is it only whingey pathetic little boys that say that?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    There's been a fair amount of research done into this. If you believe all the studies that have been done over the years, good-looking people are more likely to get married, have more children, earn more money, get to better jobs, tiake better holidays, are more likely to get into heaven... OK, I made the last one up, but you get my point. The question to be answered here is, do looks matter? Sadly, the answer is yes.

Being attractive will help you in life, but it also depends on one other attribute which does not get sufficient attention in this thread. What someone believes, or someone's mental frame of mind. There are many people on this site whom I consider to be extremely attractive, but when I tell them "I think you're gorgeous", they tend to blush and disagree with me. Quite a few women have told me they think I'm a very good-looking guy. It's all very flattering, though I wouldn't believe it personally. I think of myself as average-looking. Not an ugly man, but nothing special to look at either.

In a nutshell, looks shouldn't matter, but they do.
  • Options
    Thats where i dont have a problem :)
  • Options
  • Options
    brad18 wrote:
    Thats where i dont have a problem :)

Personally, I find modesty a really attractive quality :)
  • Options
    Personally, I find modesty a really attractive quality :)

hehe :thumb:
  • Options
    But isn't finding yourself attractive show self-confidence... I think it does... but if you say you think you are attractive you can pass for arrogant as well... I guess there is a fine line in between the too...
  • Options
    because money will get you a long way too...

Perhaps, but doesn't the argument go that you're only successful financially if you're good looking? That you're only successful in the entertainment business if you're attractive?

Looks are not important. Having confidence in your own ability is. You don't get the girl by being a wallflower. It's rare that the biggest stud in a town is the man with the best looks.