Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reaction to finding out about a criminal record

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    Exactly.

A lot of people end up with a criminal record for something stupid they did when they were young. Something like criminal damage, minor violent crimes or minor theft wouldn't bother me.

I've got a record and it's never bothered the girls I've been with.

True but the prison thing brings it to another level.
  • Options
    Well if it were something like murder, then no.

But some less harsh than that- who knows.

But I'd rather they told me about it all early on in the relatonship, rather than months going by and finding out.
  • Options
    What she don't know mate, can't hurt her.
    You only need to tell her if it becomes serious, don't let it bother you.
    Cheers
  • Options
    I would tell her straight away, that what I do about my past, screening process... after when people don't tell you stuff or don't tell you exactly the true trying to hide stuff from the start, if they love you truly they will stay but they will have a lot of things to swallow...
  • Options
    Honesty is usually the best policy. Hopefully during the time she has known you, she will see that you are a reformed character ... and will be forgiving. If I was in her shoes, I would be.
  • Options
    If it was something like murder or rape then I wouldn't go out with them for obvious reasons. if it was something 'small' like public order offence or drinking driving then I might go out with someone.
  • Options
    I would tell her straight away, that what I do about my past, screening process... after when people don't tell you stuff or don't tell you exactly the true trying to hide stuff from the start, if they love you truly they will stay but they will have a lot of things to swallow...
    Thats just how you have to look at it - a screening process. If they cant handle something that big a part of you, then theyre not right for you.
  • Options
    Well I told her about things on Saturday night. We had gone for something to eat first and when we were both relaxed I told her about getting into trouble in the past and she seemed surprised and didn't say too much - just how I wasn't the person who she thought I was.

When I told her about being in prison rather than in Australia she was not one bit impressed. She reckoned you have to be pretty messed up to end up in there. She did say that I didn't seem like someone who had been in jail so that's something.

Anyway she hasn't blown me out altogether and has asked to let her think things over so who knows.
  • Options
    You did the right thing tho, I hope it all work out and that she will stay with you...
  • Options
    Hope it works out for you, at least you did come clean, which is more than a lot of people would!
  • Options
    im goin out wit a guy who has a list of crimmnal activities as long as my arm and i dnt mind. as long as u love and trust them not to hurt u ur ok. and i nw frm the first nite i met him coz he told me and i had read stuff in the paper before about him