Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

worrying addiction to real life mags

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At the start of this year I made a vow to stop buying expensive glossy womens magazines like marie claire, glamour etc, as they cost £2-£4 a time and are full of adverts.

However, I've become worryingly addicted to cheap nasty magazines like love it, real people and pick me up. They are only about 60p a time and I like to read them in the bath but I'm worried if I read too many I might turn into one of the women selling their stories to them.

I even sent in a top tip to pick me up last week (but it was via their website and I will get £30 if they print it).

Does anyone else read them or has sold an amazing real life story to them? You can even sell stories like: "my worst date" to them.

Comments

• Options
    Ha, I haven't read one of those for ages. I used to read them all when I worked lates at a motorway service station, they were just the right size to slip between the cabinets when the manager came out of the office :D
  • Options
    read them occasionally but only because a close family member of mine regularly writes articles for such magazines, some of the stories they've told me that havent made it in are ridiculous.
  • Options
    some of those magazines are legendary
  • Options
    I think it must be a lot of fun working for one of those mags. Drive up and down the country going to people's houses and have a chat with them, drink some tea, write up the story in an over dramatic fashion.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    PussyKatty wrote:

I even sent in a top tip to pick me up last week (but it was via their website and I will get £30 if they print it).

:thumb: you know what else you can do - do you get to write any human interest stories for your paper? The next one you get, adapt it and send it to one of those mags. My mate used to do that and he not only used to get paid for it, but also money for the person who the story is about - that was for Bella.
  • Options
    Join RLMA (Real Life Magazines Anonymous):

"My name's Sid and I'm addicted to Real Life Magazines"

Or

Try reading something else. Maybe a book or a magazine to do with a subject you're interested in.
  • Options
    Oh my god. Me too.

Because i'm on an extremely tight budget now i've been buying the mags that are 60p, not the usual ones i get. Everyone gives me funny looks cos they think i'm buying housewifey magazines, either that or i'm getting old before my time.

What worrys me even more is i found myself buying magazines with the best puzzles in for when i was bored :eek:
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    :thumb: you know what else you can do - do you get to write any human interest stories for your paper? The next one you get, adapt it and send it to one of those mags. My mate used to do that and he not only used to get paid for it, but also money for the person who the story is about - that was for Bella.

I don't know if my paper would be very pleased about that but I will bear it in mind, thanks!
  • Options
    That was the great bit about working in the Co-op, we just used to read the magazines on our break and then stick them back on the shelves!
  • Options
    That was the great bit about working in the Co-op, we just used to read the magazines on our break and then stick them back on the shelves!

:yes: We used to do that too. I dont know what these real life magazines are, but we'd read those hardcore ott magazines. Whats it called, like World News, or something, even more bizzare than National Inquirer. I still remember reading one article about an elderly woman who shot her rapist, followed by a story about an amputated leg that hopped itsself down to the hospital where its owner was. Then there are always the stories of "bat boy" The US governments secret weapon :cool:
  • Options
    Manda I have a photo for you in a bit.
  • Options
    Manda I have a photo for you in a bit.

Oh I cannot wait, coming from you its bound to be excelent :hyper:
  • Options
    Theres a market stall round here on a friday and saturday that does out of date magazines, 3 for £2. I try and stick to getting them from there if i need a fix. I have made a vow to not buy those shitty magazines full price anymore. The only ones i will ever pay full price for is psychologies, or New scientist. The rest are just so unsatisfying.

I never read the cheap ones unless at a doctors surgery or round someone elses house. They are worse value than the other ones tbh.

If you find youre spending a lot of money and you have a real favourite or two, maybe get a subscription, and then just stick to that. You can often get subscriptions for half price or some other special offer, and if youre going to be buying it anyway, you may as well.
  • Options
    Check your inbox Manda ;)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Check your inbox Manda ;)
    Did you send her the llama placenta?
  • Options
    Did you send her the llama placenta?

shhh to you its almost my lunch time :p
  • Options
    Ooooh. Me and my mate buy loads of these magazines every week and sit at work and read them all, have a giggle at Puzzlin' Paul (hello Pick Me Up fans, I wrote him a fan letter once!) and then we do all the puzzles and send off to try and win.

We've never won. :(
  • Options
    The only ones i will ever pay full price for is psychologies, or New scientist. The rest are just so unsatisfying.

I freaking LOVE Psychologies, what good taste you have :thumb: It's the only magazine subscription I have - got an alright discount for doing so and it'd be worth it even if I didn't.

I also buy Viz.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    At the start of this year I made a vow to stop buying expensive glossy womens magazines like marie claire, glamour etc, as they cost £2-£4 a time and are full of adverts.

However, I've become worryingly addicted to cheap nasty magazines like love it, real people and pick me up. They are only about 60p a time and I like to read them in the bath but I'm worried if I read too many I might turn into one of the women selling their stories to them.

Does anyone else read them or has sold an amazing real life story to them? You can even sell stories like: "my worst date" to them.
    i read all the mags too, they r great, i wouldnt worry, its part of entertaining yourself, like a hobby!

my ex's lying mum was in take a break a couple of weeks ago
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    I freaking LOVE Psychologies, what good taste you have :thumb: It's the only magazine subscription I have - got an alright discount for doing so and it'd be worth it even if I didn't.

I also buy Viz.

yeah but Briggi, Im slowly coming to the conclusion that we were seperated at birth.
  • Options
    Can you tell me about psychologies magazine please? I saw it in the shop and thought it looked interesting but it was about £3..

Also, has anyone read Scarlet?
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Can you tell me about psychologies magazine please? I saw it in the shop and thought it looked interesting but it was about £3..

Scarlet sucks imho... read a few from my girl, she even stop getting it... psychologies I read it as well (in the bathroom :)) and it is quite interesting... and yes sometimes I read women magazine while in there... :D
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:

Scarlet is crap, although some of the erotic stories are ok. Ive bought it twice to give it a chance, but wouldnt again.

Psychologies is really good. the articles are indepth and make you think.
    www.psychologies.co.uk is the website, but they dont put the full articles on the website obviously or else noone would buy the mag.
  • Options
    Never seen Psychologies on the shelves before. Might have a look out for it - it looks good.