Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Summer Kitout

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I think it's going to be getting warmer and warmer as the weeks go on and today is quite a nice day. I went to look for something to wear and realised that I have very little in the way of shorts and t-shirts (I have t-shirts but the material might be a bit heavy for a sunny day)

So I've decided to beg mummy dearest ( :razz: ) for some pennies. My question to you lot is - what should I wear and where should I get it?

Comments

• Options
    PRIMARK!!! :heart::heart::heart:

i just spent £60 in there today and i got...

two pairs of shoes (pumps), one pair of knickers, two dresses, one pair of 3/4 length jeans, five tops, a belt and some socks

bargainous! my summer wardrobe is complete :thumb:
  • Options
    oops are you a bloke? hmm still primark :D
  • Options
    Primark is OK but I don't like their stuff mainly because it doesn't usually last very long with me. I'm a messy bugger and wash my clothes constantly.
  • Options
    Have you been to Gap? Get some polo tops, tatty jeans and flip flops. :D
  • Options
    i wouldn't kit your whole wardrobe out from primark, tbh. maybe just buy some basics.

river island? don't know what they're like for clothes for men. topman? burtons? some supermarkets do nice clothes.
  • Options
    i quite like Republics mens stuff at the moment, get quite a bit from there i like their stuff.

i quite like shopping in envy or USC as well, if you stay away from the chavvy stuff there's some nice stuff to be found in them.

also try local places, we've got a independant shop in town and generally does ya some deals if you are buying a few things like chucks a free t-shirt in and stuff. very nice chap.
  • Options
    tesco? i love their clothes but i cant say what there like for mens.
  • Options
    Get some 3/4 length pants (my brother got some nice khaki ones from Burtons the other day, £25) and some nice tees and polo necks.
  • Options
    reading this really makes me wanna go bargain shoppin (asda, tesco and primark!!) lol
  • Options
    H&M :naughty:
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I think its about time for my usual comment about stores that can afford to price their clothes at suych ridiculously low levels - this invariably happens because the cloth manufacturers and workers aren't being paid a fair amout for the fabric, the garment manufacturers are running factories with appalling conditions, paying exploitative wages, setting stupidly long hours, disallowing unions and any other worker representation, and often employing under age workers. Its completely up to the individual to decide whether they are comfortable, or even whehter they want to take this into account when buying clothing, but if something is that cheap, as they say, someone somewhere is paying the price...
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    and when that price is only 2 quid who wouldnt want to pay it!!

primark = life
    I think you missed the point.
  • Options
    Can someone confirm are Primark exploting workers? If so I don't really want to shop there again, but I spent over £150 there yesterday on my girlfriend and sister! :( Oh, and me of course :D:D hehe
  • Options
    Went to Brum yesterday with £100 to spend on summer gear. Came back with one top from Urban Outfitters. Bitterly disappointed.

Oh, and Primark is rank. :p

Meh. Ilora x
  • Options
    Can someone confirm are Primark exploting workers? If so I don't really want to shop there again, but I spent over £150 there yesterday on my girlfriend and sister! :( Oh, and me of course :D:D hehe

they checked it out on this morning and its all above board. as much as any other clothes shop at least. they save money on other stuff like keeping loads of designs the same year after year and so not paying designers to do it, no advertising, no music license etc. the clothes aren't amazing quality either so cost less to make. they sell clothes at much closer to cost price than somewhere like topshop, but they sell more so it evens out. little things like that
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru

There are a few articles I found when I googled it, relating to their review in Ethical Consumer magazine - here , here and here . As someone else pointed out, its not just Primark, its most of the high street retailers...