Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hair, arrggh.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not sure whether this is more style and apperence or health but we shall see! Ignoring the slight ridiculous of it just bear with me :p

I think i'm losing me hair :| at first i thought i was a bit paranoid but now it's got to the stage where when once its straightened and sorted there is much left of it on my head, which wouldn't be a problem as such if there wasn't tonnes of it my whole life up untill about 9 months ago, not only is the actually thickness of it thinning out but the length of it is getting shorter which is slightly crazy!

Quite a lot of it does come out in hairbrushes and when i wash my hair, not just ends snapping off but sometimes the whole big massive long ones and with roots and stuff, i never used to take any notice but it now appears i have hardly any hair left! And as i said it's shrinking aswell with out even being cut(!?)
fair enough maybe not growing from a length, but getting shorter, gaaah I reeeally don't want to end up bold, don't even really mind the short hair thing which would be fine and dandy by it'self if it wasn't about 2 strands thick!

Anyway raving over, whats up with my head/hair! And before anyone says about my hair being in terrible condition thats why it's falling out, the hair that is there is in a relativley good state, not loads of split ends nice and soft, nicely condition etc blah blah blah. Just thought i'd ask you clever people if you have any ideas on the subject, cause i don't want to go to the doctor tell him i'm losing my hair and him tell me i'm a nob :p

I've included a nice little hair time line thing just to show what i'm on about for claritys sake ;p

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
    pics and writing are both big for me. You need to click on the 'expand' thing on the bottom right of pic to make it bigger
    I can't really read the timeline, it's too small, as are the pics to see properly. Could you possibly post the pics separately?

if you hover over it, a wee magnifying glass will appear, and if you click it will enlarge :yes:

anyway, yeah, it does look a teeny bit thinner, but not crazily. you're supposed to lose about 100 hairs a day (which is loads). I think i'd really only worry if you start to get obvious thinning patches, rather than it just feeling a bit thinner.

but if you are really worried, i'm sure people go to their docs with sillier things.
    \
    \
    I have a firend with a similar problem. We dicovered the casue is HAIR STRAIGHTENERS! She has ghds so it's not the qualiyt, it's the heat damage. Do you use straighteners? Maybe you could cut down your use of them...
    It is hard to tell because in the first 4 pics your hair is straightish and the bottom it is wavy.
    Dying and straightening hair does take it's toll on hair as I am finding out
    ok peoples cheers :thumb:

To answer the questions, yeah i dye my hair blonde and have done for nearly 7 years, but it's only like the 2 odd cm of roots everytime, so it's not like i'm coninually battering my hair with dye or whatever.

I did think aout the straighteners thing myself, I do straighten my hair yes about 2-3 times a week depending on how much i wash it, but to be honest when i had lots of hair and it was long i used to straighten it everyday for about a year and it didn't change or anything, so i dunno i never hair dryer it or anything and always condition nicely. Hmm

My hairs a bit kinky in the picture because i got rained on :( But when i straighten it it doesn't make it any longer really just less frizzy, ha.

And yeah it's the shorter thing i find really odd, considering, the time from the second picture to the 3rd was 5 months and it grew tonnes, but in the past 9 months it's erm shrank!
    \
    I've been using the same type of contraception for nearly 3 years now (pill) even the same brand of pill but i have got 1 or 2 dress sizes bigger, but as far as i know it's weight loss that affects hair loss, not a bit of extra chub, ha :p I am going to try and not straighten it as much see what happens, but the thing i don't get is the hair that is there is in a nice condition and not frazzled so i don't know why it wants to fall out on me dammit!
    To be honest, I have no idea. See I'm helpful ;) But I know what your talking about. From what you have written it sounds very similar to what my mom and I both suffer from. Poor Ed, every other week pulls a hairball the size of a small dog out of the shower drain, and god forbid anyone sees whats in the sink. :\ My mom went to the dr about it sometime last year. I'm not sure what she said or exactly what he said, but pretty much they had no idea why and wasn't anything they could do. So she asked her stylist and she reccomended a hair product that she seems satisfied with. She says its helping. I've emailed her and asked for the brand. However its one of those products that are only sold by specifically licensed stylists. But maybe. Trust, I wish I knew more!!
    my hair sort of went like this a few weeks ago, though not as extreme as i got it cut before it got too bad

Your hair is probably breaking off about half way up

If i were you, i'd go and have a good trim and get a style that wont require as much heat styling

Also, condition it to death. Leave in conditioners are good. And if you *have* to straighten, use some heat protective serum on the ends first.

After having 6 inches off mine its gone back to its original thickness again.
    Everyday were supposed to lose upto 100 hairs, or something. So, it could be that your just losing a little more than the average.

Are you straightening it everyday? If so, this could be the problem - makes the hairs snap off, so they could be looking shorter? Erm, also, heat damage. If you don't use any protection for your hair it could cause it to become thinner cos you are damaging your hair.

You could always talk to your hairdresser you go to. They should help if you tell them whats going on.
    It is called Nioxin. There are different formulas for thinning /color or non-colored hair. I think it has helped my hair. I don’t lose as much as I used to.

(from my mom)
    i know it doesn't explain why you're losing more hair than you used to, and i know you're not naturally that blonde...but if you're natural hair colour is light then you lose the most hair out of all hair colours each day, for a natural blonde its about 150-200 hairs lost a day.

only thing i can think of is stress! that makes your hair fall out
    Hairbrushes can also damage your hair, if you use cheepy/plastic-cy ones. My hair was in really bad condition and snapping a lot, even tho i was conditioning it a lot, i went to the hair dresser and they recomended getting a better hair brush. The Mason Pearson ones are really good, i have one, they are quite expensive but they last years. They're also really good for the scalp and stimulate hair growth....
    my_name wrote:
    It is called Nioxin. There are different formulas for thinning /color or non-colored hair. I think it has helped my hair. I don’t lose as much as I used to.

(from my mom)

Cheers manda, i'll look into that see if we do it over here :thumb:
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I have seen it over here beans, so you can get it. Something I don't think anyone else has mentioned is the dietary factor, quite often skin, hair and nail condition is down to minerals and vitamins being depleted in our bodies. This may be down to a change in diet or bigger issues. It may be a combination of loads of things, and afaik, stress can make things like this worse - I guess I am saying that if you are really concerned about it, stop straightening & dyeing for a bit, see your hairdresser, or a dietician, or a GP...