Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

They have outlawed the one man protest

The Law Lords have decided with the government in regards to the anti-war protester outside Parliment, he has to get permission to protest just like the rest of us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4983780.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Proving yet again that those claiming to represent "democracy" make laws which only serve themselves not the public.

Quelle surprise!
    He's clearly a security risk with those banners and flags, he could just explode at any moment.
    On a personal level he's an eyesore and a bloody irritant to everyone round there and several times I've felt an urge to grab a weapon of one the police outside Parliament and riddle him with bullets. The fact none of them has done so speaks wonders for their professionalism.

On a political level - people should have the right to be irritants.
    Ooooh, yes he must be signalling to the shadowy Al Qaeda air squadrons invisibly circling Westminster!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    bongbudda wrote:
    He's clearly a security risk with those banners and flags, he could just explode at any moment.
    :lol:

Well, we get more totalitarian than ever, and nobody does anything. The story as it has always been, is, and will always be I guess.
    NQA wrote:
    On a personal level he's an eyesore and a bloody irritant to everyone round there and several times I've felt an urge to grab a weapon of one the police outside Parliament and riddle him with bullets. The fact none of them has done so speaks wonders for their professionalism.

what you'd like to do to him is far worse than what he's ever done to us

he doesn't harass people, infact he shys away from people, he's a nice fella me and luby bought him and his friends a cup of tea in the middle of winter for the fine work he is doing

lets hope he sticks it out
    Since the man was there well before the new laws were introduced an expection should have been made with him.

You have to wonder whether he would have been allowed to continue if he hadn't been protesting about Bliar.
    Yes well NQA, we understand how violently opposed you are to any legitimate display of civic duty which seeks to call elected officials to account. Must trouble your sense of unquestioned subservience to authority no end. :rolleyes:
    The government had introduced the legislation with the specific intent of forcing Mr Haw to abandon his post.

Does anyone else see something very, very wrong with this?
    Come back Guy Fawkes and finish what you started! ;)
    Yes well NQA, we understand how violently opposed you are to any legitimate display of civic duty which seeks to call elected officials to account. Must trouble your sense of unquestioned subservience to authority no end. :rolleyes:

Did you read my second point?
    Yes, but it had all the conviction of a Bush admin claim to belief in the principles of freedom and democracy by comparison to your more vociferous (dare say psycopathic) preceeding viewpoint.
    Yes, but it had all the conviction of a Bush admin claim to belief in the principles of freedom and democracy by comparison to your more vociferous (dare say psycopathic) preceeding viewpoint.

Ever heard of the term 'tongue in cheek'?
    Hopefully this is only just the beginning of life on earth.

Beginning of a terrible end to life on earth for far too many of us, I fear.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Beginning of a terrible end to life on earth for far too many of us, I fear.

WE can prevent it... it just takes that those of us with the will and kowledge, and the desire to change things stand up and do it.

However, the system itselfs with the mass media is well adapted to subdueing people and keeping them dumb and down... we have to break free and let others know they can to.
    NQA wrote:

On a political level - people should have the right to be irritants.
    You'd soon complain if you were Tibetan and incarcerated and tortured for owning a picture of the Dalai Lama wouldn't you.

Count your blessings, whilst you stll have them.
    You'd soon complain if you were Tibetan and incarcerated and tortured for owning a picture of the Dalai Lama wouldn't you.

Count your blessings, whilst you stll have them.

Er, yes, but we're not. And frankly its a bit stupid to suggest that making protesters get permission before holding a protest (nb protests are not banned) is in some way kind of equivalent to China's repression of the Tibetians or a dozen other problems in the world today.
    Protests are not allowed in Blairland. If there ain't a law already to stop it from the myriad of anti-terror legislation then we'll fucking well make a new one - welcome to parliamentary democracy in Britain today.
    NQA wrote:
    Er, yes, but we're not. And frankly its a bit stupid to suggest that making protesters get permission before holding a protest (nb protests are not banned) is in some way kind of equivalent to China's repression of the Tibetians or a dozen other problems in the world today.
    Because people complain about things like the right to protest and protestors... Of course China is a good comparison... You can't protest there for some things and their human rights record is awful. He probably would have been pumped with bullets in some countries.

See it wouldn't surprise me if the UK ends up like that... They are slowly erroding our rights. What the fuck has an anti-war protestor got to do with terrorism? All he is doing is having his say about this bullshit war.
    \
    Depends if your blocking that public street, creating a problem by loitering, you never know how big a sign or banner a protester shall bring will be.
    subject13 wrote:
    Depends if your blocking that public street, creating a problem by loitering, you never know how big a sign or banner a protester shall bring will be.

so i need permission to stand on the street then and enjoy the sights of london?

because i might get in the way of someone.....

what about if you do ask to protest, say about the police and the government PEACEFULLY, and they say no. What do they expect you to do? if it was me i'd arrange a violent protest......

allowing all law abding peaceful protest without question is something a democratic nation does, as it gives no reason to hold violent protest - if you remove that freedom to protest peacefully, you might as well tell the police to get ready for violence :lol: they're acting like children and unethically, you might as well
    I wonder if the waster will take a shower now - or perhaps even get a job. A long shot I guess.
    so i need permission to stand on the street then and enjoy the sights of london?

because i might get in the way of someone.....

what about if you do ask to protest, say about the police and the government PEACEFULLY, and they say no. What do they expect you to do? if it was me i'd arrange a violent protest......

allowing all law abding peaceful protest without question is something a democratic nation does, as it gives no reason to hold violent protest - if you remove that freedom to protest peacefully, you might as well tell the police to get ready for violence :lol: they're acting like children and unethically, you might as well

my point was whether you are blocking the street, if this is enjoying the sights, as in plural, then you are moving about. If your a one man/woman protestor on a march, as in walking around with a snadwich board on you, then you dont have to ask permission because places like Starbucks do that.
    But if you are standing right outside a particular place, blocking up the street with a sign or banner and creating a nuisance then you should be moved along and shifted, or get permission to cause that nuisance.