Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

uk has largest DNA database in the world

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
many of whom have never been arrested or charged with any offence, and have virtually no powers to get their sample destroyed

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/crime/article362543.ece

scary i think so

personally only those convicted of serious offences should be on police DNA records

Comments

• Options
    It's all part of this useless government's plan to foist ID cards on us. The state is growing ever more powerful as it discovers yet more about us, and interferes forever more in our lives. I agree entirely with what you are saying. Sadly, it will take a person with an iron determination to bring about these changes. Looking at whom we have now, it does not fill me with any confidence this will change soon.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    It's all part of this useless government's plan to foist ID cards on us. The state is growing ever more powerful as it discovers yet more about us, and interferes forever more in our lives. I agree entirely with what you are saying. Sadly, it will take a person with an iron determination to bring about these changes. Looking at whom we have now, it does not fill me with any confidence this will change soon.

this has been done for years

40,000 are added every month and it's getting faster.....
  • Options
    I personally do not have a problem with them holding the DNA of everyone. Most people on here will probably disagree with me but I am all up for it and ID cards come to that.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    I personally do not have a problem with them holding the DNA of everyone. Most people on here will probably disagree with me but I am all up for it and ID cards come to that.

Why?
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    You are endorsing a scheme which will give yet more power to a dangerous and menacing executive. John Reid, the new Home Secretary, could not be trusted to look after a packet of sweets, never mind such delicate information. You are endorsing a scheme which will do nothing to prevent terrorism, do virtually nothing to curb benefit fraud. You are endorsing a scheme that will cost billions to introduce and administer. This is a very bad endorsement. I urge you, join us. Fight these anti-British, expensive and pointless cards.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    So we DO Still have something to be proud of! :D
  • Options
    I dont mind dna on the database, but yep id cards are a total waste of time effort and money
  • Options
    well its hardly surprising is it the way this country is going, i'm just waiting for the knock at the door demanding a urine sample or something, lol i'll give them a sample of my urine alright ;) .......most people don't really care either way so when they're slapping microchips on us 5-10 years down the line I'm sure we'll all be familiar with that old adage 'what have you got to hide?'.......
  • Options
    well its hardly surprising is it the way this country is going, i'm just waiting for the knock at the door demanding a urine sample or something, lol i'll give them a sample of my urine alright ;)
    I'd certainly like to shit on Tony Blair from a great height. Wait until he's doing a speech right outside a block of apartments, kneel out of the balcony and let rip some Prime Ministerial crap. :yuck:
  • Options
    Go TEAM UK, Police State for the 21st century. We can watch your every move and even know your genetic makeup before you commit a crime!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'd certainly like to shit on Tony Blair from a great height. Wait until he's doing a speech right outside a block of apartments, kneel out of the balcony and let rip some Prime Ministerial crap. :yuck:

*knock knock*

'may we speak to stargalaxy?'

:lol:
  • Options
    *knock knock*

'may we speak to stargalaxy?'

:lol:
    It's ok, Danny didn't tell them his real name.

Ooops.

Back on point, that doesn't sit well with me. I can't eloquently put my finger on why but it really makes me uneasy.
  • Options
    Having a database isn't actually a problem.

It's how it's used that is the worry.
  • Options
    I think having a DNA Database for crime fighting is fine, I mean come on if someone you knew was raped or killed it would be sweet if they could just tap it in and bring up the details.

It would be a worry however if that information was to fall into the wrong hands or be used for anything dodgy! :(
  • Options
    I think having a DNA Database for crime fighting is fine, I mean come on if someone you knew was raped or killed it would be sweet if they could just tap it in and bring up the details.

It would be a worry however if that information was to fall into the wrong hands or be used for anything dodgy! :(

Agreed with everything that's been mentioned here.
  • Options
    Of course, our Government are in no way dodgy or corrupt so there is nothing to worry about. Right?
  • Options

people who have never been convicted of crimes are on it, people who have never been charged are on it, with little or no way of getting themselves removed from it

you either operate one for people convicted of serious crimes, one for everyone in uk, or none at all in my opinion - at the moment we have neither and id only like to see the serious crimes one
  • Options
    I think it should be one for everyone. I'm on it already though so I don't care haha!
  • Options
    no different than whats already been done in iceland
  • Options
    such a huge ammount of personal information held on one database ...so attractive to the crooked.
    someone will be working out how to acsess that information right now but ...
    thers nothing we can do about it.
    our technology is pushing us down this road.
    electronics manufacturers haven't managed to produce much else of anythoing the domestic customer will want to buy ...for a couple of years now.
    we all have sophisticated communications audio visual etc.
    but ...the miniturisation of imaging and tracking and recognition hardware and it's reletive cheapness means ...someones going to buy it ...from small businesses upwards.
    survielance and security are npow huge industries ...so your screwed.