Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why it pays to do work in advance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Today, I am doing my entire project writup. This grade, if below 50%, may make or break my university application. The moral of the story? Do your work in advance!

Comments

• Options
    i was like that last wednesday,

just keep goinmg and if you really run out of time bullet point things as you will still get some marks for them

good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    I prefer to do my work on overtime:D
  • Options
    Do your work in advance!
    wise words :yes:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You are right, yes. However, I like to do my work with a bit of pressure. If I think "gah, got lots of time to do it" I don't do it properly first time round and end up having to redo most of it (if that makes any sense).

Hope you get it done ok.
  • Options
    I've still not started to be fair.
    I'm not sure how to go about it really, I know if I do it economically and cover all the points in mild detail I'll pick up enough marks (ive done the practical which gives me most of the 50% anyway, if not all of it). Im normally a perfectionist and would do everything in too much detail, so right now just trying to look at how I can do just a little bit.

Sigh.
  • Options
    I've still not started to be fair.
    I'm not sure how to go about it really,
    STEP 1 would be stop posting on these boards for a while and get stuck into your work... :p
    when is the deadline?
  • Options
    So get off the fucking computer and do your work!! :p Seriously, you need to motivate yourself or you won't get it done properly. It takes me hours to get into the zone and get the work flowing out, so earlier is most definitely better. Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    STEP 1 would be stop posting on these boards for a while and get stuck into your work... :p
    when is the deadline?

tomorrow...
  • Options
    tomorrow...
    owch!
    think about how crap you will feel if you don't make that deadline - that should give you some motorvation.
    now... close your internet browser... and get started! :)
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    now... close your internet browser... and get started! :)
    But it's soooo difficult lol, I'm 'struggling' to do some stupid ICT work at the mo. :grump:
  • Options
    Today, I am doing my entire project writup. This grade, if below 50%, may make or break my university application. The moral of the story? Do your work in advance!

you mean do your work when you get in, NOT the night/morning before it's due? When I was doing Maths A-Level, I used to always do my homework the morning before it was due in - not recommeded...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    you mean do your work when you get in, NOT the night/morning before it's due? When I was doing Maths A-Level, I used to always do my homework the morning before it was due in - not recommeded...
    I used to 'do' my chemistry homework at A-level when I got into the lesson and realised I hadn't done it, and had to 'borrow' somebody else's answers!
  • Options
    I used to 'do' my chemistry homework at A-level when I got into the lesson and realised I hadn't done it, and had to 'borrow' somebody else's answers!

That's very naughty. However, once or twice I'd done half of my Law homework and claim that I was only correcting my answers... :blush:
  • Options
    It's easy to blag it if you get on with the teacher quite well...I just used to sweet talk them or have a random conversation about anything else other than homework, and it soon distracted them!
  • Options
    i always think how much more fun it'd be to not do the work, i've managed to get all the way through gcse and a level missing tons of work... i kind of feel sorry for the ones that spend hours and hours :(
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    i always think how much more fun it'd be to not do the work, i've managed to get all the way through gcse and a level missing tons of work... i kind of feel sorry for the ones that spend hours and hours :(

You should do the work. I didn't do much A-Level work (well, I did work that was set and sometimes did some reading) and am now paying for it...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    You should do the work. I didn't do much A-Level work (well, I did work that was set and sometimes did some reading) and am now paying for it...

I spose so... with work stuff that i don't enjoy I just tend to put minimum effort in and be content in the knowledge tham i'm capable of better ;p
  • Options
    I'm so glad I have finished college! :p
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    I spose so... with work stuff that i don't enjoy I just tend to put minimum effort in and be content in the knowledge tham i'm capable of better ;p

Why are you doing something you don't enjoy? :confused:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

I have a feeling I may be paying for this tomorrow... oh dear. But at least I've learnt my lesson!
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Why are you doing something you don't enjoy? :confused:

well i didnt know i wouldnt enjoy it when i signed up to the course ;p

plus i don't think that much work is fun as such.. some of it's interesting but there are always more interesting things (ie drinking or competitive stuff :))
  • Options
    I have about a week to do as much as possible of my college project (including getting appendix) so that I can drop it like a stone in a week and ignore it until I get my exams done! I should have done it last autumn when I had the initial idea, not now! I never learnt my lessons from previous years.
  • Options
    I was up until 4.10am on a Monday night doing my A level ICT coursework 6 weeks after it was due in. Hell knows how I managed it, got up at 6.30am as well.

Have I learnt from that? No. :banghead:
  • Options
    I was up until 4.10am on a Monday night doing my A level ICT coursework 6 weeks after it was due in. Hell knows how I managed it, got up at 6.30am as well.

Have I learnt from that? No. :banghead:

Hey, I'm doing my ICT coursework :p. Mind you, the due in date is tomorrow. But it has to be sent to the exam board a week after, so yanno... not really much leeway. :(
  • Options
    Well I did mine on the last day of the Easter holidays just gone.

It was originally due in after February half term. I figured she wouldn't mark it for weeks anyway, so I was better off keeping it and finishing it than handing half a project in. ;)

Then she demanded it before easter. So I handed in what I'd done in a last minute panic on the day we broke up (having done business coursework that morning). I would've got 21 marks for that, as had lost my user guide and testing, and only included half the first two sections. :rolleyes:

She rang my parents and said that because I work hard normally I could have easter to give it another go. So I had another go, on the day before we went back. And I didn't start it until 3pm-ish.

Why do I never learn? :eek2:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    muse- wrote:

That is what I am doing right now. REgretting not doing it.

I had to do my Philosophy 4 hour timed essay (exam conditions, 4000 words plus, 4000 is MINIMUM) off the top of my head with little to no preperation.

I hope it is good enough. ;'(
  • Options
    Well I did mine on the last day of the Easter holidays just gone.

It was originally due in after February half term. I figured she wouldn't mark it for weeks anyway, so I was better off keeping it and finishing it than handing half a project in. ;)

Then she demanded it before easter. So I handed in what I'd done in a last minute panic on the day we broke up (having done business coursework that morning). I would've got 21 marks for that, as had lost my user guide and testing, and only included half the first two sections. :rolleyes:

She rang my parents and said that because I work hard normally I could have easter to give it another go. So I had another go, on the day before we went back. And I didn't start it until 3pm-ish.

Why do I never learn? :eek2:

I only need 12 marks. Why am I working so hard, I don't know. But my teacher is new and marks REALLY strictly. My last one would say 'there is evidence of annotated screenshots' and give me the tick. This one, says if I haven't annotated every single f*cking picture diagram to death then I cant have the bloody tick. Stupid in my book. I have the ability to do it, I can prove that easy enough, but not the motivation to keep doing the same thing over and over and over again.

This time he's lazy though and has asked us to fill in the page refs. so I'm just making sure the page refs. I give him are full of evidence ;)

only need 12/24 :( sigh.
  • Options
    Well since I've started I've done 31 pages. And I had an hour long conversation to my girlfriend. On the last document now (out of three) but apparently its the longest.

My table of contents:
    Design and Analysis 3
    Identifying the Data 3
    Entity Relationship Diagram 3
    Normalisation 4
    Entity and Attribute Descriptions 5
    Database Design 6
    Queries 6
    Forms 7
    Reports 9
    Testing and Development Plan 11
    Test Plan 11
    Development Plan 12

User Documentation 13
    Introduction 13
    Starting up the Program 13
    Main Screen 13
    Adding a New Customer 14
    Adding a New Stock Item 17
    Issuing a New Loan 17
    Return a Loan 18
    Showing the Stock List 20
    Printing a Membership Card 22
    Closing Down the Application 24

Technical Documentation 25
    Database Layout 25
    Tables 26
    Forms 28

Relationships 31
    Database Operation 31
    Adding Data 31
    Deleting Data 31
    Editing Data 31
    Data Dictionary 31
    Validation 31
    Data Dictionary 31
    Queries 31
    Reports 31
    Query Based 31
    Grouping 31
    Arithmetic Formulae 31
    Test Log 31
    Test Summary 31
    Evidence 31
    Development Log 31
    Changes to Original Plan 31

And I've done everything in italics red. So not too much more to do, hopefully.
  • Options
    Bit more, not much though :( slow progress sigh. Almost onto the data dictionary. 38 pages
  • Options
    up to 41 pages. I think I'm getting slower! :( down to where it says 'reports' now though. Thank god. Only:

Reports 31
    - Query Based 31
    - Grouping 31
    - Arithmetic Formulae 31

Test Log 31
    - Test Summary 31
    - Evidence 31

Development Log 31
    - Changes to Original Plan 31

to go :D