Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can't wait for Uni!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Uni is what you want it to be. So be excited! Make friends! Go to all the themed parties! Go to the frisbee time first meeting for the banter! Do it all!

Yas...

x

you can't go to themed parties and whatnot if your pissing uni don't hold them. :grump:

and no smart arses telling me to arrange one myself please. :thumb:
  • Options
    It's no big deal. I preffered college, but going out and getting completely wasted isn't really my thing. Infact i don't really like students that much, especially the ones who go out dressed up as various members of uniformed services, or all wearing specially printed t shirts.
    Maybe i'm just bitter because they're probably having a better time then me though.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    Nooo! I'm only just reaching the end of my first year, but uni is guid!!!

Uni is what?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Uni is what?

I wondered the same, until I read it again, and I believe it's an attempt at an Ace Ventura 'it's goood'.
  • Options
    or all wearing specially printed t shirts.

I know what you mean. You can spot em a mile off. Hate those stupid t shirts, not funny.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    I wondered the same, until I read it again, and I believe it's an attempt at an Ace Ventura 'it's goood'.

Actually, it's just Scottish slang for good. Read it as 'gid'.

:P
  • Options
    How about as an alternative, you just type it properly?
  • Options
    How about I'm Scottish and it's not my fault we have a dialect.
    So I'll use it.

lest i dnt spk liek dis on da 4ums n stuf
  • Options
    Socially, I have had an incredible time at uni but I was lucky - I ended up being president of a society in my first year and that works wonders for self-esteem and getting to know people. But this year has been really tough. I've had health problems, two of my modules have been really really hard and I'm set to fail one (exam tomorrow, on a break, wish me luuuuuck!) but I'm here because I want to be and I'm going to pass my degree, dammit. Sometimes it's the toughest thing I ever did (quite seriously, even though I found school really hard) but I'm getting there, I love it, and I'm determined to finish.

Most people, as Fiend says, love Uni regardless of the small stuff.
  • Options
    Personally, I spend most of the time actively dreading the start of uni. If it does turn out to be half-decent, it will surpass pretty much all my expectations. I dread going to a new city and living with people I've never met before. I dread the financial implications, and the idea I could soon be in thousands of pounds of debt scares the hell out of me. (and I suspect many students who say debt doesn't scare them are deluding themselves) I'm not excited in the slightest. Right now though, I've got other things to get on with, so I don't let it worry me much.
  • Options
    I can't wait. The sooner September comes, the better as far as I'm concerned.

I've done the uni thing before and had an amazing time, so my only worry is that this time won't be as good. But I see no reason why it shouldn't be - it'll be a lot different, but it's what you make of it.

I think it helps that I've had a good experience before though. My main worry is that I won't feel as independent cos I'm only moving down the road in comparison to the 200 miles I moved last time!
  • Options
    Wheres everyone heading off too this year? Me ... Aston :D
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Wheres everyone heading off too this year? Me ... Aston :D
    UWE Bristol, but strongly suspecting I should have chosen MMU.
  • Options
    Oooo have a mate going there.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Oooo have a mate going there.
    Which one?
  • Options
    To Bristol. Sounds nice and looks nice from what i've heard and seen.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    To Bristol. Sounds nice and looks nice from what i've heard and seen.
    Same here, but I haven't seen it myself yet, hence why I'm so agitated.
  • Options
    I'm not worried at all anymore :D got my accomadation through today so im just getting all excited.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    I'm not worried at all anymore :D got my accomadation through today so im just getting all excited.
    I sent off the form in question today, so they'll probably be getting that next week. Here's hoping I get something decent, and preferably not into the student village with nearly 2000 others.
  • Options
    Yeah but the social aspect of that would be good :D
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Yeah but the social aspect of that wpuld be good :D
    Not me. I find the idea of being surrounded by nearly 2000 other students at halls absolutely terrifying. 2000 people, most of whom have never met before, suddenly having to live with each other. Such a concept just fills me with fear, rather than excitement.
  • Options
    Im sure you'll love it after you've met some nice people and settled in.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Im sure you'll love it after you've met some nice people and settled in.
    Until that happens though, I suspect I'll carry on dreading it. I'm hardly comfortable in groups as it is - look at any picture of me taken at a site meet for evidence. God knows how I'm gonna cope if I end up in the biggest block of them all.
  • Options
    Stargalaxy - Majority (if not all) of UWEs accomodation is new. Well it's still being built. You'll probably get a better place to live than at most uni's so wouldn't moan too much. Also Bristol is very student orientated. There are clubs and bars everywhere. So get ready to do some serious partying :thumb:
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Stargalaxy - Majority (if not all) of UWEs accomodation is new. Well it's still being built. You'll probably get a better place to live than at most uni's so wouldn't moan too much. Also Bristol is very student orientated. There are clubs and bars everywhere. So get ready to do some serious partying :thumb:
    That's part of why I chose Bristol. I'd read a lot about students rating this city very highly, and one reason I'm going to university is to force myself out of this shell I'm in at the moment. I don't like being this person who's lonely all the time, and whilst the idea of being around so many students terrifies me now, I know it's gotta be done. The Student Village was meant to be ready by September this year, and having seen the rent on that, (£90 per week including bills) I can see it must have been a big investment.

As for partying, again, I'm pretty anxious about the idea, but if it comes with the territory, so be it. I'm certainly not one of these people you'd find at a rock concert, and as I can't stand rock, I probably never will be, but if it is as student-orientated as you claim, I must assume there's something there I'll like.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    That's part of why I chose Bristol. I'd read a lot about students rating this city very highly, and one reason I'm going to university is to force myself out of this shell I'm in at the moment. I don't like being this person who's lonely all the time, and whilst the idea of being around so many students terrifies me now, I know it's gotta be done. The Student Village was meant to be ready by September this year, and having seen the rent on that, (£90 per week including bills) I can see it must have been a big investment.

As for partying, again, I'm pretty anxious about the idea, but if it comes with the territory, so be it. I'm certainly not one of these people you'd find at a rock concert, and as I can't stand rock, I probably never will be, but if it is as student-orientated as you claim, I must assume there's something there I'll like.

It is nearly ready. Well from the road it looks finished!

It's a good sized city, but not huge (400,000 approx) so even though we have lots of places to go to, the majority are within walking distance of each other. There is always loads of people out on a night, any day of the week (buy one get one free on pints - tuesday night, can't go wrong!) and there really is something for everyone. I'm sure it'll help you come out of your shell no probs.

Just avoid us non student teenage city folk. We're mainly chavs :p
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    It is nearly ready. Well from the road it looks finished!

It's a good sized city, but not huge (400,000 approx) so even though we have lots of places to go to, the majority are within walking distance of each other. There is always loads of people out on a night, any day of the week (buy one get one free on pints - tuesday night, can't go wrong!) and there really is something for everyone. I'm sure it'll help you come out of your shell no probs.

Just avoid us non student teenage city folk. We're mainly chavs :p
    I'll bear that in mind. I'll be visiting for a few days next month, I suppose it depends on what I see then.