Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Psychology?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm starting sixth form college in september and have chosen 3 out of the 4 a-level courses I want to do. I am undecided about the forth. But I am thinking about doing Psychology along with Art, Media Studies and English Language. Do you think this is a good range of subjects? I am also thinking about becoming an Art Therapist in the future so do you think I have made a good choice? Do you think the work load would be too much?

When we applied for the college, we had to put down what we were thinking of taking when we start there, but we don't have to make a formal decision until after we get our GCSE results. I just hope I do get a place on the Psychology course as alot of people are wanting to do it. I don't want it to be too late to put it down as an option as maybe because of the amount of people wanted to take it, they might not let me. What do you think?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds like a good choice to me, especially if you want to do Art Therapy later on in life. If you choose to do a degree that is along those sorts of lines then your choices sound fine.
    From what I see of the artists at college...they have so much coursework...you have to be prepared to do a lot of work outside of lessons for a subject like that. Also English has coursework...and psychology has a bit too. I don't know how much coursework is in media but I think it can be a lot. Just a thought...the subjects you are doing may mean a hell of a lot of work outside college!
    One of my friend chose similar subjects to you - media, art, psychology and lit and lang combined. Yeah there is a lot of coursework but she had free periods to do that and it didn't consume too much of her out-of-college time. Doing psychology she did a lot of coursework in lessons (I was in her class) and it wasn't hugely overwhelming unless you avoided it to the last minute.

I think you've got a great range of subjects which you can apply else where if you change your mind about becoming an art therapist.

My personal experience of psychology also was it was really interesting, and I usually quite a enjoyed the coursework as the research I was doing was interesting too.
    You don't actually need to choose 4 subjects - 3 is the minimum I think?
    I found that with psychology AS level, there wasn't that much work to do for the majority of the terms, there was homework, but not much. The hard part was at the end when you had to memorise everything for the exam, so for me, most of the workload was at the end when i was trying to revise for my other subjects aswell
    Have you actually spoken to anyone who does Psychology yet? I did this and borrowed a friend's textbook. I had a quick look through and it looked really complicated.
    I'm going to the open evening on Wednesday, and I'm going to go to the Psychology department to have a look and ask questions, see if it is the course for me.
    I can take 3 or 4 AS Level, it depends on my GCSE results.
    When I first decided to go to college, it was one of the courses that stood out to me. So if I don't take it, I'm always going to be thinking 'What if?'.
    I really enjoyed my psychology A level. I had quite a lot of work, but no more so than for any of my other A levels. It's a good choice :thumb:
    How much work did you get per lesson/week?
    I can't remember specifically, it was a while ago. The amount of work also varies depending on the leturer.
    I do psychology as a degree but didn't do it for A-level so can't really help you there. If you have any questions about the degree though, feel free to ask.
    I thought it would be fun to do Psychology as it was to do with the brains workings etc..In my OWN opinion i thought it was a load of crap and dropped it after 7 weeks of the course and swapped it! But if you really do have the concentration for it, then go for it as it can be an interesting subject!
    Sofie wrote:
    Have you actually spoken to anyone who does Psychology yet? I did this and borrowed a friend's textbook. I had a quick look through and it looked really complicated.

Thing is, you are taught it so, it makes sense once it's taught and also I had a psychology book which I used very little of - only relevant case studies - it's not always a case of 'this book has to be learnt back to front'. They're source material for research, to learn about and doesn't include all of it.
    I went to the open evening and had a chat with the subject teacher, and it sounds really boring so I've decided not to take it.
    __tink wrote:
    I went to the open evening and had a chat with the subject teacher, and it sounds really boring so I've decided not to take it.

What have you decided to take instead? And you don't need to make your final decision until the day after your GCSE results come out - you have a meeting then to check courses and other stuff.
    I studied Psych at A Level and it was the most boring crap I'd ever "learnt". Awful - the teachers were crap at their jobs and so our A Levels were learned through reading a textbook back to front and memorising it for the exams.

Good on you for not taking it. Ilora x
    Well I like practical lessons more than just sitting there and writing. I've got a feeling I might have to resit my Maths GCSE, which is in June (absolutely shitting myself as I'm doing Higher Tier). Anyway, I still haven't decided what other A-Level to do. I don't want to decide after I get my results because I have my next interview a few days after I get my results on the 24th August. I just want a vague idea =] But as you can see, Psychology is out of the question!