Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

weird dress style worky question...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, as the weather is pretty nice today there has been quite a few different outfits going on and i wanted opinions. basically its a office environment and we dress accordingly.

today there are people with shorts, flip flops, and even people who have taken their shoes and socks off...hmmm

im not a fussy bugger by all accounts but dont you think this is unprofessional? ive come in a standard shirt and trousers as this is whats expected but other people say "i cant work in this heat"

am i just being weird.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    not very professional no, but it does of course depend what type of job you're in.

probably not allowed to wear flip-flops 'cause of health and safety reasons?
    yeah im sure flip flops arnt very safe, especially as some of these people have to go into a warehouse. gawd i dont even know what im blabbering about, what do i care if they break their feet through being silly.

the one that bothered me most was people taking their shoes and socks off, how minging is that.
    Surely with the weather like it is, if the office will allow it, you would want to dress casually... I think it has alot to do with weather your customer facing or not.

I dont have to deal with customers too much, and i'm an engineer at work, so I just ware a company branded polo shirt and jeans which is ok.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    JamesZero wrote:
    Surely with the weather like it is, if the office will allow it, you would want to dress casually... I think it has alot to do with weather your customer facing or not.

Why should they, though? I know that when I worked in one company, no matter what the temperature was you *had* to follow the dress code incase the big boss people came by.

You are still at work and you need to be professional and not change what you are supposed to be wearing.
    Why should they, though? I know that when I worked in one company, no matter what the temperature was you *had* to follow the dress code incase the big boss people came by.

What I ment was that if the company allows it, then why not?
    If your going against company policy to do it, then fair enough... your taking the piss!

But from what Koe said, it seemed like alot of people were doing it, so I assume its acceptable...

Although I do agree... taking your shoes and socks off at work is a bit wrong... and minging!
    The office is so warm today. Doesn't help that the air conditioning has packed in and we do not have any windows that can open. People are just wearing what they normally do. There ar e a few items that the MD says we are not allowed to wear and everyone sticks to it - shorts, sleeveless tops and caps.
    I would prefer to wear smarter more formal clothes but adapt it so that I'm not too hot, so maybe work without a tie and have top button undone (for the guys) and maybe wearing a skirt and cool top for the girls, or just open some windows. If I went to work in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops I would feel like I was lazing around at home and so wouldn't be in the mood to work.
    Where I used to work, some of the women would come in in just vest tops (and, no, no bra was not advisable for them! *shudder*). I always wore skirts below the knee and tops with sleeves or at least wide shoulder straps - always the type of thing you would find in the officewear section of the Next Directory! The blokes always had to wear shirt and tie, but on very hot days they were told they could take their ties off and undo their top buttons - but this was only allowed once the boss annouced it on the day, and he usually surrounded himself with fans and wasn't bothered about the heat, so very rarely annouced it was, officially according to him, hot!

Now I work in the offices of a factory. When I started at the end of February (when there was still snow on the ground!) I was told not to wear skirts as it was a very male environment and they weren't suitable to wear if I had to go down to the factory. This was fine by me, cos I don't especially like skirts and wear trousers 99% of the time anyway. Now the heating has broken and is permanently on! The boiler room thingy is right outside my office and we're all boiling even when it's cloudy outside. I dread to think what it'll be like in July!
    Work arn't too strict on what we where becuase we very rarely meet the public/customers (we are internet based). As long as we dont dress slutty or like tramps we can get away with most things.
    I always got more work done on casual friday purely because I felt more comfortable sat behind my desk. I wasn't customer facing though.

Saying that, some of the outfits......I mean...... white cowboy boots fer christ's sake......
    I love my work's dress code. As long as its not offensive to others. (and no open toed shoes on the floor for safty reasons)
    But I dont work on the floor so today was my hot pink Super Grover t-shirt and flip flops and jeans :cool:

I dont understand dress codes at alot of places. Especially offices where nobody outside the company comes in, nobody to impress, why is there a need for such business attire?
    my_name wrote:
    I dont understand dress codes at alot of places. Especially offices where nobody outside the company comes in, nobody to impress, why is there a need for such business attire?

its all about being professional, there are a lot of people who think that if people dress smartly (shirt/tie etc..) it leads to more professional attitudes from their employees.

doesnt bother me one bit what i have to wear for work, its not a fasion show, i go to earn money and im not particularly bothered about impressing the people i work with, if im seeing clients that day i will make an effort tho
    I wear Jeans and Trainers to work most of the time - i'm paid on how good my work is not what I look like. However I think this might be mainly a london/ arty thing - nearly all of my friends can wear anything they want, I probably wouldn't apply for a job if there was a strict dress code.

I'd like to think that i have the intelligence to know when its appropriate to wear smart clothes and when i can just turn up in jeans (like today) - obviously if I was seeing an important person - member of a government department or a politician i'd dress up nicely.

Having said that shorts should only be worn on the beach and flip flops and sandles on men should NEVER EVER be worn and you should always adhere to health and safety regulations - i'm cringing now just thinking about dropping something onto unprotected toes.