Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Recommend a book?

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i love all the adrian mole books and anything classic, and i would definately recommend to kill a mocking bird.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    depends how you define 'badly' though. in a lot of languages there is no direct translation for most phrases, so to make the book make sense at all, much less as a whole, they have to re-write it. translation is more than just popping it all into babelfish and churning out the literal meaning in english.
    Yes, I realise that... I translate Portuguese/ English myself and there are loads of words and expressions that are incommensurable between these two languages.

By "badly" I mean that a lot of the meaning and sentiment is lost. I think they deliberately cropped out huge chunks when the book was translated into English just to make it more marketable in the English speaking world. Which isn't really "translating" as "adapting". If they had focused on preserving Coelho's original sentiment rather than making it something that would appeal to a huge mass market and feature at the top of the book charts for weeks on end it would have been a much better book.
  • Options
    The georgia nicolson series by louise rennison! Hilarious. I think they're the only books that have ever made me laugh out loud.

My favourite book is Flowers in the attic by Virginia Andrews. So moving - a very serious book.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    By "badly" I mean that a lot of the meaning and sentiment is lost. I think they deliberately cropped out huge chunks when the book was translated into English just to make it more marketable in the English speaking world. Which isn't really "translating" as "adapting".

aye, but surely you have to translate the meaning as well as just the words? i'm not talking specifically about one book, but generally. you have to write to an audience, and if you are changing the target audience, then you have to change the writing.

anyway, getting a bit hijacky now! back to recommendations.

read microserfs by douglas coupland. especially if you are a bit geeky. :yes:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Kermit wrote:

I've read the Time-Traveler's Wife about ten times now. It always gets me at the end. The last two or three pages have such powerful imagery, for me it sums up love completely and makes me appreciate what I have.

Another book that gets me is The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

:yes: Both fantastic reads - I strongly recommend "The Shadow of the Wind" By Carlos Ruiz Zafon. People I know who loved the above, also adore this one.
  • Options
    The Stand by Stephen King.

It's long, and I didn't get bored at all.

Also, try 1984 (George Orwell), and Catch 22 (like someone else suggested). Although I really do need to finish the second one...

And you can try An Evil Cradling by Brian Keenan, if ya like real life stuff.
  • Options
    Well I am reading Marian Keyes - Further under the duvet. Its a good read as its made up of short funny little stories. Might be suitable for your long journy.
  • Options
    im still in to harry potter!! i know it might be a bit sad but i cant help myself reading it over and over again!

keep smiling people
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    The georgia nicolson series by louise rennison! Hilarious. I think they're the only books that have ever made me laugh out loud.

:yes:

I still gotta read The Lovely Bones... but waiting list at the library is so long
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    air babylon

so funny :D
    That book was great, i laughed sooo much. i fly alot with work, have always been very nice to both ground and air staff, but after reading that i'm even nicer to them.

Did you figure out who the airline was? Fly to the middle east, not a major airline, but not quite budget. And fly from Gatwick.
  • Options
    You should all read the Dan Brown books. Great.

Especially The Da Vinci Code
  • Options
    The Da Vinci Code is one of the worst books I've ever read, and I've read Jeffrey Archer's back catalogue.

On a positive note, I'd like to recommend "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver to anyone who's looking for an excellent and absorbing read. It's an epic, beautifully written and I just can't rave about it enough. My love of it is magnified by the fact I got it for 29p in a charity shop.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    The Da Vinci Code is one of the worst books I've ever read, and I've read Jeffrey Archer's back catalogue.

Agreed (on the first part; I have never read a Lord Archer book in my life and I'm proud).

Julio Cortazar - All Fires The Fire
    Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
    Nikolai Gogol - The Nose
    Franz Kafka - Metamorphosis
    Italo Calvino - If On A Winter's Night A Traveller
    Anything by Cervantes - the man is a fucking genius.
  • Options
    Agreed (on the first part; I have never read a Lord Archer book in my life and I'm proud).

You don't know what you're missing... :p;)
    Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
    Franz Kafka - Metamorphosis
    Italo Calvino - If On A Winter's Night A Traveller

Fucking great recs there, Dostoevsky is phenomenal. Everyone should read "The Idiot".
  • Options
    Dostoevsky is another absolute genius. People tend to read Crime and Punishment and that's it but his other stuff is soooo much better. And often longer. Idiot is great.
  • Options
    Da Vinci Code is shitey. Well, not shitey, I *quite* liked it. But Angels and Demons is SO much better.
  • Options
    Oh, and just because I can't keep my mouth shut, I have to anti-recommend 'The Lovely Bones'.

At very best, it is one of the most bizarrely overrated pieces of rubbish ever published and at worst, a poorly constructed, manipulative and (to me) offensive donation to any charity shop currently accepting book donations. Ok, it wasn't that bad for the first 2/3 of the book, but then a plot twist is thrown in from which it never recovers.

We should have a "thesite" reading group, so we can all thrash hell out of one another's opinions. I'd like that. ;)
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Well I'm reading a book at the moment called "The little prisoner" by Jane Elliot. I'm half way through it at the moment and I think its really really good.
    iv just read that. it was really good
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    You don't know what you're missing... :p;)

Fucking great recs there, Dostoevsky is phenomenal. Everyone should read "The Idiot".

Yeah The Brothers Karamazov is problably my favourite book of all time, I've started reading the Idiot too.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Oh no, Briggi...I quite liked The Da Vinci code. Does this mean the wedding's off? :crying:

I know it's not great literature or anything, I just thought it was a good story in a trashy, brainmush sort of way. :blush:

Never mind, let's start bashing The Lovely Bones together again and rekindle our love...

The bond of The Lovely Bones hatred is strong enough to overcome even that lapse in taste. ;):p
  • Options
    My mom just got done reading Memoirs of Giesha for her book club. She said it was very good and reccomended it.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Are you Dave Gorman by Dave Gorman and Danny Wallace
    or Join Me by Danny Wallace
    both true and easy light reading and laugh out loud funny
    James Pattersons Suzannes Diary for Nicholas is beautiful but will have you crying all the way through and you will want to finish it in a day
  • Options
    "The Beach"

I read it when I was travelling through Thailand, its amazing!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you love love stories, then you will LOVE The Time-Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Go and buy it now, you won't be disappointed.

And its 600 pages, plenty to get your teeth into.

It's probably my favourite book ever. I'm not one for love stories, but this one always makes me cry at the end. It's wonderful.

I also really love this book! I've only read it the once though. I think I might hunt it out and give it another look.

I've just finished reading 'Belle de Jour', the diary of a 'high-class' call girl. I think she originally had an online journal and then it was turned into a book.

Anyway it kept me entertained for a few hours.
  • Options
    I know I already said this, but I highly reccomend Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini. I can't put it down and highly anticipating the final installment. If you like fantasy/action/dark/LOTR type book, you'll love :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I know it's not great literature or anything, I just thought it was a good story in a trashy, brainmush sort of way. :blush:

This is exactly what the Da Vinci Code is though. It is just a mindless, trashy yarn. I never understood all the controversy around it. It's just a story that got big through word of mouth.

Recommendations ... hmmmmm .... most of the books I would recommend have already been mentioned. Have you read Captain Corelli's Mandolin? For a bit of fun I would recommend The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde is a good book too.
  • Options
    :yes:

I still gotta read The Lovely Bones... but waiting list at the library is so long

The lovely bones is very captivating and an easy read, I enjoyed it a lot.

If anyone wants to read something that really gets you thinking try 'Knowledge of Angels' by Jill Paton Walsh

Synopsis from amazon:
    The appearance of two outsiders on a Mediterranean island - one a castaway and atheist, the other a child suckled by wolves and knowing nothing of God - find themselves the subjects of a bizarre experiment.

Not an easy read but worth it I feel.
  • Options
    reading one called flight of the nighthawks atm... seems pretty decent so far.