Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drug Trial Men given £10k

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for the summary. :rolleyes:

If you're going to argue for "an entirely non-profit driven society" go for it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well I'm not scientist but unless the drug in question involved agents never before tried on humans (which I doubt), it does appear as a serious failure some point along the line that a substance so damaging and dangerous could be administered to a person.
    That's pure speculation. And deeply cynical too.
    50k for the less serious cases, 100k+ for anyone who's lost fingers/toes or is going to be ill/incapacitated for several months, raising to 1-2m to anyone who suffers permanent disability/brain damage.
    And no doubt had 50k been offered, you'd have suggested even higher figures. I disagree that a hefty fine would make any difference to a drug company's methods, except to make a lot of lawyers very rich. The best example of a drug company losing a lot of money was Vioxx, which cost Merck billions to develop, market and withdraw. People died and their profits suffered but the result will be better drugs with fewer side effects in the future. That's a way it goes.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Thanks for the summary. :rolleyes:

If you're going to argue for "an entirely non-profit driven society" go for it.

No, thats not what I was doing: hence my explanation that I understood that you would not accept that as a premise for debate, and my moderation to your premise that profit-driven society is desirable. After that my argument accepts this premise. You seem to have dismissed this further argument through some pre-concieved prejudice - in which case, good luck in engaging in any kind of intelligent debate in the future.
  • Options
    Eh? Don't flatter yourself. You've yet to make an intelligent point!

Don't change your principles on my account - let's hear about the non-profit driven society.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Don't change your principles on my account - let's hear about the non-profit driven society.

The time would be wasted on one as closed minded as yourself, and I'm sure anybody else who might have been interested in the political aspects of this debate (rather than the purely ideological) have lost all interest after your evasions. Stick to your bumper-sticker attitude to life in future, it suits you.

:wave:
  • Options
    :chin: How evasive of me to ask you to support your empty rhetoric with a cogent argument!
  • Options
    I'm finding many things rather strange about carlito's arguments.

On one hand these guinea pigs are poor, naive, innocent and exploited. On the other hand they're university undergrads, who are supposed to be the country's finest brains. Which is it?

Whilst I love the sentiment of a not-for-profit society, weren't these people doing this for profit? £2000 for sitting on your arse for a week is how they saw it, money for nothing, and one or two of the men on Panorama said as much. Your argument, therefore, is not about profit at all, otherwise the guinea pigs wouldn't get paid at all for their time. Your argument is about how someone else dares to make more money on top of that. And that's bollocks.

Point is, they took the carrot that was offered, and its a bit rich to turn around afterwards and say that its all the fault of the big bad nasty pharmaco. They went into the arrangement freely, and anyone with half a brain should know that injecting yourself with developmental drugs carries an inherent risk.

What may or may not be happening in the Third World is an entirely separate debate. Point is, these testers are university educated young men, and its a bit sad to see the country's finest minds turn around and say they didn't realise that being paid handsomely to test developmental drugs might have a risk attached.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That's pure speculation. And deeply cynical too.
    No, it's common sense. In every other industry, in every other area, when something like this happens it is considered a fuck up, known risks or not known risks. What happened to those people was outside expected or possible side effects.
    And no doubt had 50k been offered, you'd have suggested even higher figures. I disagree that a hefty fine would make any difference to a drug company's methods, except to make a lot of lawyers very rich. The best example of a drug company losing a lot of money was Vioxx, which cost Merck billions to develop, market and withdraw. People died and their profits suffered but the result will be better drugs with fewer side effects in the future. That's a way it goes.
    Drug companies are on the whole immensely rich and profitable. Please don't try to paint a scene of poor, suffering companies sacrificing decades of research at a cost of billions for pitiful returns. They make a mint out of it. Literally.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No, it's common sense. In every other industry, in every other area, when something like this happens it is considered a fuck up, known risks or not known risks. What happened to those people was outside expected or possible side effects.
    But "fuck up" implies blame, and failure on the part of the drug company. If the consequences of the trial were "outside expected or possible side effects", how is it a fuck up?
    Drug companies are on the whole immensely rich and profitable. Please don't try to paint a scene of poor, suffering companies sacrificing decades of research at a cost of billions for pitiful returns. They make a mint out of it. Literally.
    Of course. That wasn't my point. Without profit there is no incentive to produce drugs, so you'd be left with state-run drug companies with little incentive to spend cash on research.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    But "fuck up" implies blame, and failure on the part of the drug company. If the consequences of the trial were "outside expected or possible side effects", how is it a fuck up?
    Because the company (or somebody else) didn't do its homework properly?

Were the tests on animals conducted correctly? Were the quantities used for testing correct or excessive?

Unless they were experimenting with never-before-discovered agents, you can predict events to a degree. Someone should have spotted some point along the line that what they were about to inject to the subjects was as compatible with human bodies crude oil mixed with rat's vomit.

Of course. That wasn't my point. Without profit there is no incentive to produce drugs, so you'd be left with state-run drug companies with little incentive to spend cash on research.
    So we agree that drug companies are extremely rich and that they could afford 100s of times bigger compensation than 10k without much adversity then?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Were the tests on animals conducted correctly? Were the quantities used for testing correct or excessive?

Unless they were experimenting with never-before-discovered agents, you can predict events to a degree. Someone should have spotted some point along the line that what they were about to inject to the subjects was as compatible with human bodies crude oil mixed with rat's vomit.

So we agree that drug companies are extremely rich and that they could afford 100s of times bigger compensation than 10k without much adversity then?

the tests up to it were done appropiately, however this kind of treatment is still very new and has an underlying risk of seriously harming the person, that part wasn't mentioned thats why imo they didnt get enough compensation as losing fingers/toes (due to your body acitivating the mechanism when you are cold and trying to conserve body heat) etc
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    as compatible with human bodies crude oil mixed with rat's vomit
    Nice turn of phrase you've got there. Shame it's meaningless rhetoric.
    Of course - this time. But opening the floodgates to compensation of that maginitude would only have one effect: increasing the cost of drugs to you and me, and big corporate buyers like the good ol' NHS. It isn't going to stop boardroom greed or shareholder dividends, which is what your wrath is really aimed at (as always).
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

No, yes and yes.

But not all of them are.

Should compensation be decided by turnover or by negligence?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Should compensation be decided by turnover or by negligence?

bit of both really, too small amounts of compensation wont warn the company/person to not do it again if their raking it in, but it should still scale with the level of negligance also
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Nice turn of phrase you've got there. Shame it's meaningless rhetoric.
    Well given the atrocious effects it had on the chaps (how many cases of heads swelling to 3 times their normal size do you come across?) the metaphor is not exactly off target...
    Of course - this time. But opening the floodgates to compensation of that maginitude would only have one effect: increasing the cost of drugs to you and me, and big corporate buyers like the good ol' NHS. It isn't going to stop boardroom greed or shareholder dividends, which is what your wrath is really aimed at (as always).
    Well I can only imagine that a a multimillion Pound company deciding on 10k compensation for a handful of chaps who will have to spend up to a year in hospital/have lost their fingers or toes/will be affected for life (delete as appropriate) are being a bunch heartless ultra greedy cunts, yes.

If these cases happened very often I could see how paying a lot of compensation could have a negative repercussion on the company. But such cases are extraordinarily rare. That is why given the victims a decent compensation is not going to bankrupt or eat into the precious profits of anyone.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Well given the atrocious effects it had on the chaps (how many cases of heads swelling to 3 times their normal size do you come across?) the metaphor is not exactly off target...
    But you're apportioning blame. It doesn't matter if they grew two heads or eight arms - this was unprecedented and apparently unpredictable.
    Well I can only imagine that a a multimillion Pound company deciding on 10k compensation for a handful of chaps who will have to spend up to a year in hospital/have lost their fingers or toes/will be affected for life (delete as appropriate) are being a bunch heartless ultra greedy cunts, yes.

If these cases happened very often I could see how paying a lot of compensation could have a negative repercussion on the company. But such cases are extraordinarily rare. That is why given the victims a decent compensation is not going to bankrupt or eat into the precious profits of anyone.
    The 10k is an interim payment.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    But you're apportioning blame. It doesn't matter if they grew two heads or eight arms - this was unprecedented and apparently unpredictable.
    But was it really?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But was it really?
    Neither of us knows, so may as well not furr up our arteries arguing about. ;)

I'd like to think the experiments were properly carried out and that the drug companies took their duty of care for the participants seriously. But then I'm a closet idealist.
  • Options
    bit of both really, too small amounts of compensation wont warn the company/person to not do it again if their raking it in, but it should still scale with the level of negligance also

But not do what again? Test something which may cause an unprecedented and unjpredictable response?

Testing has risk. You sign up to test, you sign up to that risk.