Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Scottish Parliament- what on earth happened

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i started a new course on construction and found out that the Scottish parliament building cost on average £450million....10 times the original cost!!! I found this a complete disgrace considering that it is our tax payers, the ordinary hard working people of the country that has to pay for it. What exactly has happened to our country, we have more important needs than paying for an over rated, pointless expense on buildings for MPs

Comments

• Options
    Its kind of an old story really, its been around and over budget for years.

What's most depressing about it is the end result is a deeply ugly building.
  • Options
    It's not great but it's growing on me. Collossal waste of money though. But so are most big projects done by the government.
  • Options
    So are most big projects in this country, to be fair. It isn't a government speciality. The Hilton in Gateshead went five times over budget and opened nearly two years late too.

Things go over-budget because of unforseen circumstances, such as the design being unworkable. It happens in all construction areas.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Things go over-budget because of unforseen circumstances, such as the design being unworkable. It happens in all construction areas.

Which would be totally fine if the building wasnt horribly ugly.
  • Options
    The building is clarty. So I hope they realise this and make it pretty next time.

It's like that crappy thing they made in London for the millenium. I mean, weird architecture is fine, so long as it actually works, I guess.
  • Options
    I analysed that building at STANDARD GRADE and between the class we found over 50 faults with the design work - easily rectifiable, and obviously noticable - as 20 14 year olds managed to point them out....
  • Options
    It was never going to cost £40 million. Why Donald Dewar said it would cost that much is a mystery.

As for it being ugly, it's really not. Maybe it's the same as getting used to sodomy while in prison but the building grows on you. And the interior is stunning. The amount of natural light that pours into the building is incredible. You might not like the exterior of the building but you can't knock how it looks inside.

ETA: And the Parliament's construction meant that Queensbury House was restored.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    It was never going to cost £40 million. Why Donald Dewar said it would cost that much is a mystery.

As for it being ugly, it's really not. Maybe it's the same as getting used to sodomy while in prison but the building grows on you. And the interior is stunning. The amount of natural light that pours into the building is incredible. You might not like the exterior of the building but you can't knock how it looks inside.

ETA: And the Parliament's construction meant that Queensbury House was restored.

This is true! I ain't ever been in!
  • Options
    The original costed price was over 100 million.

So it was 4 times its original price tag, nonetheless it was a waste of money, and quite frankly a horrible looking building from the outside.

One thing about the shoddy workmanship as well, the swinging beam nearly killed some Tories. Who said cowboys were bad?
  • Options
    talia wrote:
    I analysed that building at STANDARD GRADE and between the class we found over 50 faults with the design work - easily rectifiable, and obviously noticable - as 20 14 year olds managed to point them out....

Yeah, but I bet you were told they were there.

I don't think its that ugly really. I've seen much much worse. I find the identikit hotels and apartment blocks to be far more offensive.
  • Options
    It's not ugly. I think people just jump on that bandwagon without actually going to see the place in the flesh, which is the only way to judge architecture IMO. And as Infinite has said, the interior is stunning.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    It's not ugly. I think people just jump on that bandwagon without actually going to see the place in the flesh, which is the only way to judge architecture IMO. And as Infinite has said, the interior is stunning.

I've been and seen it in person and I think its really ugly, granted I havent been inside, but none of the outside sections fit together properly they jar.