Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Well, it is 8Meg day...

Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Today, I get upped to 8Meg. WOOO!!!

But apparenty:
There is a BT service outage potentially affecting your ADSL connection.
Accoridng to my ISP. It seems to be working (I am posting, Right?) But wtf? Eep. What does this mean? Will I get my 8Meg? Should I contact BT and say "WTF are you sods doing again?!". Wouldn't be the first time the phone lines went dead round here.
Regrade to Speed: MAX scheduled for 2006-04-11
Those words make me happy though! :D WOWWOOOO!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i still aint got my upgrade yet, they said 4/4/06. im gonna give it another week and then give em a call.
  • Options
    I was due to be upgraded on 10th, yesterday, and i was! I was upgraded @ 3.50am.

But, it can take up to 3 days to have other bits of exchange upgraded fully, having your router/modem unplugged at time of upgrade can potentially remove this problem!

But i am synced at 8mb.. and my upload is faster :)
  • Options
    mine was supposed to be upgraded to 10MBs ages ago, but I tested it yesterday and it's running at about 2 :grump:
  • Options
    With what ISP?
  • Options
    I have an old modem so im down in the waiting list for an upgrade. To be fair though, I dont really care about bandwidth, I want more speed and reliability!
  • Options
    I have an old modem so im down in the waiting list for an upgrade. To be fair though, I dont really care about bandwidth, I want more speed and reliability!
    well im just well and dandy waiting for my line upgrade to a whopping 1meg
  • Options
    With what ISP?

blueyonder, they're usually pretty good...
  • Options
    mine goes up to 8 this week ...line test says i'll get 6.5

the last few days the reliability has been a bit up and down but they did warn me it might be.
  • Options
    Completed on 2006-04-11
    yay!

All good. There is still apparently BT problems though... tossers. :/
  • Options
    YHou with BT Gerbil?
  • Options
    Our phone line is, yes. But my ISP is Freedom2surf
  • Options
    i'm still waitng ...2.2
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Our phone line is, yes. But my ISP is Freedom2surf

Are you sure you get 8MB by the way? Like BT do up to 8MB and if your not bear ab exchange you won't get the full shebang.
  • Options
    Are you sure you get 8MB by the way? Like BT do up to 8MB and if your not bear ab exchange you won't get the full shebang.

No idea, butthe router says it is connected at 8 meg. Meh. I'll check it out one day I can be bothered.
  • Options
    :-)
  • Options
    i'm still waiting ...stuck at 2.2 ///hellooo ...
  • Options
    goddam BeeTee will not be upgrading me unless i move to one of their 4 options packages, im currently on a unlimited downloads thing its an old contract, so unless i start paying £26.99 a month im not gonna get 8mb.

i think i'll stick to my current 2mb deal.
  • Options
    at last!
    this morning woke to find my connection runs at 7.6!
    like shit off a shovel.
  • Options
    at last!
    this morning woke to find my connection runs at 7.6!
    like shit off a shovel.

Lucky you... still at 2.2 here...
  • Options
    i am ment to have a meg but BT capped it at 512 for some reason

8meg is NOW avalible in my area
  • Options
    There are plenty of ISP's offering upto 8mb and uncapped.

Let's clarify though, basically ADSL Max runs UPTO 8meg. BT still charge providers the same price for your line so the providers say fine we'll give everyone as fast as your line supports.

For some people like me I can only get 4-5mb. The training period talked about is a 10 day period where BT are monitoring your line to see where it can hold stable, they then set it, the steps are in half meg steps i.e. 3 meg 3.5 4 4.5 etc
  • Options
    I found a good deal the other day. Free 8mb internet for life (up to) if you sign up to talktalk phoneline. http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-LLU-PageServer;jsessionid=214C3BCC26FA1BFF3E9C6636CC7A7105.sol72-15?article=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.TESTHUB

Of course it won't actually be that fast, but we can pray :) I think it's a really good deal for the money, the main limitation is that during day hours they dont want you to use p2p software as that puts a big drain on their network and everyone suffers. Guess what? I don't use p2p :D
  • Options
    the steps are in half meg steps i.e. 3 meg 3.5 4 4.5 etc
    but mines 7.6 :chin:
  • Options
    pfft says who rolly! :P Is your router/modem actually sync'd at 7.6? I don't think so :P

The TalkTalk deal is good but you can only get the free broadband if your local exchange has been unbundled in the LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) that is going on, if not it will cost you a tenner a month, which is still a good deal but the whole deal also carries a nasty 18 month contract, no thank you!

I am currently with evolutiondsl.com 24.99 p/month uncapped, because I download, A LOT :)
  • Options
    If you go on BT Broadbands webpage it tells you how far you are from the exchange and what they think your top speed will be. Mine, they say, will be 1.5mbps. :(

eta:

http://www.bt.com/broadband/

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 512Kbps. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 1.5Mbps or greater.

----

doesn't sound great :(
  • Options
    That isn't very accurate tbh. My mates showed at 6.5 and he got 8 etc, they are a half estimate but certainly not correct :)

If you get your SNR and Line Attenuation from your router/modem I can roughly work it out for you
  • Options
    That isn't very accurate tbh. My mates showed at 6.5 and he got 8 etc, they are a half estimate but certainly not correct :)

If you get your SNR and Line Attenuation from your router/modem I can roughly work it out for you

I'm on fibre optic cables at the minute...

and I have no clue what SNR and line attenuation are or how they're derived :p
  • Options
    Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6.5Mbps up to 8Mbps.

;D

I'm lovin' it. (so, so, incredibly sorry.)
  • Options
    pfft says who rolly! :P Is your router/modem actually sync'd at 7.6? I don't think so :P

:)
    just done a speed teast ...a nunber of times for accuracy.
    my speed is 5.29 ...so the idea of it being in .5's seems a bit wrong.