Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Car question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody know what it means when a little puff of white smoke comes from the exaust when you start up your car? No time else, just when you start it up. And not alot, but its still there.
Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It means it would be advisable to take it to a garage to have it checked out.

Possibly.
    I like having an idea of whats wrong before I take it in so they dont try and screw me over as an ignorant car owner.
    Hence why I asked. :\
    It's possibly oil burning on ignition (just a little is harmless but it can get worse) or possibly a problem with your fuel tank that petrol is leaking through. Definately get it checked out though!
    we once went somewhere and this long strand of stuff start coming out of my dad's car - they looked like a long strand of feathers

but it's some kind of material used I think to keep noise levels down in the car?

No idea about your white puff of smoke, but on some sites it says the following

Answer: White smoke is caused by coolant or water coming out the tail pipe. There is a chance that the white smoke was caused by water splashing up from a puddle onto the exhaust pipe. Keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator in any event.

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/troubleshoot_smoke.htm
    Probably is nothing to worry about.

Most cars will smoke a small amount on starting, more so on a cold morning.

If its burning oil the smoke will have a blue tint to it.
    Sikorah wrote:
    Probably is nothing to worry about.

Most cars will smoke a small amount on starting, more so on a cold morning.

If its burning oil the smoke will have a blue tint to it.
    :yes:

But keep a check on all the fluid levels.