Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Government preparing to massacre the railway network

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    In an 83-page "consultation" document, the Department for Transport is hell-bent on devising a way of cutting huge swathes out of the railway network, replacing train services on many mostly Northern rural lines with a bus service instead.

The only thing that will decide the fate of a railway line is whether it makes money. Forget lines such as that to Whitby or rural Northumberland, which could never make a significant profit, if one at all. Forget the people reliant on the train service. Forget the gridlock that is endemic in most cities now.

Story.

And people trust these cretins to run a train service?

London will be fine, but as these rural areas don't have many people, there isn't many votes to lose. Yet again, a stab in the back for those in rural areas, who will be forced onto the roads and then charged an absolute fortune for not using "viable" public transport alternatives.

And people try and claim there's no need for a car in a city centre anymore. There will be if there's no bloody train service.

All I was trying to do was to put across the point that there are people out there trying to stop this happening across the country. I will not post again. As far as I am concerned , the thread is dead.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    RailLee wrote:
    AIf a "tiny station in the middle of nowhere a few miles from Swindon" shows a 7 fold increase in passenger numbers over 5 years , then why is its service being reduced from 5 round trips a day to 2 round trips a day?

What about the rest of the line though?

Other stations in the area are seeing an improvement in train services, its swings and roundabouts really.

If the line through Melksham was so important and so profitable it wouldn't be losing some of its service, would it?