Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

skipping a break on the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm about to end my 2nd pack on micogynon....which will be when i'm at my bfs for the weekend - i want to carry the next pack over and skip this period
but aparrantly its not a good idea because i haven't been on it very long?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Be aware that it may not work. You could skip the break and your period still start anyways.
    is it still safe in general when this is only my 2nd month?
    Safe in what context? Contraceptive wise, then yes. See the FPA website for more details. It doesn't sound as though you understand how your pill works. It might be worth you having a chat to a family planning nurse, otherwise you may be taking your pill incorrectly through lack of knowledge.
    i know how it works, but people have been confusing me saying it could be bad for me health wise because i've only just started taking it - i thought it was ok to skip the odd period though?
    Ballerina wrote:
    i know how it works, but people have been confusing me saying it could be bad for me health wise because i've only just started taking it - i thought it was ok to skip the odd period though?

you don't understand how it works if you're having to ask questions, that's the thing.

not that i'm saying i do!
    I occasionally skip a break of my pill. Seen as you've just started taking it, it's possible that your period will come on anyway. However, this usually settles in and I take it with no problem.

My doctor told me the odd time will do no harm at all.
    Captain wrote:
    I occasionally skip a break of my pill. Seen as you've just started taking it, it's possible that your period will come on anyway. However, this usually settles in and I take it with no problem.

My doctor told me the odd time will do no harm at all.

i don't think it's that she's concerned about - it's more that she hasn't been on the pill long.
    I've tri-cycled the pill ever since I started it... But that was the advise of my doctor... it's best to double check these things are OK with a Dr really.
    you don't understand how it works if you're having to ask questions, that's the thing.

not that i'm saying i do!
    does anyone ever really fully understand it though? people are always asking questions
    Ballerina wrote:
    does anyone ever really fully understand it though? people are always asking questions

i think gwst does. ;)
    i think gwst does. ;)
    well unless you're a wizz like her :p its a complicated thing!
    The reasons for not running two packets together at the start is that the break gives your body a bit of a chance to adapt to the hormones in the pill. If you've not been having problems then you may as well try running two together, although you may get a period.

If you think about it from another point of view then if you has missed a pill this week you would be taking the next packet without a break. I assume that someone explained this to you. If you miss a pill in the last week then you should take the next packet straight away without a break. With that in mind you'll be fine. Doctors usually don't recommend any more than tricycling (taking three packets running), but up to that is fine.
    The reasons for not running two packets together at the start is that the break gives your body a bit of a chance to adapt to the hormones in the pill. If you've not been having problems then you may as well try running two together, although you may get a period.

If you think about it from another point of view then if you has missed a pill this week you would be taking the next packet without a break. I assume that someone explained this to you. If you miss a pill in the last week then you should take the next packet straight away without a break. With that in mind you'll be fine. Doctors usually don't recommend any more than tricycling (taking three packets running), but up to that is fine.
    i missed a pill last weekend but took it the next morning with the other pill. Well the doctor didn't really explain much to me so i only asked a few questions that came to mind at the time.
    i have only generally spotted when i skipped like 2 periods, but i guess you dont knwo untill you've tried
    Ive run two packets after one another and had no spotting or anything.
    I did that, and i'm still alive.
    There is no medical reasons for you to have periods, using contraceptive methods or not. The contraception I'm now on, prevents 50% of users from having periods right from the very beginning (I have yet to find out if I'm in this 50%) so it'd probably only be discouraged if you've had a lot of problems. But my doctor has told me in the past that you can go for 6 months on the pill without a period before they strongly recommend you have a break, and he also reminds me every time that there's no medical reason for having them. If your confident theres been no problems then I'd say there shouldn't be a problem :)
    Ballerina wrote:
    i missed a pill last weekend but took it the next morning with the other pill. Well the doctor didn't really explain much to me so i only asked a few questions that came to mind at the time.

Just checking.

You do know that if you miss a pill you should use condoms for the next week as well as continuing to take the pill?

If your at all confused PM me, I've got quite good at it over the years.
    nicx1811 wrote:
    There is no medical reasons for you to have periods, using contraceptive methods or not. The contraception I'm now on, prevents 50% of users from having periods right from the very beginning (I have yet to find out if I'm in this 50%) so it'd probably only be discouraged if you've had a lot of problems. But my doctor has told me in the past that you can go for 6 months on the pill without a period before they strongly recommend you have a break, and he also reminds me every time that there's no medical reason for having them. If your confident theres been no problems then I'd say there shouldn't be a problem :)
    i was told if you didnt have periods you don't get this rise in a certain hormone that helps healthy bones
    i learnt this through dancing after being taught about anorexia - but thats of course after several years
    Ballerina wrote:
    i was told if you didnt have periods you don't get this rise in a certain hormone that helps healthy bones
    i learnt this through dancing after being taught about anorexia - but thats of course after several years

as long as you are on the combined pill and not the mini pill, it contains oestrogen which actually protects you against bone diseases like osteoporosis.

missing periods because of a low body weight is a million miles away from missing periods due to running pill packs together. for the length of time you take the pill, you will never have a 'proper' period, just withdrawal bleeds. from what i have read, the only reason they invented the pill with monthly breaks is because women felt uncomfortable if they didn't have a regular cycle.

you should always run it past your doctor or practice nurse first, but loads of women run packs together without any ill effects at all.
    kaffrin wrote:
    as long as you are on the combined pill and not the mini pill, it contains oestrogen which actually protects you against bone diseases like osteoporosis.

missing periods because of a low body weight is a million miles away from missing periods due to running pill packs together. for the length of time you take the pill, you will never have a 'proper' period, just withdrawal bleeds. from what i have read, the only reason they invented the pill with monthly breaks is because women felt uncomfortable if they didn't have a regular cycle.

you should always run it past your doctor or practice nurse first, but loads of women run packs together without any ill effects at all.

Agreed. I was on Microgynon, then Mercilon (til I just got lazy and had the implant to save me thinking for 3 years :) ) and I ran packs together plenty of times, I'm pretty sure I even ran my first pack into the other, or if not the second into the third.
    Well the advice on that website should be very reliable, but is different to what the inserts in the packets say and is different to what the doctor said last time I missed one, although this may just be more up to date information.

The fpa website also says its fine to run packets together.

Hope you have a good weekend!