Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I don't know what to do!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have no idea what to do! I am Lost!

I have a choice to make. Either take over this small business and run it and be totally responsible for it, for the money, for the book keeping, for everything, which i can do and manage because it is not hard OR turn it down, let someone else have the business and look for another fulltime job in a few months in an office working for someone else.

If i take this business on, it is all mine and i can make very very good money from it. Except, i will be totally and utterly and completely alone in it. I cannot afford to employ anyone so i will be working everyday all alone. i will be driving to customers, taking orders, collecting the products and delivering them all by myself. Then collecting the money for it another day of the week. Except i would have to be supplying the Leeds Market and restaurants and who ever else i can get to supply and have to be driving all day, everyday of the week all over the City. And i know it doesnt sound hard or difficult, but i dont even like having to do deliveries now! It will be the worst parts of the job i have now and i just do not want to do it. But i don't think i have much choice because of how much money is involved and the fact that i shall be guaranteed to have a job for life if i do it.

On the other hand, i could turn it down, let some one else have it, but then i would not be my own boss, i would not earn as much money and i would be stuck working 9-5 in a regular job like what everyone else does. On the plus side i would have nothing to do with the Leeds Market again. I would be away from it, i would working with people, i would probably be making £20k a year or around that, maybe a little more or maybe a little less. Not as much as working alone by myself, but enough for me to live comfortably.

I have never wanted or ever considered been my own boss, so i just do not think taking on my own business is that good an idea. But then again, would i be any happier working for someone else in some one elses business? Would i be any good at either? Woul i be bad at both? Would i be successfull at both and its just a matter of which i should want to do?

I just do not know what to do, because what ever i decide is the rest of my life for ever and ever. I will have no way out if i take on this business, i will be stuck with it, stuck owning it, stuck working it, stuck having to do it no matter what, regardless of freedoms i have with it, freedoms to take days off, holidays and so forth, i will probably hate it and not like it or enjoy it or want to do it and so i will probably do it badly and probably ruin it by not doing it right.

This decision will define my life and i have no idea what to do!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
    Is money really that important, that you'd be prepared to commit to a job that by your own admission you have no interest or enthusiasm for, and do not want to do? I can promise you that if that is the case, you'll be miserable no matter how much money you make. Work is not the be all and end all of life, but that said I think we spend so much time there that it is vital to be doing something you actually reasonably enjoy, or at least with colleagues you get on with.
    Just a quick point. If you're not passionate about the business you're running, then it is unlikely to be successful.
    If you don't want to run the business, and you don't care about it enough to put inthe 70 hour weeks that will sometimes be necessary, then you won't make a decent fist of the business anyway. You need to care to run something successfully.

Normally I'd say work for yourself, because you get so many tax benefits and loopholes, and if you know what you're doing you can make a packet. But if you don't want to do it then you won't do it, and the business will fail.
    \