Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Terry Pratchett Books

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Does anyone read these? I'm looking to buy a couple more but I'm a bit fussy, at the moment I only really like the ones with the Witches, the Wizards or Death/Susan. I've got:
Mort
Soul Music
Hogfather
Equal Rites
Wyrd Sisters
Carpe Jugulum
Witches Abroad
Lords and Ladies
A Hat Full of Sky
The Wee Free Men
The Amazing Maurice...
Maskerade
Reaper Man

plus a few others involving other characters. Are there any other books that feature these characters? Or recommendations for other Discworld books.
Thanks!

ETA these are all at home at the moment, I only have The Amazing Maurice at uni.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I started to read Truckers years ago but never got around to finishing it.
    The Soul Music animated movie thing is amazing though!

I will get around to reading them all at some point. Too many good books out there. Poeple need to stop writing them for a bit so I can catch up :p
    People? It's only one guy :p
    I've got Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters on DVD as well, Christopher Lee was a brilliant choice as the voice of Death.
    People? It's only one guy :p

Yanno. I just mean people in general :p

I've got a stupidly long list of books I have to read and no time to read em!
    I wish I did, (apart from stuff I should be reading, ie textbooks!) I've got a few books from home that I haven't read for ages but I haven't been able to get into anything properly for ages. Last thing I read was the Time Traveller's Wife, which I was impressed with until she started trying for a baby. Why does every book like that have to feature fertility problems at some point?
    I want to read something a bit ...odd, I think I might buy Angela Carter's Fairy Tales or something similar.
    James Herbert - Once... is good :yes: and Robin Jarvis - The Woven Path. They're quite wierd and fantasy-ey :thumb:
    ROBERT RANKIN.

That is all.
    That Robin Jarvis one looks good, plus he has written a lot of the same genre which is good, I like it when I get hooked on an author.

I'm thinking of buying this , it looks quite good and a similar type of thing to Everything is Illuminated. (Which I must read, once the effects of the film have worn off!)
    Harry Thompson for me, thanks. :p
    Penguins Stopped Play: Eleven Cricketers Take on the World?
    My reply was the height of unhelpfulness. So:

Jasper Fforde - The Big Over Easy

Robert Rankin: Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse, Apocalypso & The Greatest Show Off Earth.
    Ooh yes, I'd forgotten about Jasper Fforde, that looks to be worth a read. I wonder if York has a library, this is beginning to look expensive!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've only read Truckers and its 2 sequels (cba to find the titles) and also the first two Discworld stories. And played the first Discworld game and a bit of Noir, if that counts.
    Diggers, Wings.
    Wasn't impressed with 'The Colour of Magic' or anything else than involved Rincewind the Wizard. Not funny enough and a bit boring.
    Reaper Man and Soul Music are awesome but you've mentionned them. Interesting Times is good, as is The Fifth Elephant.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I used to read Discworld books. Guards! Guards! was my favourite and all the other books involving 'the night watch'.
    Weekender Offender 
    Yeah, you should really read the Watch books. They're mostly better than ones with the witches IMHO. (Quite a few of the later books have been watch-centric and they've been pretty good.)

Otherwise as suggested look at Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series (The Eyre Affair etc. and The Big Over Easy. )
    I wasn't so impressed with the Watch ones, I've got Nightwatch and couldn't get into it so I gave up quite early on. There's a new one coming out in September I think, called Wintersmith, which is the third in the Tiffany Aching series.
    There is a book about two angels who like living on earth trying to prevent the apocalypse that is really good, but i forget its name.
    subject13 wrote:
    There is a book about two angels who like living on earth trying to prevent the apocalypse that is really good, but i forget its name.

Good Omens?
    Skive wrote:
    I used to read Discworld books. Guards! Guards! was my favourite and all the other books involving 'the night watch'.
    Yep, I can go with that. Men at Arms is pretty good also.

The Truth and Going Postal, dealing respectively with a chap opening the first newspaper in the discworld and a condemned thief put in charge of bringing the Postal Service back to life, are also excellent.

Generally speaking for me, anything that happens in The Shades or involves brawls in The Broken Drum is a must. :D
    Yeah, was Good Omens i think!
    Witches Abroad has gotta been my fave :D

Soul Music also good. And Men at Arms, though less laugh-out-loud funny, and gets predictable.