Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

1.5 Hours more

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just out of interest if your company gave you a choice to either work 9am to 5pm monday to friday

or say work an extra 1.5 hours per day but have every friday off which would you go for

the normal 5 day working week or a 4 day week but with a bit more time put in each of those 4 days .. all other things being equal, e.g. time, etc

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    4 day week surely, it's no contest......as long as you had an extra break during the working day of course....
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    4 Day working week everytime.
    a four day week without a doubt.

i have had this choice before,

* 7.45-6 mon to thurs or
    * 9-6 mon - thurs and work 6-10 on a fri.

it means you get a 3 day weekend, think of the extended drunkenness :thumb:
    Definatly the 3 day weekend. Fuck I'd work 2 days straight if they'd let me and the the next 5 off.
    I'm really interested to know how the system of weekends and weekdays came about - who decided around the world that people should work monday to friday and have weekends off.

I don't see why the world can't just work 4 days a weeks and have 3 days off, and just work an extra hour or so anyway on those 4 days.

Think of the pollution we'd save, 1 day less a week of people driving in their cars to and from work
    And why is it called the weekend. I've never seen a calander that starts on monday.
    \
    \
    Sunday. Oh that is so weird and fun. I've never seen one that isn't Sunday!
    At least weekend makes more sense now :p

I bet you don't get deathly bored working in a hospital though, not alot of down time. maybe time goes fast. Working 13.5 hours in retail or something, now I'd not even give no way in hell a second thought :p
    my_name wrote:
    And why is it called the weekend. I've never seen a calander that starts on monday.

At my work the week starts on Friday...
    I'm mean look atthe months in April and May there's loads of bank holidays with weekes where people are working 4 days and even 3 days and having the rest of the week off, nothing grinds to a halt, the world keeps turning ...

With the extra day more people can go on short city breaks, have more time to visit friends and family.

Most city works I know work longer then 9am to 5pm anyway, and the extra is either overtime or sometimes not even paid, why not make it official time and have an extra day off instead.

My friend works 8am to 5pm at his work and on fridays he only works until midday - but seeing as some people have to drive long distances to get to work seems silly to me coming in for just half a day.
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    At my work the week starts on Friday...

I ment on calenders.

Does your 8-5 buddy get a one hour lunch? Alot of the places I've worked dont count your lunch so its 8 hours + that :(
    The boyfriend works a 7 hour day which includes an hour... sometimes 2 lunch grrrrr
    rather do a 4 day week instead i think.
    The Bank of Scotland do 12 hour shifts. 3 days on, 4 days off.
    Infinite wrote:
    The Bank of Scotland do 12 hour shifts. 3 days on, 4 days off.

Edit now
    Oh you butthead, i swear there was something about being brave enough in there :p
    my_name wrote:
    Edit now
    Oh you butthead, i swear there was something about being brave enough in there :p

There was. :p

But it read wrong and I can't think well enough to rephrase it properly :o
    I was just having this conversation with my boyfriend last night, and it's got to be work more for another day off you could get so much more stuff done with a 3 day weekend.
    That sucks! I work 8-6 monday to friday, and maybe 4 - 8 extra hours at the weekend, or in the evenings. :( Grr. Thats sometimes like 60 hours a week. :banghead: Plus I am doing an A level in my spare time. You guys are sooo lazy!

Cant wait until I am a lazy layabout student....
    Speak for yourself.

This week I have done: 72 hours work and placement. All on top of studying and writing an essay whilst trying to have a life!
    We should be working shorter hours not changing them around, Britain only manages to stay afloat in Europe because we work stupidly long hours.

We need to become a lot more productive, not work longer. The Norwegians work a 25-28hr working week on average and produce significantly more than us each.
    talia wrote:
    That sucks! I work 8-6 monday to friday, and maybe 4 - 8 extra hours at the weekend, or in the evenings. :( Grr. Thats sometimes like 60 hours a week. :banghead: Plus I am doing an A level in my spare time. You guys are sooo lazy!

Cant wait until I am a lazy layabout student....
    With all due respect, I might only work 13.5 hours a week, but I also run a Students' Union Society of 1100 people, and I'm a Union Officer and I'm doing a degree that's practically triple honours.

I'm sorry, it's probably because I have exams and I'm grouchy, but it didn't sound like you're joking and I resent being called lazy.