Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Child Seizure ADVICE HELP PLEASE

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all,

My brother has had what could have been two seizures in the past two years. My mum is worried and asked me to post for some advice on here. She has been referred to hospital to a neurologist. My brother is 6 in july. She says he would wake up in the night and just be totally out of it, his pupils were big and eyes in one corner not quite aware whats going on. He would come out of this after around 10 minutes. This happened the other day and about 2 years back now. Afterwards he would want to sleep and wake later with a bad migrane in the centre of his forehead.

I just wondered if anyone has advice as to possible causes.

I know when he was born he had a bad fit but it was dealt with and he came through with no problems after many tests.

Any help would be great

Steve

Comments

• Options
    <Sam><Sam> Deactivated Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Hey Steve

Sorry to hear your brothers been having seizures.

It's really difficult to give advice about possible causes without being medically qualified, but here are some sites that should give you some background info:

Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children has a really useful glossary of terms to help you and your Mum understand anything the neurologist might say.

Netdoctor also have a Children's Health section, you can also ask a doctor a question and look through the previously answered questions there.

If you or your Mum want to talk to someone now about your brother's health then remember NHS Direct are available online and on the phone on 0845 4647.

I hope they're helpful and everything works out OK.

:)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I cant give any advice as to causes but just to say that my sister had something that sounds very similar to your brother (altho she was 20years old) and we were all terrified that because she had a fit, this means she has epilepsy. she is going to the neurologist and apparantly its not epilepsy but they are not sure what it is.
    Dunno if that is any help to you at all but guess i just wanted to say it is not neccessarily epilepsy so no point in freaking out that it is like i did when i heard about my sister.