Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Chernobyl

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://todayspictures.slate.com/inmotion/essay%5Fchernobyl/?GT1=8019

you will need sound.
Pretty harrowing really to see how badly effected some of these kids are. It mentions Belarus a lot I was always under the impression it occured in the Ukraine :confused:

Comments

• Options

you will need sound.
    Pretty harrowing really to see how badly effected some of these kids are. It mentions Belarus a lot I was always under the impression it occured in the Ukraine :confused:

It did occur in Ukraine, but it has affected some neighbouring countries as well.
  • Options
    Pretty mental stuff. As much as nuclear power is "safe" you can't help thinking there are better ways. Or are there?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    MattMatt wrote:
    Pretty mental stuff. As much as nuclear power is "safe" you can't help thinking there are better ways. Or are there?
    Nope, there is no better way currently. In about 50 years... Fusion will be the answer though, I reackon.

The oldest Nuclear reactor in the world, a 1956 Unit, is still functioning at Sellafield. It's old, it is not too efficient, and has the plant has had many cocok-ups since the big meltdown. Plenty infact... enough to justify somesort of real enquiry or action.

But no. How long before it does go bad big style?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    It did occur in Ukraine, but it has affected some neighbouring countries as well.

Affected loads of places.

Some farms in Scotland still have sanctions imposed on their livestock due to radiation levels in them.

Some really harrowing stuff.

:crying:
  • Options

you will need sound.
    Chenobyl is in Ukraine but is on the Belarus boarder and if I remember correctly the wind made most of the fallout hit Belarus as it is just a few miles north of chernobyl

I personlly think there is nothing wrong with using nuclear power if its managed, controled and use safely but that is VERY hard to do,
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

It fucked up Belarus pretty badly.

The thing is, the Chernobyl disaster, as many of you who have read anything about it will know, did not come about due to routine working. They were, in their happy Russian way, doing some bizarre test and things went all Pete Tong from there.

The power station at Chernobyl is the one that 95% of the nuclear power stations in Europe are modelled on. Until we discover cold fusion, nuclear power will be the future. It is safe and clean and as long as the Russians aren't allowed anywhere near one, there will be no problems with it.
  • Options
    They were seeing if the station could run of low power but it couldn't handle it, a fire broke out in the reactor and the emergency precuations were not used/turned on in time, when the workers discovered what was wrong it was to late and melt down was iniment, the goverment also tried to hide it for a while saying nothing was wrong untill they finally admited something happened,

the fall out reached north scotland, wales, ireland and even few reports of it hitting iceland if I remember rightly but it was Human error not the stations/design of the stations fault that caused it.
  • Options
    there are still areas of wales that are off limits and some areas still have to have sheep checked for radiation ...hundreds eacg year have to be buried as to dangerous to be sent to market.
  • Options
    If a Russian screwed up, so could a Brit, a South African, an American...
  • Options
    yeah of course, and I believe there ukrainian not russian ;) anyone can screw up with anything,

if people are taught properlly, work properlly it can work.

I can see why people are concerned about nuclear power but there are hundreds of nuclear missiles and yet someone could make a mistake with them?
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote:
    yeah of course, and I believe there ukrainian not russian ;) anyone can screw up with anything,

if people are taught properlly, work properlly it can work.

I can see why people are concerned about nuclear power but there are hundreds of nuclear missiles and yet someone could make a mistake with them?
    Even if they are trained properly it is not guarenteed safe. Nuclear power is too much of a risk...

And so are missiles. Although as far as I know they are not being used to power cities.
  • Options
    theoreticly, they could. :p
  • Options
    The two photos that really did it for me were the one with the 2yo with his brain out side his skull and the boy who the narrator describes as a monster.
  • Options
    That's horrific

Reading the timeline, it seems less like human error than human stupidity and recklessness.
  • Options
    That makes me feel sick. Poor kids! :(