Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Really bad phobia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok this is probably a bit hard to understand if you dont have the same phobia but I am really really scared of wasps. I laugh about it when I think about it because I know it is totally irrational but it is starting to effect my life through the summer months. People will ask me to go for pub lunch etc and I will make an excuse not to go incase we have to sit outside which is really silly coz I want to be out in the sunshine. When I'm inside it still effects me because I will not open a window no matter how hot I am incase one comes in :/

I was concidering going to the doctors about it but I am not too sure if they would be able to do anything or refer me to anyone about it? I don't really want to have to take any kind of medication if I can help it really.

Does anyone have any good cures that they have used for a phobia at all? I have tried facing my fear but its not really doing the trick. I know they probably dont work but I was thinking about some kind of hypnosis or something? I mean it might work, even if is it just a mental thing? What do you think??

x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know but if you find out something that works please tell me. I have the same thing-last summer I didn't leave my flat for 6 days out of 7 because I wouldn't go out on my own.
    Ok, so wasps are vermin, they're horrible creatures, do nothing for anyone, and and do nothing but kill rape pillage and burn among the insect world. I hate them, but if you act scared, they'll react to it, so you've got to try and use some will power, which isn't helpful, but they'll leave you be if you don't do anything. Remember if you kill them, they release a hormone on death that attracts others, so drown them, because that'll get in the way
    The condition is called spheksophobia. I'm sure if you googled a bit on that you'd find some good sites for helping you get over it.
    I was told to go to this site for my arachnophobia.

http://emofree.co.uk/

I've had a quick look at it and the technique I was told to use was TAB (Tapping and Breathing). The guy that told me about it was petrified of spiders but now he loves them and keeps them as pets!

My arachnophobia sounds as bad as yours of wasps. I have to shake my clothes and shoes out before I put them on unless there's a spider hiding in them, I can't reach behind furniture or into the back of cupboards unless I can see there's no spiders and if a cobweb touches me I freak! Don't even ask about a real spider touching me :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

But, yea, I'll stop rambling (mostly because I'm freaking myself out). Have a look at the website and I hope it helps :)
    Im scared of wasps,hornets and big bumble bees now...... :blush: It started when I first saw a hornet and it flew right at my face,then I saw 5 more which flew right at my face again. :nervous:
    I used to be fine with wasps and could pick bees up but now I run away....... :blush::(
    You should talk to your doctor about it and see if you can get a referral or if there is anyone he can reccommend you see. There are psychological techniques you can use to get over phobias and I do think you should talk to someone about it as it does seem to be affecting your life. Good luck :thumb:
    i have a fear of wasps too, not as bad as yours. My fear os spiders is much worse, and im generally bad with any creepy crawlies. I love the summer but i can never relax and i hate sitting outside on grass. In my bedroom i have to pin nets to my windows because if not i cant open them in case things come in.

If you work out any way of getting over it let me know!

Cant offer any advice though, because ive not had any success getting over my fears.
    Thanks peeps that was really helpful. I will have a look at the websites and see what they are like, if not I may try going to see my doctor :D

Can always count on you lot :)

Off to the pub now, wasps dont come out much at night ;):p

x
    Hate wasps aswell. What do you do if you have a mega fear of dogs? Like even start panicing when they are on a lead?
    Pm me if your fed up of your phobia's.

Off to the pub now, wasps dont come out much at night ;):p

x

moths do. :nervous:

:grump:
    klintock wrote:
    Pm me if your fed up of your phobia's.

Got a magic wand have you? :hyper:
    i have a frog phobia, posted about it the other week. i have a docs appointment to see about it as its getting out of hand.
    Lolzabeth wrote:

I've had a quick look at it and the technique I was told to use was TAB (Tapping and Breathing). The guy that told me about it was petrified of spiders but now he loves them and keeps them as pets!

TAB is meant to be really good. My boyfriends-mum's-best mate (god thats complicated - we'll call her Paula, which is incidentally her name) is petrified of flying. And we've all booked a holiday to Lanzarote this year, which is a four hour flight.

At first, she couldn't even talk about it. But she's getting better. It seems to work.
    National Phobics Society is another useful resource on dealing with and finding out more about phobias. :)
    Ok this is probably a bit hard to understand if you dont have the same phobia but I am really really scared of wasps. I laugh about it when I think about it because I know it is totally irrational but it is starting to effect my life through the summer months. People will ask me to go for pub lunch etc and I will make an excuse not to go incase we have to sit outside which is really silly coz I want to be out in the sunshine. When I'm inside it still effects me because I will not open a window no matter how hot I am incase one comes in :/

I was concidering going to the doctors about it but I am not too sure if they would be able to do anything or refer me to anyone about it? I don't really want to have to take any kind of medication if I can help it really.

Does anyone have any good cures that they have used for a phobia at all? I have tried facing my fear but its not really doing the trick. I know they probably dont work but I was thinking about some kind of hypnosis or something? I mean it might work, even if is it just a mental thing? What do you think??

x

Don't know about Wasps but the one thing that as a child made me totally unafriad of bees was reading that when a bee stings someone it's sting is so large it virtually rip the bee apart to fire it - so it will only do so as the most utter last resort and most bee's will die after they sting someone - so I realised if you don't bother the bee it won't bother you.
    I hate the fuckers, not a phobia I guess but the are little devils. I think they're evidence of alien life!
    I hate wasps; they're evil and no matter what ppl say, they tend to sting me whether im bothering them or not! They just do it for no reason at all! I like bumble bees tho, they're cute and fuzzy. Although I do have a phobia of spiders, along with a huge percentage of the population I believe. I think arachnophobia is the most common phobia.
    I dont like wasps, I've been stung once and it fricken hurts. However I like bee's, there not aggressive unless threatered and generally leave you alone, plus they've got career...making honey! while wasps are like chavs, lookin for trouble :impissed: