Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What no ''Happy Birthday Ma'am'' thread?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tugger wrote:
    Why should we wish Mrs Saxe-Coburg (aka Windsor) happy birthday on her 80th? This family has been poncing off us for years, its time they went.

Isn’t it just good manners to wish someone happy birthday on their 80th? A constitutional monarchy is not perfect but it works well. There are definite benefits to having a non-partisan head of state and the Queen definitely represents Britain positively overseas. The Queen herself works incredibly hard and is said to be quite frugal, I find that rather refreshing when I consider the likes of Cherie Blair who crassly grabs any freebie she can find. Then there’s Prince Harry – he’s joined the army to serve his country and wants to serve in Iraq. And Prince Charles to be fair does an enormous amount of work for charity, he est the Princes Trust which has helped thousands of people...He does a lot more than plenty of self-indulgent politicians.
    Isn’t it just good manners to wish someone happy birthday on their 80th? A constitutional monarchy is not perfect but it works well. There are definite benefits to having a non-partisan head of state and the Queen definitely represents Britain positively overseas. The Queen herself works incredibly hard and is said to be quite frugal, I find that rather refreshing when I consider the likes of Cherie Blair who crassly grabs any freebie she can find. Then there’s Prince Harry – he’s joined the army to serve his country and wants to serve in Iraq. And Prince Charles to be fair does an enormous amount of work for charity, he est the Princes Trust which has helped thousands of people...He does a lot more than plenty of self-indulgent politicians.

I quite agree! I don't have many positive things to say about politicians if any, but I do have some about the Royals, the Queen in particular.

non-partisan? yer avin a giraffe mate
    Blagsta wrote:
    non-partisan? yer avin a giraffe mate

:rolleyes: Enlighten me Blagsta, how is the Queen partisan? Has it ever occurred to you to back up your responses with a point?
    How is she non-partisan? Do you ever stop to actually think? In what way is the Royal Family "non-partisan"? In what way are they not political? In what way do they not defend the status quo of land, power and private property and privilege?
    Blagsta wrote:
    How is she non-partisan? Do you ever stop to actually think? In what way is the Royal Family "non-partisan"? In what way are they not political? In what way do they not defend the status quo of land, power and private property and privilege?

So the Queen is partisan because she doesn’t advocate stealing land?

I don't think you even know what partisan means.
    . A fervent, sometimes militant supporter or proponent of a party, cause, faction, person, or idea.
    . A member of an organized body of fighters who attack or harass an enemy, especially within occupied territory; a guerrilla.

adj.
    . Of, relating to, or characteristic of a partisan or partisans.
    Devoted to or biased in support of a party, group, or cause: partisan politics.
    What the fuck are you on about now?
    Blagsta wrote:

heheheh :lol:

Hello :wave:
    hello, long time no see
    Blagsta wrote:

Why do you pretend you can’t understand something because you can’t agree with the way it was expressed? It really makes you look thick.

Answer the original question and I’ll think about wasting my time discussing this with you.
    The queen has a bionic heart
    What does that mean? :confused:
    That she's superhuman. Take away all that english rose skin and you got nothing but kryptonite!
    Rachael wrote:
    The queen has a bionic heart

the queen? has a heart?.......ye avin me on!

do any of em?
    Yeah well, its weighted down with led.
    Why do you pretend you can’t understand something because you can’t agree with the way it was expressed? It really makes you look thick.

Answer the original question and I’ll think about wasting my time discussing this with you.

What the fuck are you wittering on about now? Who mentioned advocating stealing land (apart from you)? Were you pissed last night or something?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Who mentioned advocating stealing land (apart from you)? Were you pissed last night or something?
    Blagsta wrote:
    In what way do they not defend the status quo of land, power and private property and privilege?

From the accepted definition of the word the Queen is non-partisan. She is not affiliated, nor does she openly identify with any political party or political cause. You appear to object to her on the grounds that she silently defends the ‘status quo of land...’ – for a start that doesn’t account to partisanship, and presumably you wouldn’t object to her if she was advocating seizing the property of rich landowners or pushing whatever other extreme policies you support yourself.
    What are you on about? From your defintion
    adj.
    . Of, relating to, or characteristic of a partisan or partisans.
    Devoted to or biased in support of a party, group, or cause: partisan politics.

Do you seriously think the Royal Family would take a "non-partisan" approach to anyone seriously threatening their privilige? Get a grip man.

Oh and who mentioned "seizing the property of rich landowners" (apart from you again)? Are you drunk?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Do you seriously think the Royal Family would take a "non-partisan" approach to anyone seriously threatening their privilige? Get a grip man.

Considering the bulk of the population support the monarchy and assuming no republican organisation has enjoyed mass support you’re asking a pointless hypothetical question.

But if at the next election Labour declared in their manifesto to abolish the monarchy and the Tories pledged to maintain it you’re clueless if you think the Queen would publicly declare her support for the Tories.

Blagsta wrote:
    Oh and who mentioned "seizing the property of rich landowners" (apart from you again)? Are you drunk?

Are you a twat? You don't advocate stealing land? Er enlighten me anyway, expand on your earlier comment about land and private property. :rolleyes:

Here's the dictionary for you again...I stand by my belief that the Queen is non-partisan.
    non-partisan adj.
    Based on, influenced by, affiliated with, or supporting the interests or policies of no single political party: a nonpartisan commission; nonpartisan opinions
    free from party affiliation
    Have you had a psychotic breakdown or something? You're gibbering like a fool. There is no way that the Royal Family is "non-partisan" by your definition. They stand for a particular power and class system and would not support anyone attempting to dismantle it. They represent the power of the state, that is not "non-partisan" by any reasonable defintion.

P.S.
    I love the way you changed your defintion when shown to be full of shit.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Have you had a psychotic breakdown or something? You're gibbering like a fool. There is no way that the Royal Family is "non-partisan" by your definition.

I disagree.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I love the way you changed your defintion when shown to be full of shit.

:lol: I posted the definition to partisan and then the definition to non-partisan. I originally described the Queen as non-partisan and stand by that. Since partisan and non-partisan aren't the same words I've not changed the definition...yawn :rolleyes:
    Yeah, you would disagree cos you just been shown to be an idiot. Well done.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yeah, you would disagree cos you just been shown to be an idiot. Well done.

Keep fooling yourself Blag.
    Yeah, whatever.

pwned

The Queen is "non-partisan"! Twat.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yeah, whatever.

pwned

The Queen is "non-partisan"! Twat.

Get a life. And a job while you're at it.
    Disillusioned and Bagsta, maybe it's time you agree to disagree and respect each others opinions even if you don't agree with each other.
    Get a life. And a job while you're at it.

That's right, I have no life and no job. Tell yourself that to make yourself feel better. But hey, I'm not the loon who thinks that the Royal Family has no political function and that Pinochet was an all round nice guy. Nutter.
    Blagsta wrote:
    But hey, I'm not the loon who thinks that the Royal Family has no political function and that Pinochet was an all round nice guy. Nutter.

:lol: The Queen is non-partisan in her role. That’s not an extreme belief Blag. Most people recognise the Queen is non-partisan and you’ve not posted anything to remotely undermine that fact. Anyway you’ve already displayed your ability to talk complete bollocks perfectly well, I really can’t be bothered to waste any more of my time. When did I call Pinochet an ‘all round nice guy'? Er never... :rolleyes:
    you forgot the all important class context LOLOLOLOOLOLODSAFOISADHJFOPSAIDF
    It looks to me that the Queen's not the one with the problems. :p