Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

anyone got any good HD videos?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone know a good source of free HD material, just got a HD tv and wanna try it out!
ta

Comments

• Options
    I assume you have a HD player too? if so it should have come with a test hddvd.

The problem is, even though the HD TVs are out here in the UK, there are no HD video players or films out yet :(
  • Options
    I assume you have a HD player too? if so it should have come with a test hddvd.

The problem is, even though the HD TVs are out here in the UK, there are no HD video players or films out yet :(

Indeed. Though only a few people seem to grasp this. A lot of people seem to think that attaching their old VCR or DVD player will give them a super HD picture somehow. More likely it'll just show the imperfections up more.
  • Options
    hmmm i thought there were some WMP HD material tho that i could try on it? maybe i heard wrong.

obviously the HD-DVD/Blue-ray argument needs to be settled soon.

dont want another laser disk type thing on my hands
  • Options
    I think you mean the HDTV RiP's of stuff from america. Yeah its in a higher resolution, but thats still no good for your TV because you have no way to sending that data to it.

I think it would be a good idea to Just double check that your TV is HD ready, and not HD compatable (they will use weird confusing language to trick you into buying stuff). Also, I seem to racall that high definition TVs can support many different resolutions, and you might need to buy an expensive top end kit to get the best.

I'm not trying to put you off your TV or anything, but with HDTV you need to make sure you buy the right TV with the right HD video player and the right TV signal. Make sure you know more than the saleman, who work on comission.

If you fancy a read
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television
  • Options
    dont sky do HD channels?
  • Options
    aye sky do, but we aint getting upgraded till end of may. looking forward to that.

im not a complete novice i know what a HDTV is etc...

ive found stuff like this: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/

couldnt i just output them to my tv through dvi or something? or would i lose quality?

eta: http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2056946379.1145948374@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceiaddhimgdhfjcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=24&sm=0&tm=undefined&sku=093193&category_oid=-27305

thats the tv we got
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    couldnt i just output them to my tv through dvi or something? or would i lose quality?

Should work. The resolution of the computer should be high enough, so it should be ok if you have a suitable graphics card.
  • Options
    hook up a 360 with hd cable if you or your mates has one.