Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Needed PHP Script for selling tickets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know of a good (and free) php script for setting up an online shop but where I want to sell tickets and not a phsical product.

I'm looking at doing an event in July where there's limited places (i.e. 70)

And I want people to be able to purchase their tickets online (ideally using NoChex) and then get sent via email a unique ticket which they can print off and maybe include the last 4 digits of their debit / credit card?

I've tried several versions of cubecart in the past but it never worked quite right with NoChex (i.e. if you had 70 places and just sold 4 it would still say 70 on the website)

Also tried oscommerce but that was a bit too heavy weighted and at the time not setup for ticketing unless you did heavy mods to it.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    These things are generally easy to program yourself, since php is a scripting language. Try finding some books on php and MySQL.

The problem with selling tickets is that of concurrency. Ideally, when a users attempts to purchase a ticket it should be reserved for them for some arbitrary period of time (lets say 10 minutes) to give them enough time to complete the transaction. Otherwise as the final ticket is sold, multiple users might attempt to buy the same ticket.
    Knobbbly wrote:
    These things are generally easy to program yourself, since php is a scripting language. Try finding some books on php and MySQL.

The problem with selling tickets is that of concurrency. Ideally, when a users attempts to purchase a ticket it should be reserved for them for some arbitrary period of time (lets say 10 minutes) to give them enough time to complete the transaction. Otherwise as the final ticket is sold, multiple users might attempt to buy the same ticket.

Strangely enough being told to program it myself wasn't quite the response I was looking for :eek2:

The holding the tickets for 10 minutes thing aint a big worry cos I expect I'd have 4 to 6 weeks to sell the tickets and they go at a steady pace and I always hold back a few anyway to prevent any overlap as mentioned.
    Have you search http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/ ? They might have what you need in there huge collection of scripts...
    Strangely enough being told to program it myself wasn't quite the response I was looking for :eek2:

Ah okay, sorry bud! PHP is HTML embedded scripting language (PHP inline with HTML, which I assume you're familar with).. It *could* be easier to program from scratch rather than hacking someone elses code. Besides it's the fun and education of learning these things from scratch :)
    cubecart so far is the closest I've come to what I want

http://www.cubecart.com/site/home/

But I could never get the reducing stock levels to work wih NoChex.

I'm sure if someone knows how to program PHP they could make a few quid providing such a system for NoChex.

Looked at hotscripts but finding anything that uses NoChex is rare.
    Looked at hotscripts but finding anything that uses NoChex is rare.

Not surprise I didn't even hear of NoChex before this thread...