Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do drugs improve your personality?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For example, I used to be pretty quiet in my early teenage years (13-15) but since I started smoking weed I found it a lot easier to communicate with people and add more in discussions with a load of people.

When I started doing coke at 17 I found myself becoming more and more confident (both on and off the drugs), I've spoke to my mates about this and a couple of them said they felt the same.. but I'm unsure if it's the drugs improving my personality, a psychological thing or I'm just getting older and not caring less.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its getting older and caring less probably, although doing drugs with friends can be an icebreaker and gives you some common ground and something to talk about, as well as a line of coke relaxing the ol` inhibitions.
    Aspire wrote:
    For example, I used to be pretty quiet in my early teenage years (13-15) but since I started smoking weed I found it a lot easier to communicate with people and add more in discussions with a load of people.

When I started doing coke at 17 I found myself becoming more and more confident (both on and off the drugs), I've spoke to my mates about this and a couple of them said they felt the same.. but I'm unsure if it's the drugs improving my personality, a psychological thing or I'm just getting older and not caring less.

This is something i bang on about regularly.

Psychedelics really helped me relax and become more accepting of people and gave me an objectivity i used to lack...it forced me to re-assess my prejudices.

Coke & E improved social success.

There are downsides too of course, but overall i'm a much nicer person than i was previously.
    yeah im not sure if it was a natural progression because i've been doing drugs all my adult life, bar the last year or so........but i'd say it definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things i wouldn't have seen sober, I had some great times and it helped me to enjoy life more, I definitely appreciate life a lot more now and I am a lot less judgemental of people's choices then i used to be, who can say what it would have been like without the drugs, i may have ended up like everyone else and what a scary thought that is :crazyeyes
    It's one of those things that varies from person to person. I've never used drugs signifigantly enough to alter my personality I don't think, but I've seen it completely transform the characters of several people close to me. Some positively, and some categorically negatively.

It would be impossible to say whether the drugs have changed your personality (I'm sure they've affected it, of course) or whether it's the fact that you're older and hopefully more mature. We all changed a hell of a lot between 13 and 17+ whether drug users or not, so while I imagine drugs would definitely shape the way your personality has blossomed I wouldn't reckon that was the defining thing. I don't know if drugs do really "improve" your personality, either (though maybe..?) I would've thought they just put you in the path of more like-minded and potentially laid-back, friendly people who you feel more open and confident with (of course, drugs would help ;) ).

Whatever the reason, it's great that you feel more confident and sociable. :thumb:
    i learned if you can do this stoned you can do anything lol.......

0074.jpg
    It's an interesting idea. I suppose in some ways they could improve your personality, for instance helping you lose your inhibitions.

But then at the same time, a lot of people might get reliant on the drug to give them confidence, so when they come off it they might return to their pre-drug taking lack of confidence. Or worse, some people may get even less confident when they come off the drug.

Drugs can open up avenues that you never previously thought were there. I know my perception of the world has changed a lot in the time I've been taking things. I love life, I respect life, and I don't want to waste any of it. Meeting new people and sharing experiences you never dreamed of having could definitely make you a more well-rounded, humble and respectful person.

I imagine it would be similar with psychadelics. I've done shrooms etc but I would love to do ket or acid. That could really widen your perception of the world around you.

Of course, drugs can help many people turn bad. Addiction can bring out the worst in some poeple, or maybe it just drives them to do things that they would never have imagined doing previously. The ugly side of drugs is very ugly. Something to bear in mind!

I also agree with other people have said, especially briggi's comment that you can't really be quite sure about the factors involved in your change! If you're more confident it's definitely a good thing :D
    Some quality replies here. The prejudice side I've never really thought of.. I was pretty judgemental in my earlier years but I find myself a lot more open minded to other peoples beliefs/way of life these days.. again that could have been because of drugs or it could have been from me growing up and maturing. Guess it's just one of those things.

Senor Miguel - I would have loved to have seen the picture they take at the top of the ride as soon as they let it fall :lol:
    Many people notice this "personality improvement"
    It's highly subjective on the person and the drug though.

After a few years of amphetamine/methamphetamine abuse, the drug ruined my personality. I hated everything on it, wouldn't talk, and became really irritable.

opioids tended to chill me the hell out, which was nice, but i was always tired when using them around people. I've always been a laidback person, so i never have to worry about.. well worrying.

I never got huge into the cocaine scene. It did change my personality, probabally not for better. My uncle got very addicted, so I did my best to stay away from it.

The one thing that really effected my "personality" was the use of psychedelics. They've really changed my outlook on a lot of things and change how i approach and deal with situations.

I wouldn't use drugs to improve your personality though, you have to be very careful with that; it's how addictions can form.
    i could be mistaken but i'm sure i haven't read one dumb reply in this thread.
    makes a nice change. ;)
    Not really. I was always an outgoing person anyway, using drugs just made me make more friends! Though if you overdo it you could end up being a social recluse. Need to find a good wee balance!
    Aspire wrote:

drugs have certainly opened my mind and helped me get on the same wave lengths of other people. Peopl I may have not given the time of day bfore. I am defo more easy going, i think because of these drugs. Lots of people I know ahve the same experience.

btw i have been taking them for 10 years now. They are part of my life but they arent all of my life. They have helped significantly though. But like I have just read, different people - different emotions.
    I have two main sets of friends:

(1) The relatively level-headed crew who enjoy a good drink at the weekend but don't tend to indulge in hedonistic activities.

&

(2) The totally mad sesh-heads who can lose the plot and party for a week solid.

I'm certainly more affiliated with group (2) and perhaps my personality has been affected by that. I sometimes reflect and wonder who I'd be had I decided to follow the steps of the level-headed crew. At the moment I'm pretty sure I'm happy with who I am :thumb: .
    Addict wrote:
    I have two main sets of friends:

(1) The relatively level-headed crew who enjoy a good drink at the weekend but don't tend to indulge in hedonistic activities.

&

(2) The totally mad sesh-heads who can lose the plot and party for a week solid.

I'm certainly more affiliated with group (2) and perhaps my personality has been affected by that. I sometimes reflect and wonder who I'd be had I decided to follow the steps of the level-headed crew. At the moment I'm pretty sure I'm happy with who I am :thumb: .
    you'll be fine for now,just don't go the full distance for too long, imo.....this life has a habit of clinging te ye!....there are two habits to break when the sun goes down.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It depends, most of the time Drugs make me happy and sociable. Other times not, such as twice I've just fucked out.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    In my opinion, its about choices. If you are feeling open to experiences and you make choices based on widening your experiences then you will find out new and different things about yourself and add the the sum of your life experience. I don't think drugs alone do that.
    i believe illegals can be beneficial for some people.
    the fact they are used for pleasure and they are illegal does not mean they have no medicenal/theraputic value.
    in a lot of societies like forever ...strong psycoactive drugs have been used in rites of passage into adulthood.
    the very names and associations of criminal activity in our modern world take away from this basic truth.
    LadyJade wrote:
    In my opinion, its about choices. If you are feeling open to experiences and you make choices based on widening your experiences then you will find out new and different things about yourself and add the the sum of your life experience. I don't think drugs alone do that.

Some people gain insights they otherwise woudn't...seems to depend on the person. I can talk to someone for hours about psychedelics and nothing else...not something you couldn't do with alcohol.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Some people gain insights they otherwise woudn't....
    because they make choices they otherwise wouldn't. That's all I was saying. I don't think drugs could make that insight happen if you weren't open to things. They act as a facilitator, just as a stressful or highly emotional event may help you re-evaluate things.
    LadyJade wrote:
    because they make choices they otherwise wouldn't. That's all I was saying. I don't think drugs could make that insight happen if you weren't open to things. They act as a facilitator, just as a stressful or highly emotional event may help you re-evaluate things.

I agree, sometimes drugs can also have the other effect. For some peple using drugs will make them more close-minded, more depress and less open to the world that they were to start with. If your mind is ready to be more open drugs might help in a way, but if your mind is fucked well then drugs will only make it worse.
    Aspire wrote:

:hyper: :shocking: hehe got ur attention
    I've been doing drugs since i was 12 so that's nearly 13 years. and I've found that yeah they make it easier 2 talk 2 people. They give u confidence in urself. They help u see what other people can already see in u.
    but it can b different 4 every1 some people withdraw within themselves. some people just plain trip out lol
    so yeah i agree with u it does give u confidence it helps u hold ur head high and I found that it helps u see the big picture not just focus on urself
    hey Angel 24, could you try to not use text talk please? Besides being hard to read, it stops the search function from being effective, amongst other things. There is more information in the Good Manners Guide...
    Angel24: Thats what I originally thought.. I've seen people plain trip out from drug use and they're not the same since (mental health issues with some too), but these people in question didn't know their limits and used to go over the top when on drug binges.

Taking pills with mates is another example, I feel it strengthens the bond between mates because you open up more when your on it.
    LadyJade wrote:

Insights can come about through altered perception and thought processes, it's more than just adding another experience on top of a variety of mundane others like playing football or whatever.

Religious experiences i suppose are a good example.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Religious experiences i suppose are a good example.
    I'm always having spiritual experiences on drugs :yes:
    Yep, ALL my trips have been religious in nature, except for a couple when i was distracted from my usual mode. You can't get absorbed in comtemplating "big questions" when sober as you can when tripping.
    It's just a shame I don't believe in a god really...it would give a bit more meaning to those experiences I think.
    It's just a shame I don't believe in a god really...it would give a bit more meaning to those experiences I think.

I have suggested mushrooms to religous people, but weren't best pleased. Probably they'd wake up next day as atheists.
    Spliffie wrote:
    I have suggested mushrooms to religous people, but weren't best pleased. Probably they'd wake up next day as atheists.

Yea, pushing drugs on religious types never seems to work. Best to spike their food. ;)
    Spliffie wrote:

Ancient Mexicans used to take hallucignogenic drugs so they could come closer to their Gods. Drugs in general could make a religious person even more religious.
    the very idea of 'improving' a personality implies that there is an objectively good personality that we can aspire to, i think 'explore' would be a better term.