Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How long?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
sorry if this has been asked before, but i was just wondering, what would you call a long term relationship?

someone who you know you want to be with for the long term, but still havent been seeing all that long, or someone you have been with for a while?

just wondering what other peoples opinions are. I think its someone who you know what to be with for the long run, regardless of how long you've been together ( so long as its not something stupid like two weeks or something )

Comments

• Options
    You actually go out with people that you don't think you want to be with longer term?

How odd.
  • Options
    Mia_16 wrote:
    I think its someone who you know what to be with for the long run, regardless of how long you've been together ( so long as its not something stupid like two weeks or something )

I agree with that, sometimes it can fell like it has been longer that is has been really because of the connection and the love... the fact that you understand your partner so well make you fell like you have been with them for a long time... when some less mening relatonship that could have in time be older doesn't fell like a long term relationship, but more like a long term encounter...
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    You actually go out with people that you don't think you want to be with longer term?

How odd.

i go out with people i like and want to get to know better. I think sometimes you can go out with someone and not know if you want it to be long term...but you enjoy being with that person.

ive been with my bf for almost two months, i feel like ive known him a lifetime. ive never felt this close to someone this quickly, i was thinking today, is it a long term relationship as ive not been with him for that long, but then it occured to me that maybe it is as i do want to be with him for as long as possible and maybe that made it a long term relationship
  • Options
    Personally I would concider a long term relationship to be over a year
  • Options
    Personally I would concider a long term relationship to be over a year
    Yeah I'd agree with that too.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:

How odd.

why is it? you can't go into every relationship thinking 'this is gonna last forever' as at a young age, it's often not forever.

i'd say over around 9 months.
  • Options
    Well both my relationships have been what I would class as long term; 18months and the current one reached a year on Saturday.

Based on what my friends get up to, I would say anything over 6 months is long term. That might just be in my circle of friends, but none of them seem to have relationships lasting longer than 3 months for various reasons.
  • Options
    I would class a long term relationship to be 12 months plus. When I was abouyt 14-15, I considered long term to be about 4 months or so.
  • Options
    I think i'd count over 9 months/a year plus as a long term thing.
  • Options
    why is it? you can't go into every relationship thinking 'this is gonna last forever' as at a young age, it's often not forever.

i'd say over around 9 months.
    No, but why bother going into a relationship thinking "this isn't going to last and I know it"
  • Options
    sometimes u dont know if its going to last or not, but u still like that person
  • Options
    it depends really tbh.
  • Options
    If you are under 18, I would consider long term to be anything over about 8 months. Over 18 then definitely a year or more. Even then a year isn't much in the scheme of things.
  • Options
    i've been with my guy about 4 months, but i agree, long term is something that you want to last - not just a half hearted thing
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, but why bother going into a relationship thinking "this isn't going to last and I know it"

you don't. but if you go on your basis you'd only ever have 1 relationship.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Why not?
    As long as your both clear on that point...

I did it with a girl once... we really liked each other, but she was going away in a few months and we knew a long disance relationship wasnt going to work...

So we went out knowing that it was going to end in a few months time... it was shit when it did.. but it was worth it! We got on really well and had alot of fun with the time we had!
  • Options
    yeh when i get with someone of course i like to think we'll have a great few years or whatever - how ever long it lasts basically but i'm only 20 and am certainly not thinking about a lifelong partner just yet. however if i'm in a relationship and i stay with that person forever then so be it.
  • Options
    you don't. but if you go on your basis you'd only ever have 1 relationship.
    And what's wrong with only one relationship? Not that you're actually right, it just says that you won't go out with someone you know you can't be with forever. Like Mia said, sometimes you just don't know, but when you do know that it's not going to last, what's the point?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    And what's wrong with only one relationship? Not that you're actually right, it just says that you won't go out with someone you know you can't be with forever. Like Mia said, sometimes you just don't know, but when you do know that it's not going to last, what's the point?

i haven't gone into a relationship thinking 'this won't last' - but even if a relationship gives you a lovely year or 2 it's still worth it.

what's wrong with only 1 relationship? perhaps nothing in your opinion but i need to kiss a few frogs before i find my prince! :p
  • Options
    Mia i'm the same as you. We've just reached two months but it seems like it's been ages since we've been together. I think trying to class long-term is really hard but somewhere around the 6-9 month mark. For me two months is long term. I'm scared, i think it means i'm growing up ;)
  • Options
    i haven't gone into a relationship thinking 'this won't last' - but even if a relationship gives you a lovely year or 2 it's still worth it.

Well, yes absolutly, but my point is that entering a doomed relationship is more than just a little bit poitnless.

what's wrong with only 1 relationship? perhaps nothing in your opinion but i need to kiss a few frogs before i find my prince! :p

What would you have done if you had met THE guy first?
  • Options
    i would say anything over a year.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Well, yes absolutly, but my point is that entering a doomed relationship is more than just a little bit poitnless.

What would you have done if you had met THE guy first?

stay with them!

but the thought would be a little daunting. i'm only young i don't want to be with the same person for the next 60 odd years. my grandma and grandad might've been but i don't want to! anyway i've only had 1 boyfriend and i'd like to have some new experiences in different relationships.
  • Options
    but the thought would be a little daunting. i'm only young i don't want to be with the same person for the next 60 odd years.

I don't see why not, if it's someone you really gel with.....

I've been with my blokey since I was 18 (I'm 23 now) and I must say, I don't really find the idea of staying with him for the next however long particularly daunting, as long as we stay as stong together as we are right now.
    anyway i've only had 1 boyfriend and i'd like to have some new experiences in different relationships.

But only if they're 'better', yeah? There's little point in seeing how green the grass on the other side is if you've got a great relationship right where you are.

Just my tuppenny's worth...
  • Options
    I'm 16.. I've been in a relationship for 2 years 8 months (tomorrow :D). I think that's long term. But you look at marriages lasting 50+ years, and 2+ years is nothing, it's amazing.

I wouldn't worry about the title of a long term relationship as it seems a relationship's duration is only as good as how well it's maintained. A better maintained but shorter relationship may seem more "long term" than a poorly maintained but longer relationship.
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    I don't see why not, if it's someone you really gel with.....

I've been with my blokey since I was 18 (I'm 23 now) and I must say, I don't really find the idea of staying with him for the next however long particularly daunting, as long as we stay as stong together as we are right now.

But only if they're 'better', yeah? There's little point in seeing how green the grass on the other side is if you've got a great relationship right where you are.

Just my tuppenny's worth...

it was my opinion. personally at this age i wouldn't want to stay with someone for the rest of my life. but if i met someone and that's how it turned out then so be it.

i didn't split up with my ex boyfriend to see if the grass was greener, he split up with me!

i'm not saying i'd finish with someone just because i was scared of commitment, as i'm not. BUT right now the thought of being with the same person until i die would be a bit daunting and i think i'd get bored.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I really understand what's meant by "long term" in this context, to be totally honest. Does it mean when does a relationship become a serious relationship... or are we talking purely about a measure of time?

In the grand scheme of things I'd probably consider a five year relationship to be fairly long-term, but it still ain't a huge portion of your life if you split up after that period of time together... But if we're talking about when a relationship becomes a serious, proper, forward-thinking relationship then it can really be anytime. Wouldn't make it a "long term" relationship as it stood though, if you decided it was serious after three months. You can only really call it long term (by my reckoning) once you've spent that long period of time together. Ok, now I'm waffling 'cuz I can't articulate what I mean..

My longest relationship was three years, and while it seemed like a lifetime (life sentence? ;) ) at the time, now I'm out of it and looking forward at hopefully a good, long life it doesn't seem long-term at all.

Ask me when I'm 80 and I'll tell you how long my "long term" love lasted. :razz:
  • Options
    it was my opinion. personally at this age i wouldn't want to stay with someone for the rest of my life. but if i met someone and that's how it turned out then so be it.

i didn't split up with my ex boyfriend to see if the grass was greener, he split up with me!

Sorry, I wasn't actually meaning you when I wrote that, I meant in general: if all's good why rock the boat. Sorry that it came out so insensitively...I didn't know about your personal situation and that the boyfriend you were talking about is an ex.