Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Whilst it's fun being the boyfriend cliche

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm keen to buy my girlfriend some new underwear, but a bit nervous about getting it wrong and being banned from ever attempting such a thing again. I've resisted the urge to by anything see through or PVC, as I want her to actually wear and enjoy it.

I like some things I've found on the Ann Summers website and would value a stylish female perspective.

What do you make of the following? Any favourites? Horror stories about quality? Ir, if I'm way off track, any recommendations?

Behind door number 1

Behind door number 2

Behind door number 3

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My personal opinion; the first ones are hideous, the second ones look like they've got wings but i do like the third ones.
    i love number 2. but thats my personal choice, i have no idea what your girlfriend would like! i think theyre all fine, nothing too outrageous..
    I think she'd love this.

:p:lol:
    Kat_B wrote:
    i love number 2. but thats my personal choice, i have no idea what your girlfriend would like! i think theyre all fine, nothing too outrageous..

My favourite too actually, my only concern is whether the ruffled parts will actually show through clothes and hence she wouldn't wear it?
    To be honest, I'd be horrified if my boyfriend bought me lingerie from Ann Summers.
    I'd much prefer La Senza, or even Debenhams - Ann Summer's isn't the best quality wise, so if you actually want your gf to wear the lingerie and enjoy wearing it, I suggest you go for something a little less tacky....

Ilora x
    Actually Ilora has a point, do you mean wear it as in everyday use or just with you?

Cos like i'd get it from La Senza if it was everyday, Ann Summers is more for every once in a while.

And the second ones are hideous and twee. I'd be violently sick if someone bought me those.
    LacyMay wrote:
    Actually Ilora has a point, do you mean wear it as in everyday use or just with you?

Cos like i'd get it from La Senza if it was everyday, Ann Summers is more for every once in a while.

And the second ones are hideous and twee. I'd be violently sick if someone bought me those.

:(

Best have a long hard think then.
    ginner wrote:
    :(

Best have a long hard think then.

Well does your gf like girly frilly things? Surely you've seen her underwear by now, you must have some idea of what she likes?
    I actually like all of those.... its a matter of personal preference, guess form her usual underwear whether she likes cute/pretty/etc underwear and go for something like that. Lasenza do some ones that are pretty and girly, but also more for everyday use :)
    Thinking about it, and if I understand what the word means, she might actually be a bit twee herself; it could be the perfect combination.

Yes, she's the epitome of cuteness; it's all cotton or there abouts, little to no lace or silk (she's sensitive skin). The majority is from Top Shop, the minority matches.
    ginner wrote:
    Thinking about it, and if I understand what the word means, she might actually be a bit twee herself; it could be the perfect combination.

Yes, she's the epitome of cuteness; it's all cotton or there abouts, little to no lace or silk (she's sensitive skin). The majority is from Top Shop, the minority matches.

She sounds er exciting.

Best bet is La Senza then. I don't see giving her cotton underwear as that much fun though. I mean if she doesn't like lace an stuff try Marks & Spencers or summat! But i'd try La Senza and go for something girly but a bit different.

La Senza
    LacyMay wrote:
    She sounds er exciting.[/URL]

Different strokes for different folks. There's much I couldn't be happier with, the miniscule that's left I'm working on. :p
    ginner wrote:
    Different strokes for different folks. There's much I couldn't be happier with, the miniscule that's left I'm working on. :p

Yeah but usually if you buy underwear for a girlfriend it's fancy stuff.

No one really gives cotton stuff to girlfriends. It'd be like her buying you a pair of socks.

Get her something that matches and is a bit different.
    LacyMay wrote:
    Yeah but usually if you buy underwear for a girlfriend it's fancy stuff.

No one really gives cotton stuff to girlfriends. It'd be like her buying you a pair of socks.

Get her something that matches and is a bit different.

That's what I was doing wasn't it?
    ginner wrote:
    That's what I was doing wasn't it?

Yeah but then you said she has sensitive skin. You don't wanna bring her out in a rash or something!
    LacyMay wrote:
    Yeah but then you said she has sensitive skin. You don't wanna bring her out in a rash or something!

Aww, how compassionate are you :)
    I work for Ann summers and i have the Blush set which is number two and its perfect, its nt see though at all, its got a slighted padded bra underneath the mest and its sexy but also wearable in the day time too.
    Alls i can say is get your damn sizes right....its odd enough being the guy who goes into ann summers alone, but then being the guy who doesnt know his lady's size and has to go through the "more like grapefruits, but big grapefruits, what size are yours" performance would be extremely embarassing im sure.
    Alls i can say is get your damn sizes right....its odd enough being the guy who goes into ann summers alone, but then being the guy who doesnt know his lady's size and has to go through the "more like grapefruits, but big grapefruits, what size are yours" performance would be extremely embarassing im sure.

:lol:

so true though, make sure you get it right! oh and keep the receipt in case it needs to be changed because a) it is the wrong size or b) she hates it.

good luck and be brave! Hehe.
    has she ever bought underwear from ann summers before? sizes tend to vary a bit from shop to shop and you don't want to risk buying her the wrong size.

you could always take her shopping with you and she could try them on for you. :p
    I think they're all quite nice. Have seen the second one in the shop and it's nice, but I did wonder whether the ruffles would show through clothes.
    I don't think anne summers underwear is worse quality than any others, in face it's made my knickerbox which sells pretty high quality underwear.
    To be honest, every woman is going to like something different.

You'll have to go by what you know about her, or what you know she likes.

What people on here love, she could absolutely hate

However, i like these

The first and third of the pictures you posted i think are nice, cant stand the second ones though, but your girlfriend may love them!
    bacon wrote:
    also if you want to be the perfect boyfriend buy two pairs of knickers to each bra, as bras can be worn more than one day, and then they can be matching more often.

:yes: :yes:

Or get thong knickers and french knickers to match, a lot of bra sets have the option now.
    gotta be Agent Provacateur silk, nothing else cuts it
    Blah wrote:
    To be honest, every woman is going to like something different.

You'll have to go by what you know about her, or what you know she likes.

The first and third of the pictures you posted i think are nice, cant stand the second ones though, but your girlfriend may love them!

it's so true. no point asking a load of strangers what she might like. we can tell you what shops are good for quality or service, and we can tell you the kind of things we like, but you know her best.

for the record i think the first and second ones are pretty rank, but i like the third set.
    bacon wrote:
    www.figleaves.com is the best place online imo

Definatley, and they do free returns so if it doesn't fit it's no problem to exchange.
    Blagsta wrote:
    gotta be Agent Provocateur silk, nothing else cuts it
    :thumb: Now that's more like it :D

Ilora x
    Incase you get upset if you don't get closure:

I bought number 2, the pink frilly ones; which, it turns out, were a bit see through.

Upon unwrapping she was a little shocked, but excited, and thusly so was I. Couldn't have worked out any better.

Thanks for your thoughts.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    cheers for the follow up ginner, so glad your lady was pleased! Well done for trusting your judgement.
    :yes: It's always cool when people tell you the way it worked out in the end.

I often find myself thinking about what happena and sometimes get tempted to pm people to ask (I mean in general- not here in particular), but then worry they'll think I'm a cyber-stalker!