Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What happens when you leave Uni ???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Help!! :hyper:

What happens with life when you leave university? Im going to graduate this summer and didnt really know what to do after.

Has anyone else had this problem, I was also thinking about going traveling for a bit, to help me make my mind up.

Thanks

;)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you had the chance to talk to someone about this yet or not? Like a careers adviser or someone like that?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi ya,

This is a really good question and it's great that you are starting to think about it - the reality is that leaving uni can be a scarey time and quite a shock to the system. However, if you do your research and take on board all the opportunities out there then it can also be an exciting time and the start of a bright future.

I've pulled together some useful links for you to mull over, but I wouldn't advise you to look at them all in one sitting - take your time and of course you can come back to them whenever you like :)

Coping with graduation is a diary entry which gives an interesting personal perspective.

Graduate recruitment focuses on the different avenues available for those looking to bag that first job.

Sometimes jobs aren't always advertised in the most obvious places, or at all - Job openings gives an insight into the different ways of finding out about jobs

Finding your perfect job might help you to think about what you'd like to do - as Kathryn said it's good to have something to aim for and you never no what might turn up along the way :)

Finally - you'll probably want to consider boosting your Student CV as the competition can be overwhelming and it's important to try and emphasise your most impressive traits/experiences.

I hope this helps - take care ;)
    I plan to go into teacher training and hopefully I'll land a job pretty quick after that.
    Some of us have it easy - just fill in a form on the internet (well, maybe not when I get there but at the moment it's like this!) and then wait and hope you get the jobs you want - but almost everyone will get a job somewhere! Ching ching!
    Why don't you go on Monster.com? You leave a CV and employers will look at it and contact you if they want to offer you a job. It's worth a try.
    dr_carter wrote:
    Some of us have it easy - just fill in a form on the internet (well, maybe not when I get there but at the moment it's like this!) and then wait and hope you get the jobs you want - but almost everyone will get a job somewhere! Ching ching!
    Bless your naivity. You wait, my boy, you wait.
    kathryn wrote:
    ...im just about to start my first proper job (at a museum)

Thats seems so cool, working in a museum seems pretty interesting. What exactly would you be up to?
    I originally planned to take a year off just working then go into teacher training. But then a graduate job came up that sounded perfect and I managed to get it. A lot of people I know from uni are still not sure what they want to do and are working in shops just to get by. I would give yourself some time to think after all the work has finished your mind will be clearer then.
    Kentish wrote:
    Bless your naivity. You wait, my boy, you wait.

Well anyone as amazing as me can't fail to acquire three reasonably jobs... alright, I probably haven't got a hope in hell of Orthopaedics with Mr. Bircher (best Orthopod in the country and a living legend here...) but i'm just too amazing to ignore...
    How many people do know what they want to do when they leave uni? Most people don't.

My office is full of grads arsing about on a crap wage wondering what they want to do in life. I wouldn't worry, but do get applying for jobs, and unless you're going on a grad scheme don't expect your degree to count for much.
    dr_carter wrote:
    Mr. Bircher
    Never heard of him. What's his first name?
    Can't remember - I tend to try and avoid him around the hospital, he's far too scary!

His son is my great-great-grandfather though, and an all-round top bloke!
    dr_carter wrote:
    His son is my great-great-grandfather though
    :chin: