Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sky & Phone Contracts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
as some of you know me and my partner have split up and live together so we have to sell up, thing is what happens with our bills, like our sky and phone/broadband bills? obviously these are on a years contract so do we have to pay for the subscriptions up until the year is up?

Comments

• Options
    whose name are the contracts in?
    Yes, you have to pay.
    But you can double check...

Sky = 08702404040
  • Options
    If yiou are locked into a 12-month contract then yes, you have to pay.

Most companies will allow you to move free of charge, so you could take your Sky dish with you.
  • Options
    Yea this happened to me and they wouldnt cut it off and i couldnt get it where my parents were lived and my bf wouldnt have it in his name so i was stuck paying it
  • Options
    what difference does it make whose name its in?

will we have to pay the full subscription for the remaining months?
  • Options
    Sugar wrote:
    what difference does it make whose name its in?

If its only in one name then only one of you are liable for the money.

If its in both your names then either or both of you are liable for paying the money, and the company can take either or both of you to court if either of you default.
    will we have to pay the full subscription for the remaining months?

It depends on the provider, to be honest.

As part of Sky's free installation contract you ARE tied to the package for 12 months, but on other providers such as Telewest you are only liable to pay the cheapest package.

You will need to talk to the providers you are contracted to.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If its only in one name then only one of you are liable for the money.

If its in both your names then either or both of you are liable for paying the money, and the company can take either or both of you to court if either of you default.

It depends on the provider, to be honest.

As part of Sky's free installation contract you ARE tied to the package for 12 months, but on other providers such as Telewest you are only liable to pay the cheapest package.

You will need to talk to the providers you are contracted to.

lol, ok so thats not what i mean when i asked what difference it would make, i just meant that it doesnt make a difference to us because none of us are going to default and even though its only in one of our names we will both make sure it is paid.

we are with sky but didnt use their free installation as it was already installed, we just phoned and gave them our details and they connected us. wonder if that will make a difference?
  • Options
    If you've signed a twelve-month contract you have to honour it.

If you didn't you don't.