Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Problems with keys and letting agent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I rent an apartment with my boyfriend and we have been having with the communal door (2apartments share this). We only have one key that works and we have had 3 cut at 3 different locksmiths all of which haven't worked. All the locksmiths have noticed that there is something wrong with the key. The other tenant has the same problems with his key. We work different shifts for work and very often one of us has been locked in or out of the apartment.

I went in 4 weeks ago to sort out this problem. The person they sent out told us to go to another locksmiths - I feel this is unreasonable and have been in to the letting agents again. Is there anything we could do about this, maybe a governing body to report to or have the locks changed and then bill the letting agents.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What type of lock is it?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you are joint tenants then it is a responsibilty of the landlord or his agent to provide one key for each tenant. I'd stop getting fobbed off and start getting them to honour this requirement.

You won't be able to get the locks changed without the express consent of the landlord or his agent.