Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How Americans feel about the attacks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It is so heartwarming to see you all concerned with the tragedies that Americans have endured over the past weeks. I pray that through all of this we can all come together and live harmoniously. It isn't the same here anymore. We are scared and we are sad. Almost every car, every building and every house has an American Flag displayed. We consume our conversations with topics of terrorism and in the same sentence, justice. What will come of this?

~sadAmerican~

Comments

• Options
    Although we all share in your sadness and extend our heartfelt sympathies to you there will be some good to comeout of this. As with anything bad that happens america will learn from her mistakes and things will be put in place to ensure that this will not happen again, as to what these things are we will have to wait and see. In some ways it may also benifit other nations, those for example who have suffered this type of experience for many years, indeed even those who have suffered at the hands of the americans. Perhaps now america will fully understand the feelings of those affected by terrorism. Subsequently i thhink we shall see a major set of changes or changes of view on such matters as foreign policy etc.

God Bless America
  • Options
    Sasheo,

You should be ashamed of yourself.

"Politicians are the lowest form of life on the earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician" George Patton
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog:
    Sasheo,

You should be ashamed of yourself.

It's just an opinion he/she's expressed and it has reason.

America has exploited many third world countries and supported the arms trade which has killed millions worldwide. However, I'm not saying the attack was a good thing, although with every bad thing that happens there is something good. We don't know what this good is yet, but maybe peace will result out of this...

• Options
    It's just an opinion he/she's expressed and it has reason.

Yup and my opinion is that he she be ashamed. Gloating over such an act is dispicable. Notice that he didnt actually condemn the attack but just offered 'sympathies'....Urgh makes me shudder..reminds me of the Guardian, "The deaths of those thousands of innocents was not nice BUT....

Maybe peace will come of this???Are you serious??..It is FUNDAMENTAL that the US does not allow terrorist violence to dictate foreign policy.

"Politicians are the lowest form of life on the earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician" George Patton
  • Options
    Sadamerican, please ignore those misguided people that use your post to have a dig at the US, they ARE in a minority.

I am sad for you and your fellow Americans.
  • Options
    peacechild,
    No need to apologize. I realize that there are so many different views to all the events that have taken place. "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one." Without different opinions we would all agree on everything and that would not give reason to be posting anything. (did that make any since?)
    The United States has made many errors in it's government. But by making mistakes we have learned. (somewhat)
    I pray that some peace will come of this when it is over. I doubt that we will have total world peace, but I would like to think that many nations will unite as a result.

~sadAmerican~
  • Options
    There was an interesting thing on Newsnight lastnight about bin Laden and his threat to destroy Saudi Arabia. seems like there is much more to this whole thing, particularly the USA's (Government) involvement in the OIL producing middle East.!
    However - of course that does not justify the killing of thousands of people.

A friend of my mums was in Washington at the time (And is from New York) and was genuinely scared in the days after at the way many American citizens were joining in a kind of war fest! Wanting mass destruction in return.

I think we see this in too simple terms, Some of us think Americans are all gun toting rednecks, others think they are power hungry capitalists.
    What we tend to forget is that lots of people died and their lives are worth as much as those who die in other acts of terorism through out the world, whether that be government funded or religious fundamentalism.
    Where do we go from here?
    Do we kill an equal amount of people to avenge the Twin Towers Deaths?
    Do we look for the reasons behind this act?
    Do we sit back and wait, or storm into Afghanistan because they are possibly responsible?
    We need to have a proper discussion instead of ranting about guns and Islam.

I think that as time has gone by and we haven't seen a mass invasion by the British and USA powers we should be grateful that they have waited.

[This message has been edited by byny (edited 28-09-2001).]