Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Transexuals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should Transsexuals be given free laser treatment to get rid of their stubble on the N.H.S or should they pay for it themselves ? What about gender-reassignment?

Is giving somebody with gender dysphoria an operation any different to somebody with issues about their body? For example breast implants...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think this thread's been open quite long enough now. Close it. :p
    Should Transsexuals be given free laser treatment to get rid of their stubble on the N.H.S or should they pay for it themselves ? What about gender-reassignment?

Is giving somebody with gender dysphoria an operation any different to somebody with issues about their body? For example breast implants...
    Or indeed breast reduction.

I think they should be given it on the NHS.
    I'd say only if there's a threat to their physical and mental health and the doctor thinks that that would be the best way of curing or treating it.
    Should overweight people be given liposuction?
    There are ways other than liposuction to sort out obesity. Can you change your gender by dieting and exercise?
    There are ways other than liposuction to sort out obesity. Can you change your gender by dieting and exercise?
    Ah, but what is the root cause of so-called gender dysphoria?

But not everyone finds it easy to lose weight, do they?

And why should transexuals be given changes on the NHS? It's not as if it'll kill them if they don't have the sex change... :rolleyes:

If transexuals should be given treatment on the NHS, should I, for example, be given laser treatment or something to remove the stubble on my upper lip?
    Kentish wrote:
    Ah, but what is the root cause of so-called gender dysphoria?
    I'd have a guess at it being mainly genetic, but I don't really have a clue. Just out of interest, does it usually materialise around puberty, or before? Because if it's hormone related then there's other treatment for that.
    Sofie wrote:
    No, but it is possible, which is the point I was trying to make. An operation is the only way to change someone's gender (AFAIK), but weight can be lost by ways other than liposuction.

Kentish - I have no idea what the causes are of body dysphoria.

Actually I've never heard of it, closest I can think of is body dysmorphia.
    Sofie wrote:
    Actually they usually have to lose enough weight so that it's safe for them to have surgery anyway as far as I'm aware.
    if such operations could be performed affordably, with out putting at risk nescessary and vital parts of the nhs, then why not!
    An operation is the only way to change someone's gender (AFAIK)
    But an operation can never change your sex (gender, if you must). Operations will only ever be able to tinker with the outward appearance of your body and will actually do very little to address the real problem of being uncomfortable with one's identity, which is basically the problem here.
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    if such operations could be performed affordably, with out putting at risk nescessary and vital parts of the nhs, then why not!

But the NHS has better things to spnd money on. So what's more important then, a someone having a sex change or someone having a life saving operation? - without the operation, they ould die or have srious health problems...
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I agree.

I dont think they should be done on the NHS unless there is a strong case for the personal human or physical wellbeing.
    yes thats bascially what i said. Only once such vital and necessary operations are funding and are at a level where they cant get much better, then i think it would be accept for people to have such operations on the NHS.

Take into consderatiom, such people might be siginicantly happier as a result of these operations, greatly improving their quality of life.

My spelling and grammer is poor due to my drugged up brain!
    I don't think it should be done on the nhs. I also think some of the breast surgery performed is unnecesary, and that it is a complete piss take to give people nose and ear jobs for example on the nhs.
    It depends how greatly it would effect these peoples lives dont you think?
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    It depends how greatly it would effect these peoples lives dont you think?

No. And why should people have cosmetic surgery on the NHS?
    Unless the person can manage a proper life I don't see why NHS should pay for it... If they can't well then maybe... It's a per case situation imo...

I have plenty of scars from self-abuse, they can annoy me a lot and make me remember every single day years of mental illness that I wish not to have "souvenir" off... they can also give a wrong view of who I am to third party and some do judge you byt them... i askd my GP and there is no way in hell nhs would ever cover it and it's not like i will be able to afford it anytime soon... and the cost involved here are far from being te same as a sex change operation... also i am not sure if i will ever do it as it is still a part of who i am...

ok it's not the same a being a woman trapped into a man body or anything... but I can live with it and if those who want to have a sex change operation and can live and have a job and everything, I don't see why nhs should cover it...
    More to the point, why shouldn't it be available on the NHS and do you have any idea of the number of people you are talkig about?

Mountains and molehills my friends.
    More to the point, why shouldn't it be available on the NHS and do you have any idea of the number of people you are talkig about?

So you'd pay (effectively, through tax) for a complete stranger to have a sex change? :confused:

Because the NHS appears to be strugglng financially, it shouldn't be spending money on gender reassignment operations before it can afford to reinstate free pain relief prescriptions for children... or reinstate the 700 nurses it made redundant locally, for example. If there were money enough for everything remotely medical to be covered, I wouldn' give two hoots who got what, but as the 'pot' is limited, procedures need to be prioritised and in my personal opinion, gender reassignment comes way down the list.
    Sofie wrote:
    So you'd pay (effectively, through tax) for a complete stranger to have a sex change? :confused:

I do, and in my job I make that very decision.
    katralla wrote:
    ...it can afford to reinstate free pain relief prescriptions for children.
    What are you referring to?
    katralla wrote:
    Because the NHS appears to be strugglng financially

Appearances can be decieving. The NHS could cope, if it didn't have the political directives.
    it shouldn't be spending money on gender reassignment operations before it can afford to reinstate free pain relief prescriptions for children...

Calpol is a couple of quid and lasts weeks, if not months. Why should the NHS pay for that?
    reinstate the 700 nurses it made redundant locally, for example.

Were those nurses actually needed?

Look at all the job losses announced recently, all in acute Trusts. Can you honestly say that these organisations are efficient? I would recommend that you look at how the insurance companies introduced tariff system in the NHS and then ask youself what standrds or care those insurance funded hospitals provide over there.
    If there were money enough for everything remotely medical to be covered, I wouldn' give two hoots who got what, but as the 'pot' is limited, procedures need to be prioritised and in my personal opinion, gender reassignment comes way down the list.

Does it come below mental health?
    Calpol is a couple of quid and lasts weeks, if not months. Why should the NHS pay for that?

Calpol doesn't cure everything though...
    Sofie wrote:
    Calpol doesn't cure everything though...

And... any chance you can actually explain what is the bug bear here...?
    Appearances can be decieving. The NHS could cope, if it didn't have the political directives.

That's pretty distressing.

Why shouldn't it? What are the criteria for what is covered by the NHS anyway? I'd say, calpol is an effective treatment for a medical condition, therefore - NHS. Then, we go back to the issue of prioritising... What factors would I use in deciding priority need? Maybe- medical need, efficiency of treatment, quality of life following what would be deemed succesful treatment, cost to NHS per unit of treatment and per annual usage... I'm sure there are other factors too. What do you use?

Were those nurses actually needed?

The irony there is that it appears they were and are now finding themselves working for NHS professionals back on the same wards, at a greater cost to the NHS. -Source, local nurse's gossip therefore accuracy not guaranteed.
    Look at all the job losses announced recently, all in acute Trusts. Can you honestly say that these organisations are efficient? I would recommend that you look at how the insurance companies introduced tariff system in the NHS and then ask youself what standrds or care those insurance funded hospitals provide over there.

I don't know very much at all about that at the moment.

Does it come below mental health?

Hmmm, well, I had actually categorised it as a mental health issue- would you categorise it differently?
    And... any chance you can actually explain what is the bug bear here...?

I don't really understand what you mean?
    Sofie wrote:
    I don't really understand what you mean?

It's quite clear that you have an issue with pain relief for children. I'm wondering what it is because I'm not entirely sure that you are correct...