Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

AUT Strike

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm wondering if anyone else in university is affected by the ongoing AUT industrial action.

Members of the AUT and NATFHE have asked for a 23% pay increase over the next 3 years, which was promised by the University & College's Employers Association (UCEA) when they were pushing for topup fees. The UCEA is refusing to do this and as a result, lecturers are now taking part in "action short of a strike" (assessment boycott). This means that they are refusing to mark coursework, set coursework, write exams, assess exams and generally have nothing to do with student assessment.

The AUT/NATFHE unions were due to meet the UCEA on March 28th, but the UCEA has refused to meet with unions until they suspend their industrial action. The AUT/NATFHE are refusing to suspend their strike action until the UCEA table a decent pay deal.

I have just been informed by a lecturer at my university that as far as he is aware, with only 5 1/2 weeks till exams, no exam papers have currently been written or reviewed. All but 6 of the lecturers in our department are members of the AUT and the remaining 6 are supporting the action. As far as this lecturer is aware, no contingency plans have been put in place to enable us to sit out summer exams and continue onto our next years study.

Is anyone else affected or have any more information on what happens should this stike not be resolved in the next 4 weeks or so?

Edit: Just noticed this story on the BBC News website about one university deciding to award degrees for unmarked work while the strike continues
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/4898762.stm
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My uni has issued a statement saying that while some lecturers are supporting the union, it will endeavour to have all our exams marked by the time we graduate. As far as i know, none of my lecturers are supporting the strike action, so it doesn't really affect me although i know people it does.
    We've had a small email from our university just before the strike started, but have had nothing since
    As you may be aware the AUT, the lecturers' Trade Union, is calling a one-day strike on Tuesday, 7 March 2006. The decision on whether to participate in the action is an individual one for each member of the academic or academic-related staff. You may well find that some of your lectures and classes are affected.

Following this strike day, the AUT plans to engage in action short of strike. This action is being directed at the assessment of students' work. It is impossible for the University to know, at this stage, how this further action will impact on your studies. Individual members of staff may be able to give you some indication of how this action might affect you. In some cases subject areas, or even Schools, may agree on the action to be taken. In such cases, heads of subject areas or Schools may be able to offer you further information.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Take a look at this thread :)

I am being affected, yes. But I hope they get what they want. They deserve it.
    But I hope they get what they want. They deserve it.

yeh i agree. they do deserve the pay increase, i just wish the UCEA would stop being so stuck up and actually do something.
    Take a look at this thread :)

I am being affected, yes. But I hope they get what they want. They deserve it.
    :yes: They do.

I have been affected by this strike. Some of our lectures were cancelled the other week and there is issues at the moment about our courseworks getting marked and stuff.

I saw some of our lecturers standing out in the rain striking the other week :crazyeyes
    we're affected too, my lectures were cancelled the other week while they all striked. All my lecturers have said that they will sontiinue to mark work but officially they dont have to give us our results. So far they have all been pretty good about it but it must be frustrating and worrying for those who are doing their dissertations!

I think they should get their money, i'd be screwed at uni if it weren't for my lecturers, they all go above and beyond to help.