Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok I've just had a knock on my door from my friends mum and dad about a car crash I was in a few week ago. Now then they have said me and my other friend and there son would all have to pay for the damages to the car, turns out the driver whos there son wasnt insured on there car.

They say it's going to cost over a grand, the cars a bmw beamer but the crash wasnt serious we slid across a road and hit a post, slid because there was gravel and the driver didnt see it , now anyways the damage was very superficial, number plate broke and a few scratchs on the front, so the only thing i think may put the cost up is two airbags went off, the one in the left door and the one in the door trim to protect your head.

They said if I don't pay then they'd go to the police, but could I even get done for anything? Anyone whos a mechanic could you tell me how much you think it may cost and anyone who knows law you have any idea what I could get done for? I'm thinking joyriding maybe but in my opinion it was my friend giving me and some lads a lift to a footy match.

cheers for reading :)

Comments

• BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I dont see why you should pay when you werent driving?! tell them where to go...and let them the police involved, but it will effect their son much more than it could possibly effect you, as im assuming he doesnt have a license either, so not only will he get done for driving whilst uninsured, he will get banned for driving without a license. Theyre just threats babes, dont pay a penny!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would tell them to fuck off or I will report their son to the police for driving without insurance.
    Or just tell them to fuck off.

They ain't got shit on you.
    Jeez, I could fix all that for a tenner!!
    i think he has a license because i remember him telling me a few month ago and he was working in a place valeting cars and dropping them off so assumed he'd need one for that. I don't intend on paying as I couldnt afford it anyway, only problem is my sister overheard the whole convo and may tell my parents who could chuck me out.
    why would your parents chuck you out for being in a car when it slid? it wasnt your fault, you werent driving. Tell these people you will not pay anything at all+if they threaten you at all go to the police and report the lad as driving with no insurance, and get his parents done for harasment or something.
    A reg plate's only £10!!! bloody heck!
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Robot_Alan wrote:
    i think he has a license because i remember him telling me a few month ago and he was working in a place valeting cars and dropping them off so assumed he'd need one for that. I don't intend on paying as I couldnt afford it anyway, only problem is my sister overheard the whole convo and may tell my parents who could chuck me out.
    Babes, i can see that youre upset and worried, but i seriously dont see what the problem is. Why would they chuck you out, you have done NOTHING wrong?! If he has a license, then the insurance is his issue.
    im not really bothered about getting chucked out as I'm leaving home in a few week anyway, and the repairs would cost nowhere near a grand. Just been talking to my best mate who there also try and get money out of and we've agreed to not pay anything and tell his parents where to go.

Parents mite consider chucking me out on the basis they don't like the lad who was driving at all but I doubt they would, thanks for the replies guys just wanted to see everyones opinions before I did anything :thumb:
    just remember that its him who's broke the law+they're only trying to get your money so their son doesnt get in trouble. Id tell him+his parents to bugger off
    :p mite just do that , although hopefully with any luck I'll get a phone call tomorrow telling me I'm off to Scotland next week :D houdini time
    Robot_Alan wrote:
    turns out the driver whos there son wasnt insured on there car.

Then it's their own stupid fault. Sounds like they are trying it on to intimidate you into paying for something that they are going to have to shell out for.

To be honest if anyone was going to be in the shit with the police it would be either the driver, or them for letting him use the car.
    Originally Posted by Mist
    Then it's their own stupid fault. Sounds like they are trying it on to intimidate you into paying for something that they are going to have to shell out for.

To be honest if anyone was going to be in the shit with the police it would be either the driver, or them for letting him use the car.

that's what I thought, o well leave it until they get back in touch see what they do about it. I'm not considering paying at all.
    What exactly have you done wrong? :confused:
    Mist wrote:

The driver would be in oodles of shite for driving without insurance and/or TWOC.

It IS a criminal offence to knowingly ride in a knowingly stolen car, and you could at an extreme end up with being charged with TWOC too.

It sounds like they're trying to put the pressure on to avoid them having to shell out. I wouldn't give in, but do tread carefully.