Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Car Insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this has been done many times before, but prices change all the time

Im 21, female and drive an ancient corsa with 2 years no claims. Cheapest quote ive found myself is £260 with Tesco

Does anyone know of an insurance company that you think may be cheaper?

Last time i renewed Norwich Union was cheapest for me, but this time they are more expensive

ETA: These are what i have tried so far
Budget
Peoples Choice
Screentrade
Dial Direct
Insureandgo
RAC
Peoples Choice
Direct Choice
Ladybird
Insureandgo
Quote-A-Car
Direct Choice
Norwich Union Direct
Its4Me
Swinton
Quinn Direct
Direct Choice
Lancaster Insurance
Endsleigh
Insureandgo
Diamond
Direct Line
More than
Privelage
Admiral
Churchill
Budget
AA
Elephant

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Check out swiftcover.co.uk

I saved over £200 with them :)
    £260 i would say thats a pretty good quote, i would be chuffed if any of mine came in like that!
    Check out swiftcover.co.uk

I saved over £200 with them :)

Oops actually i did try those forgot to add it to my list though. It was cheaper than alot but still not cheaper than tesco. cheers anyway
    Beans wrote:
    £260 i would say thats a pretty good quote, i would be chuffed if any of mine came in like that!

Yeh im guessing it is cheap, but i do like to make sure ive shopped around properly and got the absolute cheapest! (dam students)
    bloody cheap that. i'd snap their hands off.

but another thumbs up for swift cover here, saved a few hundred quid with them, all online, even your certificate. cant complain one bit.
    www.liverpool-victoria.co.uk

Who i'm with, they were astronomically cheaper than any of the other companies. £820, nearest quote to that was about £1900. They don't ask many questions though, so you tend to get away with more, as they're quite a new company.
    That's an excellent quote. You'll spend more on your phone bill than you'll save on that.
    Sounds like a very good quote to me, i'm with Tesco too, not found anyone with as good a cover cheaper.
    Blah wrote:
    Im 21, female and drive an ancient corsa with 2 years no claims. Cheapest quote ive found myself is £260 with Tesco

That's good.

I sell for Post Office car insurance and we'll get nowhere near that quote.
    Did you try www.confused.com
    ok thanks everyone, ive shopped around a bit more and still not found any cheaper

so im satisfied im getting the best offer!
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    I've always found Direct Line the cheapest, or Diamond....
    I've gone with Tesco for the last few years.
    if you worked for tesco, you'd save an extra £26 off that. :p
    Ive heard liverpool victoria are very good, but 260 is fab anyway, i pay 3/4 times that
    Sheilas wheels!!! honestly, cheapest i could find and i'm 20 driving a new beetle!
    Tesco is meant to be pretty good... in the last year, my (18 year old) mate has claime don his car insurance TWICE, one as a complete write off, the other just for repairs... he drove for 6 months as a provisonal driver and 6 months passed (yes, hes wrecked two cars in 6 months) and he's renewing his insurance and going to tesco.... and somehow it's cheaper, despite him owning a larger engine, in his own name, with no ncb..... we're baffled!
    £260!!!!! And you still want it cheaper?!!! im 22 and paying over 3 times that, although my car is a group 12.

Liverpool Victoria have always been very good for me though.
    Blah wrote:
    I know this has been done many times before, but prices change all the time

Does anyone know of an insurance company that you think may be cheaper?

Last time i renewed Norwich Union was cheapest for me, but this time they are more expensive

Try the CO-OP insurance, or go to www.1stquote.com and they will search for the best quote...
    Christ, I'm just looking into this now and I can't believe the difference in prices. I'm not buying a car for a while yet but I just took a Ford Fiesta as an example and was quoted £2200 on one website, then just under £1000 on another for an identical car. I thought you might get a few hundred pounds difference, but a grand?

But what have I got to look at when buying a car? I assume that anything with cheap and plentiful spare parts will have cheaper insurance. How much do you save by getting the crappy older version of the car you want (that won't end up going on repairs anyway)?
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/guides/?section=105&page=108

Cars with smaller engines tend to be lower insurance.
    you would need one with a low insurance group which you can find out on the ave website.
    what the hell engine size is this, cos ive got a 1.4 astra+my insurance is £600+thats dropped considerable down from the original cost thanx to 3 years no claims!
    Sheilas wheels wont insure students, god damnit!!!!
    And diamond want £2000 more than tescos for me??
    1400 astra. See it also depends on how much people nick those cars.
    Put your car into the link i gave, it will tell you the group.
    Mines only group 3
    what the hell engine size is this, cos ive got a 1.4 astra+my insurance is £600+thats dropped considerable down from the original cost thanx to 3 years no claims!
    It's a 99 1.25 Fiesta that I tried. But I'm a boy you see and they don't like boys. Plus I will have just got my licence and will be parking it on the street. I know that smaller engine equals lower price, but I've heard that older cars are cheaper to insure too. But I'm not sure because they're less likely to have good security features.
    Just checked and that car is insurance group 6! For a 1.25 engine car! :eek2:

Just done tesco for a group 1 car and that's about £760. To be honest, I'd rather pay the extra £200 and have a car that can actually get up hills. But if I was gonna get a group 6 car, I'd probably go for an entry level bigger car, like a 1.6 Astra or Focus rather than a fiesta, now I know there's not much difference in price anyway.
    http://www.moneysupermarket.com/motor/ try this save me £150 on mine this year got it down to under a grand now with 2 years NCB :thumb:
This discussion has been closed.