Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Buying a bike

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking to buy an Aprilia RS 125 or maybe a Cagiva xxxxx 125, and I hear their actually cheaper to buy from places like London or Sheffield. Round here in East Anglia their about 3,700 for an 06 plate, are they really a bit cheaper else where?

Comments

• Options
    the further north you go the cheaper things are.i would expect london to be expensive for anything tbh.have a look on ebay.
  • Options
    Ok cheers, I won't buy a bike from eBay, I want it from a main dealers.
  • Options
    In some bike magazines (Bike, Ride, etc) it gives you the price of how much certain bikes will cost. Not too sure if this is what you really want, but it also tells you much you're looking at playing for a bike from a private dealer as opposed to buying second hand from a private owner.
  • Options
    My mate picked up his RS 125 '99 if memory serves for about the 2 mark - Manchester, second hand off bike trader i think. No problems with it, the bike is fast as fuck. It is actually scary how fast it accelerates, leaves me for nothing. I think hes actually outdone mitos on it before. The bikes are sexy as fuck as well, strongly recommend them.
  • Options
    :chin:

First, have a look here for a rough guide to prices: http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motorcycles/bike-prices/

So you want it brand new or second hand? I would buy it second hand, in fact the best palce I've found to get them (rather than ebay) is on biking forums in the trading section. Just put up a 'wanted: sporty 125' thread and bobs ton oncle. I ahd people offering me deals that were unbelievable! Just cos they wanted to sell quick.

Dealers will be quite expensive though, in London theres tonnes of bikes everywhere so maybe supply and demand means they're cheaper there?
  • Options
    Did you know you can buy one in ARGOS!

go to argos.co.uk and search for motorbike

:p
  • Options
    BritJames wrote:
    Did you know you can buy one in ARGOS!

go to argos.co.uk and search for motorbike

:p

But isn't that just the 50cc scooter/moped?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    But isn't that just the 50cc scooter/moped?

I don't know. I haven't looked.

I just heard they sold them and were cheap.
  • Options
    I decided to not toss my money away on a new bike, instead I am gonna buy a used Cagiva Mito 125 which is exactly the same as this apart from a few less graphics. click

That way, buying a 2nd hand bike is gonna coat me loads less and I can pay for insurance/tax/MOT/protective gear :)

Cheers though.
  • Options
    I decided to not toss my money away on a new bike, instead I am gonna buy a used Cagiva Mito 125 which is exactly the same as this apart from a few less graphics. click

That way, buying a 2nd hand bike is gonna coat me loads less and I can pay for insurance/tax/MOT/protective gear :)

Cheers though.

Nice bike. I want a bike as well (have done for ages) does anyone know what the best starter bike (50cc) bike would be please?
  • Options
    I looked on eBay (after all) / ad trader / bike trader mate.
  • Options
    I looked on eBay (after all) / ad trader / bike trader mate.

Cheers. Just looking at a local website which does CBT training. Is it true that now because I'm 17, I can ride a 75-125cc bike, despite not already having a CBT?
  • Options
    I reckon you're gonna need a CBT - quite enjoyed mine.

I'm doing my DAS at the minute and I really want a tall-people bike, any suggestions? Nothing silly like R1200 GS Adventure or owt - not that solvent yet. I'm learning on a CB500 and it's on the small side.
  • Options
    CBT means Compulsory Basic Training, so you will have to do that before you can ride on the road, no matter what age.

The CBT is piss easy as well, you can't fail!

What do you want to go up to Blue, a 750 or something?
  • Options
    I reckon you're gonna need a CBT - quite enjoyed mine.

What I said came out slightly wrong.

What I meant was:

Now I'm 17, is it true that I can ride a 75-125cc bike even if I haven't already passed my bike test (the actual test, not CBT) and have never ridden a 50cc scooter?
  • Options
    well engine capacity is not really a major concern, it's inside leg measurement/seat height! I quite like the Suzuki DRZ 400 but it wouldn't be a comfortable bike to ride for a long time. Seriously, all suggestions welcome.

Sofie - You can ride a 125cc (or restricted to 33bhp) geared motorcycle on the road with L-plates after completing a CBT which lasts for 2 years. After then bike test or another CBT.