Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

EU Outlawing Raceism???????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I found this on one of our boards...wondered why I haven't seen anything here on the subject.

Certainly a fearsome 'though police' concept!

All i can say is WTF ???! http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/11/29/wrace29.xml&sSheet=/portal/2001/11/29/por_right.html
By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard in Brussels
(Filed: 29/11/2001)

RACISM and xenophobia would become serious crimes in Britain for the first time, carrying a prison sentence of two years or more, under new proposals put forward by Brussels yesterday.

Holocaust denial or "trivialisation" of Nazi atrocities would be banned, along with and participation in any group that promotes race hate.

The plans, drafted by the European Commission, define racism and xenophobia as aversion to individuals based on "race, colour, descent, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin".

Ordinary crimes would carry heavier penalities if they are motivated in any way by racism or xenophobia, or if the culprit is carrying out "professional activity", such as a police officer. Some of the crimes listed are, broadly speaking, offences under British law already, such as public incitement to violence.

But the list also a covers a wide range of activities that sometimes fall into the sphere of protected political speech, such as "public insults" of minority groups, "public condoning of war crimes", and "public dissemination of tracts, pictures, or other material containing expressions of racism of xenophobia" - including material posted on far-Right internet websites.

It was not clear yesterday how the law would affect radical Islamic groups that openly promote anti-Semitic and anti-Christian views.

Nor was it clear how it would apply to political parties opposed to mass immigration, such as Austria's Freedom Party, Belgium's Vlaams Blok, and the Danish People's Party, all of which have become serious political forces.

The law could potentially cover many stand-up comedians, and even Anne Robinson, who, during an appearance on BBC television this year, described the Welsh as "irritating".

The proposals, which will require the unanimous backing of all 15 states, are aimed at ending the patchwork of different laws across the European Union and establishing a common definition that can be used by all judges. The commission appears to have adopted the most restrictive code - Germany's - as the basis for the rest of the EU.

Leonello Gabrici, the Commission's judicial spokesman, denied that there was any intention of curbing political expression. "This totally respects free speech. It will be up to judges to decide where the balance lies" he said.

The United Kingdom Independence Party said yesterday that it could be targeted by the new rules, noting that the Oxford English Dictionary definition of xenophobia is "a morbid fear of foreigners or foreign countries".

Nigel Farage MEP, the party's chairman, said: "I'm morbidly xenophobic about this new country called the European Union, so if that is covered by this law then I'm most certainly xenophobic and I could be extradited anywhere. So I'm going to make sure my overnight bag is packed and ready."

Diesel

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think this website would probably face criminal charges if one of the users criticised the decisions of the EU.
    Nor was it clear how it would apply to political parties opposed to mass immigration, such as Austria's Freedom Party, Belgium's Vlaams Blok, and the Danish People's Party, all of which have become serious political forces.

The imprisonment of political opponants...Hmm im getting flashbacks of Hitler/Stalin/Duce etc....Just another step to the authoritarian regime being put in place.
    As much as I hate racism I think that this is just a little bit stu*id.
    im not normally one to go ranting and raving about civil liberties and freedoms etc, but this really gets up my nose.

it is, as has already been said, the first few steps towards a wonderfully authoritarian regime. i shouldn't have to be afraid of being pulled down the nick just cos i'm talking about wogs and chinks, should i?

combine this with the idea of the police getting mates to "dob" each other in on drink driving offences - hmm, reminiscient of stalin, and people informing of "anti-party" behaviour?

well isn't life just rosy. i think i'll stay in switzerland, at least here there's 7 million xenophobes (ie the whole bloody official population).

If there's anything more important than my ego around here, i want it caught and shot now
    repeat after me........

WE MUST OBEY DICTATOR FOR LIFE BLAIR HE IS DOUBLE PLUS GOOD

Although racism is disgusting, people are still entitled to their opinions. You can never outlaw racism or xenophobia, especially the latter. I will always hate the french, spanish and italians, no EU law will change that.

Originally posted by peacechild:
    repeat after me........

Hes certainly my Big Brother. When can I place my order for a telescreen?

But seriously, if I feel the need to be racist I will be. Its abhorrent, but thats not a matter for lawyers to decide...everyone has to right to free speech, no matter how vile that speech is.

"Men rarely, if ever, manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the
    morals of spoilt children." Robert A. Heinlein
    It cheers me to see so much agreement on a subject so suspicious.

Sorry, lost in cyber hell for a few days...still don't quite understand why it started working again...I know what I did that made it work...just have no idea about the whys' and soforth! It's witchcraft...cyber witchcraft!

I'll be back...later!

Diesel