Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is there anything i can do about this?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is going to be quite long, its regarding my orange contract

Got the contract in September 2003. The contract was "offpeak 1000" which for £17.99 per month gave me 150 free texts and 1000 off peak minutes. Which was all fine and dandy

Then in July 2005 i decided to add a text bundle to my contract. I added 60 texts for about £2 per month, which in theory should have taken my overall texts up to 210 per month.

However instead of adding on the 60 texts, it replaced the 150. Which meant that i thought i was getting 210 texts and kept texting away when in fact i was getting charged for each text when i exceeded 60

I hadnt noticed this had happened until a few weeks ago because all my bills were going to my home address while i was at uni.

So this evening i phoned up orange and ask for my money back for which i had been overcharged for every text that exceeded the 60. Ive been on the phone about an hour and been passed onto about 7 different people. The last woman i spoke to said that she can see a mistake has been made regarding the text packages but nothing can be done!

How is this? I asked if i can speak to someone else about it and she said her superviser said that nothing can be done.

I just dont understand how is it legal to overcharge then refuse to refund the money? If i was to estimate, they probably owe me over £150, so clearly im pissed off

I just want my money back. Ive cancelled my contract

Does anyone know what i can do next? Do i write them a letter and work out exactly how much they owe me? (which by the way will take forever). Would writing a letter even do any good, would it get ignored?

Theres no point in me ringing them again because i just get fobbed off to someone else all the time and they say nothing can be done.

I want my money :mad:

Comments

• Options
    I had this situation with Vodafone, a computer error did not register my text and wap bundle so instead of having free texts I was charged for them. I noticed 6 months later and phoned them up. The girl I spoke to sorted it out while I was on the phone, she was really apologetic and friendly and she gave me credit for what they owed.

I think you should write a letter stating precisely how much they owe you and copying and enclosing any bills and confirmation letter.
    Also state all the dates clearly in the letter.
    Go to the orange website and find the best address to send it to. They should have a customer service address.
    Also state in the letter that if you don't hear back from them within 2 weeks you will be forced to go to the Trading Standards Office and report the issue.
    Also keep phoning and repeat the same.

If you know someone involved in the law, get them to phone them and maybe help you write the letter.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Sounds like they are trying to fob you off really. They are clearly in the wrong here. Send a letter. Take it to the highest court in the land, etc..
  • Options
    Just keep on at them. Send them a letter, phone them.
  • Options
    They told me that because it was 8 months ago that it is too late for them to do anything about it

bullshit!

It was really hard to argue with them, especially as it was hard to understand the people on the other end of the phone. They just kept repeating themselves, saying "we're sorry but theres nothing we can do about it, can we help you with anything else?" it was useless

Im going to go to the citizens advice bureau when my exams are over and i will also work out the exact amount that they owe me

Is there actually anything i can do though, if they keep saying they wont refund me? i cant afford to pay for a solicitor or anything...

im so angry!
  • Options
  • Options
    Do it, write the letter, send it recorded delivery. Set timetables, dont let them take control of the situation if it does get nasty at the beginning, post up your replies here first.. and stick to the deadlines you set!
  • Options
    Yup, see my thread on small claims court judgements. Basically, you put down a small amount of money and then issue proceedings against them yourself. You don't need a solicitor.

When you say small amount, how much is defined as small?

Would i get this money back?
  • Options
    If you go throught the small claims court online it costs between 30-120£ - Bearing in mind £120 is the price I am paying for a £2500 claim..

Also this money is claimed back by you as part of the claim so if you win it is returned...
  • Options
    If you go throught the small claims court online it costs between 30-120£ - Bearing in mind £120 is the price I am paying for a £2500 claim..

Also this money is claimed back by you as part of the claim so if you win it is returned...

I wouldnt mind paying it if i had it

will have to see how much overdraft ive got left at the end of uni (5 weeks)
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Sounds like they are trying to fob you off really. They are clearly in the wrong here. Send a letter. Take it to the highest court in the land, etc..

The one on top of that there mountain? :o
    I just phoned them to check I wasn't in the same situation, hehe!
  • Options
    Does your uni offer law? It might be worth chatting to one of the law lecturers about where you stand legally as well - i know my law lecturer loves to get involved in rent disputes and things like that!
  • Options
    I had the same trouble trying to get Orange to admit a mistake and refund my money, it took me four months and I only got it sorted then because I refused to pay them any more money.

If you have been overcharged you can make a claim at the Small Claims Court. It costs you £50 to lodge a claim of up to £500, and is done on the basis of probabilities.