Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

doom and gloom.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But...Winter here in the UK have not been that cold, compared to previous years and Summers don't seem hotter then before, infact they seem cooler.

How do you explain that? If Summers are hot it is Global warming BUT if summers are cold it is Global warming. I am not saying the environment is going the way of the dinosaur, but come on, you can not blame ever drop of rain on global warming.
  • Options
    I love these environmental threads, I haven't read it all but I am sure somewhere there were people getting self righteous and blaming george Bush for the end of the world etc.

If you are worried about the environment then

STOP PISSING ABOUT ON THE INTERNET AND TURN YOUR PC OFF

you are wasting electricity......
  • Options
    Nothing is so black and white Toadborg. It is possible to criticise businesses and governments creating indescribably high amounts of pollution and global warming while using a computer and electricity without being a hypocrite.

I don't know if it's been posted as the thread is very long indeed, but here's (yet more) food for thought regarding the environmental catastrophe we're walking into, and the direct role corporations and governments play in it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/antarctic/story/0,,1755763,00.html
  • Options
    No because constantly blaming corporations and governments takes attanetion of who is really responsible and that is 'ordinary people' like those on here, and particularly those in the developed world who guzzle masses of resources including needless electricity use from pissing around on the internet as one example.

George Bush is not responsible for much more pollution than anyone else in the western world, the only reason he is blamed by so many is because he and other leaders have failed to curb other peoples behaviour but he wouldn't need to do that if people were responsible in the first place.

Ditto for the provision of goods and services by corporations. It isn't really the oil companies that are to blame for the environment it is the people who demand there producst without a thought to the consequences, which is nearly everyone........

That isn't to say that corporations and governments couldn't do more to help curb the problem but real action will only come from people changing there everyday lives......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    No because constantly blaming corporations and governments takes attanetion of who is really responsible and that is 'ordinary people' like those on here, and particularly those in the developed world who guzzle masses of resources including needless electricity use from pissing around on the internet as one example.
    People use the electricity- and the internet- for much more than just pissing about.

Electricity and the internet are both necessary and good things to have.

Are you against progress now? ;)

Like with everything else, sensible use of resources is called for of course.

George Bush is not responsible for much more pollution than anyone else in the western world
    Really?

And there was me thinking it was the president of the US who had refused to sign up to the Kyoto agreement, who refused any significant cuts in emissions because "American jobs take precedence over the envirnoment", who has given full support (I wonder why) for fossil fuel drilling in the Antarctic and who even claims that global warming doesn't actually exist...

Yep. I can see how my mum is as much to blame as George W. Bush for climate change on this planet.
    Ditto for the provision of goods and services by corporations. It isn't really the oil companies that are to blame for the environment it is the people who demand there producst without a thought to the consequences, which is nearly everyone........
    True to a degree, though the intentions of certain oil companies (Exxon the main culprit) to drill where nobody should ever drill will make them directly responsible for further deterioration of conditions there.
  • Options
    i don't think geaorge bush got much of a mention till this page.
    i personaly in thisd thread blame me and you ...us.
    but telling me to switch off my computer is the same as telling me not to travel ...not to have heat and light ...i could survive without.

but i'm not asking that we go back to the dark ages ...thats where i fear we may be headed.

we need ideas and action to carry on the momentum that takes us forever forward.
  • Options
    i don't think geaorge bush got much of a mention till this page.
    i personaly in thisd thread blame me and you ...us.
    but telling me to switch off my computer is the same as telling me not to travel ...not to have heat and light ...i could survive without.

but i'm not asking that we go back to the dark ages ...thats where i fear we may be headed.

we need ideas and action to carry on the momentum that takes us forever forward.

Yep, we are only blaming ourselves and one person switching off his computer will not change much... if an effort is not done globally, it won't change much... going to dar ages isn't the solution and will probably lead us to a world of fear and terror...
  • Options
    and ...comments such as switch off your PC ...are part of the problem.
    it belittles a huge problem facing us all.
    why are people afraid to discuss the huge problems our world faces?
  • Options

Maybe because some don't accept that we are responsible for what will happend to us... normally we should have at least an other 5 billions years on this planet... as it would probably be harder to live without a sun... but frankly i think we will fucked up this planet for good way before that...
  • Options
    mainly because there is nothing we can do about it,we can understand why but where do we go from there?