Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What we pay our tv licences for...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    BBC are bringing us, erm, Hustle.

Now is someone seriously gonna sit there and say that ITV is worse?

Absolutely. ITV doesn't have Hustle.
  • Options
    I know NTL is on top of the TV license - but what I was saying is that you get a lot more choice, programming etc. from the TV license and freeview than you do by paying for an additional 19 odd channels. If there were no TV license, I was trying to illustrate that the same amount of money would give you a lot less on NTL, for example.

As for the comment about only wanting to watch Channel 5, I'd suggest that person broadens their horizons a little...try using the channel buttons on the remote control - they're a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Let us remember one thing. ITV has an incentive to do well. It has to pull in the viewers, therefore it has to make programmes that viewers can appreciate and enjoy. If it doesn't, advertising revenue falls, and ITV could go bankrupt. The BBC, with its bottomless pit of money, has no such incentive. During the gaps between the programmes, all the BBC does is show trailers that show how brilliant they think they are. Now that insidious nonsense is spreading into its programmes too.

What a load of shit. Since when did the BBC have a bottomless pit of money (let's see some proof, please!) Do job cuts and restructuring not tell you something i.e. that the BBC realise that efficiency is needed because there is no bottemless pit. Since when did they have no incentive to create programmes that viewers can appreciate and enjoy? You make it sound like they create utter crap all the time and have no viewers (again, let's see some proof, please!)

"Insidious nonsense" - cut the pompous crap. If ITV can advertise their own shows to death, I see no reason why the BBC can't. And if they choose to avoid blatant adverts, instead promoting their programmes within other programmes, then so be it. Or are you one of these dipsticks that believes in freedom of choice and that we shouldn't be fucking influenced by anything!
  • Options
    Mac Sami wrote:
    Since when did the BBC have a bottomless pit of money

It does, it is not subject to any commercial constraints.

If they run out of money, they just bung the licence fee up by an exorbitant amount. 5% increases because the BBC cannot budget itself properly.
    Do job cuts and restructuring not tell you something i.e. that the BBC realise that efficiency is needed because there is no bottemless pit.

Not really.

Why else is that Irish fuckhead Norton on a multi-million contract? Why does Jim Davidson suck half a million big ones from Aunty's titties every year? Why does Aunty Efficient pay half a million smacker to a local news reader of all people? Anne Robinson does the square root of naff all yet she sucks a million quid out of the Beeb every year. So does Davina McCall, Jeremy Clarkson, Gaby Roslin and Chris Moyles; oh, and Chris Evans too, for that matter.

Why do the BBC need to take four times as many staff as ITV to the world cup? Why do they need to put them all up in top quality hotels? Why were the BBC hiring out exclusive hotel suites for the Commonwealth games technical staff when there's a purpose-built international media centre across the street in Melbourne?

Why do the BBC spend hundreds of thousands of pounds giving Peter Schmeichel "media training", and then pay him off with yet more hundreds of thousands of pounds when he didn't grasp how to read an autocue?

How can the BBC afford to send a crew of hundreds to Ibiza and Ayia Napa every sodding year if it has a restrictive budget?

Efficient my arse.
    If ITV can advertise their own shows to death, I see no reason why the BBC can't.

Because the BBC sells itself by being advertising-free. And steals £130 out of my wallet every bloody year to pretend that it is.
    Or are you one of these dipsticks that believes in freedom of choice

Yup, I'm a dipstick that believes in freedom of choice.

I should be free to watch the BBC's superior competitors without having to pay the thieves at Television Centre for the privilege.

I should be free to choose to turn my TV on and not get sent to jail for not handing over a gigantic wedge of readies to a bunch of corrupt, thieving scum.

The BBC should be shut down and sold off. Now is the time to do it. In a modern society thieves like Aunty have no place existing. Time to put the old bat out of my misery.
  • Options
    Worth point out Kermit, this thread was about the shite quality of programmes.

Interesting that the original post comdemned several channels in the mistaken belief that they were all funded by the licence fee. The one channel which wasn't criticised was the BBC. Funny that.

Oh, as for adverts. The BBC use their own station to mention their own products. Why is that a problem? It highlights the things which you have already paid for...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Let us remember one thing. ITV has an incentive to do well. It has to pull in the viewers, therefore it has to make programmes that viewers can appreciate and enjoy. If it doesn't, advertising revenue falls, and ITV could go bankrupt.
    ITV answers to one group of people, and it's not the viewers. The advertisers decide what get's put on ITV. A programme might get 10 million viewers, but if they're not the demographic of viewers that the advertisers want, then fuck that, we'll put on a programme for 5 million viewers that they do want. If you wanted true viewer choice then you'd have to ban adverts and have an entirely pay-per-view system (or at least pay-per-channel) which I would definitely support.

Oh and despite the few cases mentioned, the BBC is notorious for paying it's staff quite poorly.
  • Options
    Nope. The licence is only for BBC channels. ITV and the like are paid for by the adverts.

Doesn't the fee also pay for all the antenna's, television transmitters, etc? of which ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 benefit?
  • Options
    We have shit programs. This is what we do. BBC :cool:
  • Options
    ITV answers to one group of people, and it's not the viewers. The advertisers decide what get's put on ITV.

No they don't.

The viewers decide what gets put on. No viewers = no advertising revenue = ITV going bust.

A programme attracting 10 million viewers would never be pulled from ITV to make way for another programme. Don't believe the BBC bullshit.
    Oh and despite the few cases mentioned, the BBC is notorious for paying it's staff quite poorly.

Ah yes, my mistake. The local newsreader has to live in a box because her £600,000pa salary is so crap.

And as for the DG, a man so great he bites people he doesn't like, I see him having to sleep on a park bench because of his paltry salary.

I know the NUJ like to pretend they're hard done to, but they're not. They're all going on strike because the BBC has dared to shove their overpoaid cushy jobs from London to Manchester, the poor diddumses. Anyone going on strike about the BBC cost-cutting should be instantly dismissed.

As for the BBC, they can spend £20m on a programme nobody likes, and not even feel the pinch. It may well be before your time, but I remember Eldorado, and that shower of shite is symptomatic of the disgusting way the BBC steals my money and then pisses it away.
  • Options
    I don't watch TV... Well not very often. Sometimes when I'm at home I watch programs about dinosaurs and stuff... But that's about it.

velociraptor-mongoliensis1.jpg

Word. :thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    No they don't.

The viewers decide what gets put on. No viewers = no advertising revenue = ITV going bust.

A programme attracting 10 million viewers would never be pulled from ITV to make way for another programme. Don't believe the BBC bullshit.
    Who is ITV's customers? Who gives them the money? The advertisers, that's who. Therefore, they say what goes. Obviously ITV aren't going to pull a 10 million show, but they are going to address the content of it in the first place so as not to offend the advertisers. Therefore you're not truely giving the consumer what they want. An example was given by Jeremy Clarkson, where he did an episode of Top Gear in America, and the producers had to stop him saying certain things because it wouldn't be acceptable to the car manufacturers with adverts in the breaks. Is this really consumer choice or advertisers deciding what we can and can't see?
    Kermit wrote:
    Ah yes, my mistake. The local newsreader has to live in a box because her £600,000pa salary is so crap.

And as for the DG, a man so great he bites people he doesn't like, I see him having to sleep on a park bench because of his paltry salary.

I know the NUJ like to pretend they're hard done to, but they're not. They're all going on strike because the BBC has dared to shove their overpoaid cushy jobs from London to Manchester, the poor diddumses. Anyone going on strike about the BBC cost-cutting should be instantly dismissed.
    Well I'm sure the CEO of McDonalds gets a big fat paycheck too, does that mean that all the workers do? Does it fuck. The BBC pay their basic workers less than independent companies like Sky.
    Kermit wrote:
    As for the BBC, they can spend £20m on a programme nobody likes, and not even feel the pinch. It may well be before your time, but I remember Eldorado, and that shower of shite is symptomatic of the disgusting way the BBC steals my money and then pisses it away.
    Don't give me any of that "before your time" bullshit. Your one year older than me for fucks sake. Yeah I do remember Eldorado. It was expensive. It was shit. And it was pulled after one year. Independent comapnies do the same thing all the time. This an example of the BBC continuing to make a programme that no-one likes? Why d'you think it was stopped after a year then?
  • Options
    Who is ITV's customers? Who gives them the money? The advertisers, that's who. Therefore, they say what goes. Obviously ITV aren't going to pull a 10 million show, but they are going to address the content of it in the first place so as not to offend the advertisers.

What's wrong with that though?

The BBC do exactly the same thing. That's why you'll never see a pro-Conservative news story on BBC News, for instance.

And the BBC isn't exactly dripping with news stories about how its a huge waste of money and it should be shut down.
    The BBC pay their basic workers less than independent companies like Sky.

If that happens to be true, and I have my doubts, then that is exactly how it should be.

The staff at the BBC shouldn't have a job at all really.
    Don't give me any of that "before your time" bullshit. Your one year older than me for fucks sake.

A lot of people don't remember it.
    Yeah I do remember Eldorado. It was expensive. It was shit. And it was pulled after one year.

At a cost of £20m to the people of this country.

How many people were dismissed for that?

I should really add Rhodes and Gormenghast to that list of expensive flops. Between then £65 MILLION of MY MONEY went down the lav because of the BBC's gross incompetence.

And the reason why the BBC continue with this gross incompetence? It's because they are not responsible to anyone for anything. When I can vote out the DG, and when I can vote to get rid of racists like Davidson, then perhaps the BBC might possibly have a leg to stand on.

As it is it sucks my wallet dry, and offers me nothing in return that isn't done better and cheaper by independent companies.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What's wrong with that though?
    Everything is wrong with that. Your argument is that the BBC isn't accountable to the viewer, but neither is independent TV. It may be more accountable than the BBC, but it still answers primarily to the advertisers. If your happy with that as you 'consumer choice' and 'free market' then fine, but I'm not.

I agree with everything you've said about the BBC in principle (though I don't care that much because I would voluntarily pay for it given the chance). But the only way to to have a BBC that is truely accountable that would be to replace the license fee with an optional BBC service, but most importantly, one that relies on subscriptions instead of, not as well as advertising for revenue.
  • Options
    Everything is wrong with that. Your argument is that the BBC isn't accountable to the viewer, but neither is independent TV. It may be more accountable than the BBC, but it still answers primarily to the advertisers.

But it doesn't though.

Sure you won't get a programme sponsored by B&Q extolling the virtues of Wickes, but big deal.

When was the last time Aunty Pickpocket told us all to watch ITV because it was better?
    But the only way to to have a BBC that is truely accountable that would be to replace the license fee with an optional BBC service, but most importantly, one that relies on subscriptions instead of, not as well as advertising for revenue.

I'd agree with that.

If the BBC was set up as a commercial organisation it would be accountable to the people paying for it. If they made shite telly and kept paying "stars" such as Christa Ackroyd £600,000 a year then they would go bust. They would be acting on a level playing field with the independent commercial operators, and that is exactly how it should be. If the BBC brand is strong enough the company will swim; if it isn't, it won't.

The problem I have with the BBC is that it is funded by theft and kept afloat with extortion. Either I pay those thieves £130 or I go to prison. Where's the accountability and choice in that?

The BBC then chooses to act as a commercial organisation and drive its competitors into liquidation because it has a guaranteed income every year. BBC Worldwide exists solely to sell programmes I've already fucking paid for back to me on DVD. BBC Magazines debunk the theory that the Beeb is advertising-free- why is it that at the end of every programme there's an advert telling me to buy the commercial magazine if the BBC doesn't do advertising? And the worst thing of all is BBCi- no other company can get a decent web presence because the BBC pours hundreds of millions of pounds of my money into a website that acts solely as a commercial operator.

The BBC uses its privileged and protected status to drive independent companies out of business. That is completely inexcusable, and its about time that independent commerce was protected ahead of the corrupt and inefficient BBC.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But it doesn't though.

Sure you won't get a programme sponsored by B&Q extolling the virtues of Wickes, but big deal.

When was the last time Aunty Pickpocket told us all to watch ITV because it was better?
    Of course it does. Let's take independent channels rather than individual programmes as examples then instead. No channel with non-conformist views or opinions is allowed to exist, because they are funded entirely by advertising. No company would want to be associated with Nazi TV or something, but it's existence should be down to the number of viewers it attracts, not whether or not people want to advertise on it. Sky charges a subscription, but I don't think any of that money goes to the independent TV companies that offer a service as part of their package (and the service providers have a large part in what channels are allowed to exist too). In the digital age there's the potential for TV channels to cater for everyones tastes, but only those with advertising potential get a look in rather than those with a true market. But I don't think you're ever going to get past advertising in programmes, even if it's just product placement.

Oh I agree with you about the BBC though. Anyone notice the blatant Apple advertising in Spooks, for example. But I still think they offer the programming that is least compromised by advertising. That's why if the BBC was to go private, it should keep it's policy on non-advertising, but I'm not sure if this would be viable while remaining competitive (would more people subscribe voluntarily if they promised to have no adverts).
  • Options
    No channel with non-conformist views or opinions is allowed to exist, because they are funded entirely by advertising.

To an extent perhaps, but really I think the main reason is that television and radio platforms are heavily monitored and licensed, and you are not allowed to broadcast unless you are conformist.

Why else would it be a criminal offence to broadcast a radio station without having a government-approved licence?

Your comments about Sky choosing what channels to carry on its system equally apply to the BBC's Freeview platform. And the BBC is notoriously anti-competitive when it comes to the radio platform, it is a well known fact that competitors to the BBC find it largely impossible to gain national FM frequencies. Many of the BBC's closest commercial competitors such as Galaxy only get around it by owning many local stations with existing frequency rights, and some competitors such as Virgin don't get around it at all.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    To an extent perhaps, but really I think the main reason is that television and radio platforms are heavily monitored and licensed, and you are not allowed to broadcast unless you are conformist.

Why else would it be a criminal offence to broadcast a radio station without having a government-approved licence?

Your comments about Sky choosing what channels to carry on its system equally apply to the BBC's Freeview platform. And the BBC is notoriously anti-competitive when it comes to the radio platform, it is a well known fact that competitors to the BBC find it largely impossible to gain national FM frequencies. Many of the BBC's closest commercial competitors such as Galaxy only get around it by owning many local stations with existing frequency rights, and some competitors such as Virgin don't get around it at all.
    Absolutely agree with you. I think the BBC is as anti competitive as you can get and I'm a firm believer that anyone should be able to broadcast anything they want provided it doesn't hurt anyone. Although I think broadcast licences are actually more to do with limited bandwidth than anything else. It was originally the case that channels had to be approved because we couldn't have a channel no-one wanted using up valuable bandwidth. But with the rise of digital TV and the Internet, there is no excuse for TV channels to not be able to broadcast because there is now unlimited bandwidth. But I still really resent advertiser controlled viewing.
  • Options
    bbc=tb