Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

An Open Letter To Islam

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    (re Religously motivated terror groups)
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent:
    Except perhaps the Black September, Abu Nidal etc. Twenty years ago was 1981 dude, Black September memorably struck at the 1972 Olympics. Or wasn't that religiously motivated?

Okay, I take that back. Let's go for "very few" instead. Plus, and no offence, I wouldn't count anti-Semitic / anti-Israeli groups. My point was, there's been an explosion in numbers of religo-political terror groups since 1980-ish.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Diesel:
    IRA = freedom fighter in NYC...

Osama Bin Laden = Freedom Fighter in Afghanistan (and many other places in the Middle Eastern states).

So your point is what exactly?

That because US citizens openly support this organisation, it isn't terrorist by it's nature?

The IRA are fighting the legitimate democratically elected Government, which coincidentaly is recognised by the US Govt. They do so by planting bombs to kill 'innocent' people including women and children. They do not discrimate between military and civilian. They then run and hide. Just because they don't have the balls to mount such a huge attack, doesn't make them any better.
  • Options
    "THE WALK FOR AN END TO VIOLENCE AGAINST ALL PEOPLES OF THE WORLD"

On this coming Saturday the 29th of September, there is going to be a walk.
    A walk against the use of violence.
    A walk against the use of violence as a means of exacting revenge or bringing about justice.
    A walk against the use of violence by individuals against innocent people.
    A walk against the use of violence by nations and states against innocent people.

Please join in a walk to end violence against ALL peoples, in ALL countries and continents of the world.

This will be a continuous walk around Cardiff city centre. Starting at the Aneurin Bevan statue at the top of Queen Street, the route will take people down Queen Street, round past Marks & Spencers towards Charles Street, round towards Debenhams until people arrive at the Hayes, from where they will continue walking, up past the central market, past the church then round back up towards Queen Street to end up at the Bevan statue once again. The walk will continue on this route all day, from 11am to 5pm without stopping. People can join for as long or as short a time as they wish, be it three hours or five minutes... As the walkers make their way round, people will be handing out flyers explaining what the walk is about, and inviting people to join it.

This walk is not organised by any specific group. It has been initiated by private individuals who simply want to do something and invite others to do the same. If you wish to join people in a statement against the past, present and future uses of violence, and the impending use of further violence against more innocent people, then come along.

We will carry a banner: "WALKING FOR AN END TO VIOLENCE AGAINST ALL PEOPLES OF THE WORLD" in Welsh and in English.
    If you wish to also bring a banner, however small or large, we would ask you to produce one with the same wording. We are asking respectfully that people do not bring banners or material promoting specific causes or groups, as we would like the walk to be as open, accessible, and non-agenda aligned as possible. It is important that as many members as possible, from the diverse communities within the city and within the region of South Wales, feel comfortable to join in.

JOIN THE WALK AND MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD. COME WITH YOUR FAMILIES, YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR COLLEAGUES! CHILDREN! BRING YOUR PARENTS, YOUR SIBLINGS! PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS INFORMATION AS WIDELY AS YOU CAN, TO INDIVIDUALS, TO ORGANISATIONS, TO YOUR COMMUNITIES.

THE WALK BEGINS AT 11AM, FROM THE ANEURIN BEVAN STATUE AT THE TOP OF QUEEN STREET. IF YOU WANT TO BE PART OF THE FIRST OUTGOING WALK AT 11AM, THEN PLEASE TURN UP AT 10.30AM.

• Options
    I'll walk for peace...with full field kit and weaponry...anythingl less is just fluff.

Diesel

• Options
    all religion is complete and utter tosh

you can argue all you like, but the fact is that religion is for the weak minded.

religion has always existed because it explains the gaps that science can't, it's no surprise that as science progresses, religion is dying out. it's also no surprise that in the third world religion is more common than in more economically developed countries, in which education is compulsory for children

those that don't know, pray

the amount of times religion has been re-defined is uninmaginable. from classical theism to process theism, from one interpretation of the bible to another one

you can tell the bible is complete tosh from the first few pages of genesis

adam and eve are created and they two sons blah blah...

one gets killed by the other and the survivor ventures off to the land of nod where he takes himself a wife

er..hello? wife? where'd she come from. i see no "meanwhile in the land of nod, god had been busy creating every other bugger and his brother and sister, and actually one of these married one of the original sons of adam and eve..."

religion has been the cause for more conflict and tension than anything else. it's been pretty damn responsible for millions upon millions of deaths as well

personally i dont give a shit if someone's black, white, jewish, muslim, hindu - they're all people. if they don't work and they bum off the state, they should get a kick up the arse. if they claim false asylum, they should fuck off back home. if they're beating up old grannies, they should be sent down.

fact is the morons that were flying the planes were completely fucked up and get brainwashed with all the shit that's drilled into them from an early age

i wish i could see the day when religion had no place and see what the world would be like. odds on bets it would be a happier place.

the problem with religion is that it gives people ideas of hierachy. much like nationalism and for example the nazi theism, it makes people believe they are above others and that they have rights to this that this and the next thing

religion should fuck right off and people should learn to live together and use common sense and suitable manners and ideals to shape their lives - not be so aimless that they need to consult "sacred" texts on how to manage their conduct for the occassion.

"religion is the opium for the masses"

damn right, Lenin. communism is a wank idea as well, due to human characteristics such as free speech and thought, but at least he got some things right
  • Options
    The thing is it's easy for those of us raised with an open mind to accept that religion is tosh.
    Those people who are indoctrinated from birth, be it christianity, Islam or whatever it's hard for them to shake off the shackles.
    If they have true and utter faith good for them I guess but it becomes dangerous when they refuse to accept others. As athiests or agnostics we should accept others opinions because to deny htem their religion or faith wouold be to become exactly like them!
    I think religion is stupid - for me,
    but if you are cool with it in your life -fine!
  • Options
    How did the peace event go in Cardiff byny?
    Its my home town so i expect there was a good turn-out.I sense a strong mood against war in London as more and more people realise the desperate state of ordinary Afghanis and about US involvement in the past in arming and funding religious fundamentalists in the region.
  • Options
    not really enough people there to stop it looking like some kind of Hare Krishna march which was a shame.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny:
    The thing is it's easy for those of us raised with an open mind to accept that religion is tosh.
    Those people who are indoctrinated from birth, be it christianity, Islam or whatever it's hard for them to shake off the shackles.
    If they have true and utter faith good for them I guess but it becomes dangerous when they refuse to accept others. As athiests or agnostics we should accept others opinions because to deny htem their religion or faith wouold be to become exactly like them!
    I think religion is stupid - for me,
    but if you are cool with it in your life -fine!

I, too, used to think that people should be left in ignorance. Then three planes were used in an attack that shocked the Western world (I say 'Western' because the East really doesn't care that much, except for the
    countries near Afghanistan).

It has already been pointed out that one of the prime causes (or should I say facilitators) of the September 11 atrocoties was blind faith. Not just Islam, but faith in general.

Killing Osama bin Laden will change nothing. In his death he will be a martyr; in continued life a hero. The same applies to every faith-driven criminal on the planet.

If we truly wish to reduce the chances of a September 11 Mark 2, we have to attack faith itself. We have to attack the very mechanism that allows people to believe things and commiit crime that no sane and rational being could do.

Yes, it's iconoclasticism.

Yes, it is depriving people of their so-called 'right' to delude themselves.

Unfortunately, it's what needs to be done.

---

You're damn right we need a rational code of morality and ethics. But not much progress can be made in that direction while we've still got a majority ranting about gods, devils, souls, and absolute morality, and using an ancient book written by ignorant nomads as a guide.