Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Horror Films

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Sorry if there is a similar thread. I couldn't see one.

What horror films scare you?
I just watched The Descent OHMAGAWD. Claustrophobic or what??? Oh and also Wolf Creek arrrgh

What horror films don't?
None so far..I'm a proper wimp.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Horror films don't really scare me but I have found two that were particularly eerie. The Japanese Ring and Halloween.
  • Options
    One that did scared me when I was a teen was Pet Sematary...

Otherwise none really did scare me, quite enjoy them tho...

But I like more gore movies, more blood in them...
  • Options
    I remember when I was younger the original Evil Dead film scared me.

Ahhh Bruce Campbell, what a legend.
  • Options
    I think thrillers are more scary than horrors. I like stuff like Psycho and Seven. But there were some scary moments in John Carpenters The Thing, Texas Chainsaw and I still love Night of the Living Dead.
  • Options
    The Nightmare on Elm Street movies freaked me out a little because I always have nightmares and I was silly enough to watch this film on my own late at night.
  • Options
    The Hitcher owns this thread, for me. I think the girlfriend meets the worst fate I've ever had the misfortune of half watching from behind the sofa. Rutger Hauer still features in my nightmares. :nervous: :yuck:

But the film that's stayed with me as being utterly chilling since childhood is Return to Oz. My best friend and I used to watch it constantly when we were growing up, and the Wheelers used to terrify us halfway to insanity. I did always love the part with the heads screaming "Doooorothy Gaaaaaale!" though. Hee. I made my flatmates watch it recently and it was like a fucking bad trip, I don't know how I missed how creepy, weird and sinister the whole thing is. They were quite disturbed that it was one of my childhood favourites.

The Grudge is the worst "horror" I have ever seen, I wouldn't even call it mildly thrilling.

Anyone who likes to be scared of living in their own home should hunt down Bad Ronald in which the mother hides her son behind the walls of the house to protect him from the law, promptly pops her clogs and leaves him behind to perve on/terrorise the new owners. I wish I wasn't home alone this weekend.
  • Options
    The best horror movies I've seen are Evil Dead and The Ring. Really scary. :nervous:
  • Options
    The descent was the scariest film i've ever seen. i screamed out loud twice in the cinema and after the film finished i was a shaking mess and had to go next door for a double vodka.
  • Options
    The Hannibal lecter Trilogy was quite scary.

I watched Hostel the other week and that REALLY scared me.
  • Options
    I don't get scared by films... Apparently, Wolf Creek is sickening.

The Hills Have Eyes is mildly amusing and there was another one I enjoyed... I think it was called Dead End or something about this family going down a continuous road... I really quite liked that.

But yeah, haven't been scared in years.
  • Options
    Is it just me or was the Descent not one of the CRAPPPPPPEST films ever made?! I can't believe some of you people are even putting it in the genre of horror!! It was just a bunch of women going caving with the occasional screechy monster thing which was the lamest monster I'd ever seen. I wish I hadn't sat through it to be honest.

I really like the 70's/80's horror films, written around the time when LSD was so popular. The storylines are great and there's usually some kind of sick horror/sex connection that kind of freaks me out. I think a horror is a proper horror when it plays with your mind rather than making you jump out of your seat.

I can never remember the names of good ones as I seem to watch loads, but a film I like alot is called 'Eraserhead' - it's done in black and white with barely any sound but it's brilliant, I've watched it about 5 times and still don't quite understand it all. Do not watch whilst on drugs though as it'll freak you out...it feels like some kind of trip just watching it.
  • Options
    I cant watch stuff that is mega scary about hillbilly mutant canabals for example, but slasher horror, serial killer horror is no problem. Ghost horror used to spook me but not as much as i got older.

i like films for how they are as films now, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream 1 and 2 but not 3, I know what you did last summer, etc.

The Ring i found boring.
  • Options
    I've never seen a scary movie that actualy scared me. They are always to ott and cheesy. Oh my god theres a monster with wings and he eats your eyes to see people... oooooo or a man with a machete that cannot die, the horror :| Or the man with the hook that kills virgins and their in the closet boyfriends. :rolleyes:

That robin williams movie, which would be more suspense, I think it was called one hour photo, now that was a freaky movie.
  • Options
    The first time I watched the exorcist it scared the living piss out of me!! :nervous: I was 11 or 12,had no clue what the film was gonna be (I thought like halloween or something) and watched it alone in my pitch black house with a massive windy storm going on outside..........the thing that freaked me out was that fucking voice that came out of the little girl. :eek: Its not NATURAL dammit..........well of course it isnt, its a film you plank...... :banghead:
    Nowadays its light entertainment,kinda like the muppets!! :D
  • Options
    i dont really get properlly scared by horror movies.. even though the descent did make me jump several times!!

although i remember when i was little, watching the shining with my dad and i was petrified!!

the only ones that do scare me a little are the original 'haunting' (when eleanor is in bed and something is slamming on her door :nervous: )

aand nightmare on elm street. especially the first one and.. er number 5 i think?! the one where freddy force feeds this girl her own insides :yuck: gross

as for bad horror films.. i dont really know! cant think of any...
  • Options
    I lurrrrrrve horror films! :heart: Its really rare i get one to scare me now but i was scared by the original Ring, and by the Descent.

Hostel has to be one of the worst though.
  • Options
    Horror films always scare me, c'mon I was freaked out by Signs. :o

I loved Seven and the Bone Collector though.
  • Options
    MARS ATTACKS! Even now I can't watch that movie. :nervous: And yes I know it was supposed to be a comedy.
  • Options
    tbh i dont really get scared by horror films either, I'll agree with turlough though by saying that there are a select few that are rather creepy. The japanese version of the ring is eerie and just has this sinister atmosphere all the way through and must be watched on your own in the dark in the middle of the night!!
    I think ones with parts i dont expect are the most 'scary' horror films, such as the alien walking past the window in signs, the monster thing behind the girl in the decent when she turns the camera around and also i'll say the 1st scene of constantine when the guy gets hit by a car!
    I really like horror films though just to see if they can make me jump, especially foreign horror films - they just seem to be more atmospheric and edgy due to the language barrier
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    such as the alien walking past the window in signs

I'd say that's up there with "least scary moments" in my opinion, just goes to show how opinions vary...

I'd forgotten to say that I agree with I'm With Stupid about Seven, though it's certainly more horrifically disturbing, than "scary".

Another less "scary" than deeply, deeply disturbing film is Irreversible. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, I think I'm still traumatised from watching it. That's true "horror".
  • Options
    last house on the left for me, i prefer real horror :thumb:
    horror is my genre, love it to the max
  • Options
    i fell asleep during the shining....just waiting for something to happen and it never it....or it probably did after i fell asleep
    blair witch project was the shittiest film ever

i thought house on the haunted hill was quite weird when the girls got the camera and you can see an operation happening but theres nothing there....then she gets dragged into the wall...and the chamber bit was quite weird.