Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Frustrated in long distance ralationship

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
any opinions ??

Comments

• Options
    if you're so in love with her then why are you calling her a depressed suicidal cow?
  • Options
    Well because she is depressed, and she is suicidal.
    i dont really think shes a cow its how she describes herself.
  • Options
    I think you're going about this in the wrong way. If she's depressed and sometimes suicidal she needs your support. It might be hard, but she's not doing it to be a cow, she's not doing it because she hates you. She takes things out on you because she expects you to be the one to make it better and to calm her down. My previous boyfriend was a manic depressive, and once he moved away it became a long distance relationshop. I was always there for him. I was a self-harmer, and he did his best to help him out.

A relationship works two ways, and she needs your help. It can be hard, I know that and appreciate that. Try talking about it with her, or approaching her in a more complimentary way rather than being frustrated with her moods.

If you really love her, you'll do this. And communication is absolutely 100% crucial in a long distance relationship. There's no other way about it.
  • Options
    Thank you a very helpful reply.

I realise i need to support her when shes in these moods. I had been doing so since i realised she had these problems, but its very hard to be supportive when its thrown back in your face as being weak, especially on top of the stress of final year of uni and my own worries about being so far away from her.

i have tried to talk about it without being confrontational, but it soon sprials into more than it should be, like last night.

said she wants to end it to make it easier for us both, mainly she says cos of how she treats me and shes worried she will lose me because of it.

I dont know if i should be giving her some space so she doesnt think im weak or be supporting her and making sure she knows she wont lose me.
  • Options
    Ok... you have to assure her that you're gonna be there for her. No matter what, you will be there. Make sure she knows and understands that you are ready and willing to support her. She will accept this and appreciate this, even if it doesn't seem like it to you immediately.

Also, try suggesting that she talks to someone about it and that maybe she seeks professional help. Try to show her that it might help. If she accepts, then go through it with her. If not, then don't push it any further. The fact that you have suggested it shows that you care, and it will mean that she will be thinking about it.

You have to be there for her, but don't let it stress you out too much. There is only so much that you can do. Try your best, but make sure that you can have your space and your time too.

:)
  • Options
    Thank you very much everything worked out fine thanks to your advice
  • Options
    personally i don't think your past gives you any excuse to treat people badly. it's horrible that things like that have happened to her, and i wouldn't wish depression or trauma on anyone, but it doesn't give you a get-out-of-jail-free card for being a dick.

obviously there would be some things you could excuse, like the moods, but this bit was just her being out of line:
    she seemed to start trying to test me, flirting with my friends teasing me about very personal things infront of friends.

if i were you, i would let her know that yes, you will be there for her, and you'll support her as much as she needs, but she can't take her trauma out on you. it isn't healthy for either of you, and it isn't fair.
  • Options
    So we talked about why she gets into such bad moods and i found out that she was raped, had a lot of bad experience in all her previous relationships and shes tried to kill herself, and that she still thinks about suicide.

While you may try your best to be supportive because of her previous bad experience, she may need to get some professional counseling to help her cope with what had happened. It's not healthy to be having any kind of suicidal thoughts. Encourage her to get some counseling.
  • Options
    Thank you very much everything worked out fine thanks to your advice

I'm glad that everything worked out.
    x
  • Options
    Well it turns out she was acting the way she was because she cheated on me. Right at the start of our relationship, we met during the summer and i had seen her about 4 times before i went off on holiday for a month which is when it happened.
    I suspected something had happened but it took her till now to tell me, on my birthday and after i traveled a thousand odd miles to spend my easter holidays with her. Really not sure what to do im obviously hurt by it and lost some trust. but it didnt hurt me as much as i thought it would and we obviously werent very serious at the time it happened and i am mostly just relieved that i know why she was acting the way she was.
  • Options
    okay i'm confused here, she's depressed, suicidal, lives a thousand miles away, and acts like a dick because she cheated on you (like that's a valid excuse or something?)........and your really not sure what to do? this girl has way too many issues, sure it's harder to do what you have to if you care about her but people like this can fuck your life up if you let them, ive been in a somewhat similar but way less extreme position so let me spell it out for you - start running fast, don't look back, and find a woman that treats you right.
  • Options
    okay i'm confused here, she's depressed, suicidal, lives a thousand miles away, and acts like a dick because she cheated on you (like that's a valid excuse or something?)........and your really not sure what to do? this girl has way too many issues, sure it's harder to do what you have to if you care about her but people like this can fuck your life up if you let them, ive been in a somewhat similar but way less extreme position so let me spell it out for you - start running fast, don't look back, and find a woman that treats you right.

It's not easy to run away from someone you love, even if they treat you badly or cheat on you. Especially if this girl is suicidal, it may make it worse as she could get more depressed and then the guy would feel really guilty if she did take any of her suicidal traits further.
  • Options
    It's not easy to run away from someone you love, even if they treat you badly or cheat on you. Especially if this girl is suicidal, it may make it worse as she could get more depressed and then the guy would feel really guilty if she did take any of her suicidal traits further.

i didn't say it was, in fact i stated it wouldn't be in my post, i've been there so i do know........at the end of the day you have to stop blaming yourself for somebody else's misery, it's not his fault she's like that and if he takes it all on himself to put it right he's gonna get very weary and jaded fast......that's just my judgement based on experience, some people have less issues than others and everyone's different, that's just my 2p.
  • Options
    Im not really to worried about the suicidal thoughts now, im sure she will be ok if i left her, although i am horried about her. i just feel something very special for her i have not felt before and she really seems like the perfect person for me and when we are getting on well niether of us have been so happy before. i have given it a lot of thought and have been in a similar position in the past and had no trouble running away as fast as possible, i can accept what she done and feel i can move on with her and have a stronger relationship because of it.
  • Options
    look im a bit like that and i think ur doin ur best and u r obviosly in love wiv her and if sum1 like u came along all ma problems and evrythin da happened in the past wld b gone but i wldnt tell ur m8s personal things or flirt wiv them. shes probably tries really hard not to take it out on u wen shes in a mood and den feels guilty afterwards and is scared ull leave her. she seems really depressed right now n the only way to go about is to be there 4 her untill she gets over it. sorry i dnt hav much advice 2 giv but ive tried.
    and if u do love dnt leave her especialy not at a time like this.
  • Options
    Oh well just split up today. tried my best. says she doesnt think she loves me because she couldnt treat me so badly if she did, thinks we have to many arguements normaly about 2 a week when she gets into a one of her bad moods, not exacly arguements either just dont talk for a few hours and she wants my life to be easier

possibly my life will be easier without her but i was happy with a difficult one
  • Options
    Feeling a mixture of pain and relief just wish i had listened to kaffrin. Was probably deluding myself about how everything was, apparently i was the cause of her depression and suicdal thoughts as she wanted to finish it ages ago but was affraid of hurting me. feel a complete twat i didnt take more notice of the warning signs.
  • Options
    Dont worry and stress yourself about it mate,you cared too much. :yes:
    Chin up,you sound like a good bloke and your single now so you`ll probably have no trouble geting a girl who will really care about you. :thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah im sure i will. just annoyed she let it go on so long letting me think all our problems were due to her depression, when i would have been perfectly happy if it finished 4 months ago before i let myself belive it all and fell i love because of it.
  • Options
    apparently i was the cause of her depression and suicdal thoughts as she wanted to finish it ages ago but was affraid of hurting me.

wow. what an unecessarily harsh thing to say to someone.

don't beat yourself about it, mate. all you did was try to be there for her, and there's no shame in that. we all make mistakes in relationships, and if your mistake was being a bit too kind to someone who doesn't sound like they deserved it, well, you know, personally i could live with that.
  • Options
    I have no trouble living with it. the fact she treated me like that makes it very easy to walk away. well if i wasnt stuck in her house till friday that is. Dispite what she told me i am still worried about her i think if she was having suicidal thoughts be it my falt or not she clearly has problems she needs to sort out but she refuses to get counseling
  • Options
    You need to stop worrying.I know its hard but shes not your problem anymore mate.If you still worry about her stay in contact or something if you think it`ll make you feel better,but more likely than not you`ll keep your feelings for her and still feel all cut up inside.
    Like they say,out of sight and out of mind. :thumb:
    Ps dont let her blame her depression on you,you tried to help her through all her shit so dont even contemplate that thought. :no:
  • Options
    Still stuck here with her which is the worst possible situation i can imagine, had to share a bed with her last night, she refused to sort out somewhere else for me to sleep.

Told me she needed to talk to me about us last night but wouldnt say what, said she would talk later, which turned out to be 4am in the morning :mad: at which point she starts to try and hold me and stroke me, and asks if im ok, she didnt like my responce of telling her i felt much better than i expected and that i didnt really want to talk when i was trying to get some sleep. She went on to tell me why she hates me and to blame all her problems on me.

Was getting pretty pissed off at this point and noticed she clearly didnt have a clue who i really am. So i decide to be honest and point out some of the reasons we were arguing so much, maybe i was being harsh, wasnt trying to just had enough of her blaming me for everything, To which she replys that i need to think about what im saying or i will be resposible for her taking her own life.

Shes been looking terrible all day not stopped crying and has just sped of in her car, really worried she will do something stupid.

Sorry for my ramblings needed to let it out not having anyone to talk to here but her
  • Options
    Reading that it does seem to sound a teeeeensey bit like she wants your attention so is threatening to take her life to make you give it to her........possibly? :chin:
    Plus,you had a right standing up to her when she was telling you how she hates you and blames you etc..........why dont you tell her how much shes been messing your life up?
    At the end of the day shes not your responsibilty and if your worried about her cant you alert the police or something to keep her on suicide watch?
  • Options
    She went on to tell me why she hates me and to blame all her problems on me.

Was getting pretty pissed off at this point and noticed she clearly didnt have a clue who i really am. So i decide to be honest and point out some of the reasons we were arguing so much, maybe i was being harsh, wasnt trying to just had enough of her blaming me for everything, To which she replys that i need to think about what im saying or i will be resposible for her taking her own life.

Shes been looking terrible all day not stopped crying and has just sped of in her car, really worried she will do something stupid.

she is doing something stupid. it's called emotional blackmail and you don't have to stand for it.

imo the best thing you can do for both of you is walk away and never look back. i know that sounds a bit harsh, but you need to learn that some people will do anything it takes to manipulate others and that you're better off without people like that in your life, and she needs to learn that it takes more than a sob story or guilt trip to keep a hold of people, and she needs to start thinking about how she treats people.
  • Options
    God, seems like youve landed yourself a right one.
    Is there any way at all you can get home earlier?
    Kaffrins right. Shes emotionally blackmailing you, and it wouldnt surprise me if she now kept changing her mind as to whether she wanted you or not, just because youre coping ok. She will try to mess with your head now she realises you are fine without her.
  • Options
    Sort of in the same boat,long distance, starts off wonderful and so on. Later on things change, she called me her bf and kept saying "I love you" like every other woman I know so this time I thought forget it and just said it back not that I meant it. As time progressed, which was just about 4 weeks she starts saying how this long distance dont work, how her friends party and have sex and she dont, blah blah blah. Then the rape story came into play, it was the same night she was acting off with me.

Found it too coincidental that she told me about him (her ex) just the night before then all of a sudden he appears and rapes her when she is really drunk and horny...heh

I was there for her and made her go to the police, not that anything got done. Since then she started talking to another ex (long distance one) and stopped the xxxxx and the "I love you" stuff, she probably blames me for it. I remember her saying "everytime I read an email from you I feel I have done something wrong and its all my fault", I didnt realise she felt like this and thats the indication of where its going.

Since then she was apparently busy with university and so on so I didnt say much and just told her im here when she needs me, after some asking around from people I knew her and the ex were doing 'friendly' online stuff and seemed pretty close, then whenever I got a chat with her she said "oh I miss you" "oh this" "oh that" explaining how busy she is with no time, blatent bullshit, you know, the general deep caring comments but really they had no meaning. There is only so much I could take but after what she had been through I thought I would just stay for her as a friend. She wasnt too busy, just too busy for ME.

I sent the odd email as time went on and so did she but after that it was only a matter of time and I knew she wasnt serious even as a friend, I was just there when no one is online or shes lonely, fuck that whats the point in a friendship or relationship if they just use you? Then I get this yet another deep feeling email later on and I didnt reply, its just too much pain and I know she didnt care. I saw her online once and just gave a quick "hope you are ok" in hope she would respond, she blocks me so I just sent a fairwell email and what do I get back? Another "you are a bad guy" email. After that I just apologised for whatever I did and thats it, this was yesterday.

All in all, she needed me at first but once her ex contacted or she contacted her ex, it went down hill and this "you are bad to me" to "hey hows u" emails wasnt confusion, I think it was to distance me without saying fuck off or keep me on a leash? who knows but I know it wasnt geniuine care from one person to another, after all that talking I did with her about honesty too. I tell you right now mate, leave it even if you are tempted to go back just leave it be.

Plenty more decent loving women (just hard to find) available, someone who will appreciate you. What I find in the end is they regret it, I offer nothing but my care and honesty and in return they abuse it. This happened with a few girls; 1 year on; one is homeless or something and the other has gone a tad bit strange, dont know about the rest. Its sad, there is no need to do it but meh, women. I hear all this crap how bad men are, yet I find decent guys just care too much, I havent lost hope though(with her I have but I mean in general).
  • Options
    Well finally made it home, feels good to be back not feeling particularly bad about what happened, learnt a lot from it and we left on good terms.

Im not sure whether it was emotional blackmail or not partly yes, but i get the impression she really was thinking about taking her life, she had attepted it once in the past, and is clearly very worried about her problems, trying to blame them on me so she could block them out and hope they will go away on their own.

Ive known a couple of truely horrible girls and she is nothing like them. Dispite everything i know she isnt a horrible person, i can see she is truely sorry for how she treated me and didnt mean to do the things she done. She is clearly very confused and has a lot to sort out in her mind.

Think you might be right about her changing her mind suzycream, I might be tempted back one day if im totaly sure it can be different and sure she has worked through her problems. not the type to make the same mistake twice though and will be very careful and certainly wont let it stop me from moving on.
  • Options
    I was there for her and made her go to the police...she probably blames me for it. I remember her saying "everytime I read an email from you I feel I have done something wrong and its all my fault"

I'm not surprised that she ended up fucked off with you if you made her go to the police about it.

You weren't there for her at all.
  • Options
    Didnt he say she said she was raped and thats why he took her to the police? :chin: