Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bank charges

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just looking for that thread on bank charges but I cannot find it.

I think someone was saying that if you go over drawn less than 29.99 and the bank charges you (for the letter?) you can claim the money back?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah do it, I am currently in the process of me vs HSBC for £2333 ! They have until Thursday to reply to my final letter before action before I take them to court, the case is already filled out online and cash waiting. I know they wont settle before hand. I don't care though, this way I get to claim 8% APR too ;)
    How do you appy to do this??
    You can't just 'apply' to do it, you need to read the link in the other thread :)
    Cheese OT are you the fella I saw on the news???

BTW, I work for HSBC... They screw me to! Every day.
    You dont need to bother so much with the letter all of the time, my friend got charged and just phone dhtem up and wailed at them about being a long term customer, and then they refunded the charge there and then!
    and if you are going to phone your bank, don't let them charge you an extortionate rate for the privilage.... http://www.saynoto0870.com/ might help you find the alternative number...
    Reversed payment

Hi,

Yesterday, a Paypal payment came in and made me overdrawn (9am)
    I paid in sufficient cash to cover it at 9.30am

Then, at 5pm - the bank reverses the payment and charges £30.00

It isn't bad enough that Paypal haven't even got my payment now (no idea how they claim it back / any charges) and I paid money in right away and they charge me £30.00

Do I have a case to get my £30.00 back ?
    Is there an easy way to go about this on the phone ?

Thanks
    Hi,

Yesterday, a Paypal payment came in and made me overdrawn (9am)
    I paid in sufficient cash to cover it at 9.30am

Then, at 5pm - the bank reverses the payment and charges £30.00

It isn't bad enough that Paypal haven't even got my payment now (no idea how they claim it back / any charges) and I paid money in right away and they charge me £30.00

Do I have a case to get my £30.00 back ?
    Is there an easy way to go about this on the phone ?

Thanks

the same happend to me, but i made out that I paid the cash to cover it half an hour before not half an hour after ;) they supposedly checked up, and refunded the fine.
    The banks run automated systems, and that will trigger a fine.

Go in and complain, that normally does the trick. Piss off the branch staff until they give you what they want.
    Yeah Kermit is right most of the time you can get away without all the hassle I am going too.

My case is now filed with the County Court, HSBC have until May 13th to acknowledge my claim, fingers crossed they wont and I'll win by default
    Dont piss them off. That does nothing but make you look like a retard. Just simply ask. Plus, they are more likely to do stuff for you if you are nice. I got a whole bunch of bank charges reversed in a bad time just by calling them up and asking if there was anything they could do.
    Being nice wont get you far if you haven't been a good customer in the past
    Being nice wont get you far if you haven't been a good customer in the past

I had $300 of overdraft charges and thats not including nsf charges in less than a year and I just called and asked and they reversed $250 of it. (Half of what they charged me total) Most places can and will do lots of things for you, but not many people dare to ask to find out, thats all you really have to do. That goes for anything really, the boyfriend who taught me all, hes gotten nearly everything purely by asking and being polite. Hell he just got his 2g table replaced cuz it had a scratch in it and he just asked if it were possible to do that instead of try to fix it!
    Uhm, half of it? These people want it all back :p
    $250 back because I couldn't figure out how to keep track of how little money I had and having signed the contract stating I knew what they would charge is nothing to cry at.
    Uhm, just because you signed a contract doesn't mean it's lawful. Legally binding contracts are superceded by common law. And common law dictates that if the charge is a penalty it cannot be disproportionate to the costs actually incurred by either party. So you signing it really means shit, if you took out £500 and then they asked you for it back and you gave them half do you think that would be OK with them?
    Manda's in the states, where banks have basically changed the law to suit their thieving ways.

I hope you win,. let us know how you get on. I do want to take the cunts to court, and I may do just when I've finished suing my wedding photographer.
    Awesome stuff Kermit, like I said fingers crossed they will settle in the next 14-28 days.

I am happy to provide any help I can to anyone too :thumb:
    I had a settlement offer for the full amount on Saturday :cool:
    bacon wrote:
    why are you suing the photographer?

Because she cost a lot of money and hasn't done the job.

I've just had to fork out another 200 bar to fix the fuck ups she made.

I'm going to wipe the floor with that shit.