Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

argh i'm torn!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, i'm really interested in psychology and criminology....how our minds work and why people do things. But i've also always been into the environment and i'd like to study that aswell. I need biology a level if i'm to go into environmental studies....but i'm not enjoying it much at gcse.
I'm worried i'll get into psychology and criminology and find it too heavy...but i feel i'll probably get a better job with that degree than an environmental one. My problem is that i'm interested and good at too many things! I dunno what to do about biology a level...if i do take it then what do i drop after the 1st year? Sorry im just confused. :banghead:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Normally, when it comes to going up to A-Levels, you are able to take either three, four or five choices in your first year. This varies from each institution. Therefore, you need not worry too much about having to drop subjects. The only point to consider is that, the more choices you take, the heavier your workload will be. In the second year, it's customary to drop a subject and just do three, though some people choose to carry on doing four subjects.

However, what you need to consider now is what to do for the first year. What to drop for the second year, if any at all, is a secondary consideration. In other words, don't worry about that. You'll be very surprised how things change over the next 12 months. No matter what does happen, you'll make it in the end. ;)
  • Options
    Well so far ive got sociology, psychology, and english lit....i dunno if i'm too bothered about english lit so i could drop it for biology....or i could take it aswell and then drop one after the 1st year.
    I'm just worried about the workload of 4 AS levels....but if i just take 3 then i have to stick with them.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    Well so far ive got sociology, psychology, and english lit....i dunno if i'm too bothered about english lit so i could drop it for biology....or i could take it aswell and then drop one after the 1st year.
    I'm just worried about the workload of 4 AS levels....but if i just take 3 then i have to stick with them.
    I got myself into a bit of rut with this. I did English, History, Sociology and Computing Studies in my first year. I dropped Computing Studies, as I hated it. That computer programming malarkey was repetitive, dull and frustrating stuff. I wish I'd never started that. Unfortunately, a few weeks into the second year, me and my Sociology teacher had a huge row, which forced me to leave the course. I was down to two subjects, and therefore potentially fucked when it came to uni. Thankfully, this has not affected me in the long run, but that is a clear demonstration of how NOT to go about things!
  • Options
    we had to do 5 AS Levels at our school in the first year.. id take all 4. or at least start. if you find the work load is too much then you can drop one in the first year. also taking all 4 should help you to work out exactly what it is you want to do and you wont have to limit yourself.
  • Options
    If you can take all 5 for the first year, then I'd suggest you do that. It was an option at my school but alot of people didn't take it. Now I know alot of my friends are dropping a subject at the end of this year and are worried as they'll only have 3 A Levels (though I don't know why they're worried about THAT, IMHO)

From what I've heard, Biology doesn't improve that much from GCSE to AS Level (couldnt comment on your second year) but that would vary form person to person, and school to school. Maybe ask someone in the year above, or better, two years above about what the courses you're torn between involve?

I must admit though, alot of people I know enjoy all psychology and sociolgy etc ALOT because its something completely new. Our sixth form system doesn't offer the other subject you mentioned, but I'd imagine it'd follow the same trend if it was offered in Stafford.
  • Options
    Have you tried the Stamford test on the UCAS website yet?
  • Options
    If you want to do Psychology I would choose more core subjects. Try not to choose Psychology AND Sociology, alot of the better universities for psychology prefer people to have done more traditional subjects, and some even state they prefer candidates who have not studied psychology. Maybe choose English Lit, Psychology and Biology or something like Geography? Then you have the option of applying for Psychology OR Environmental Studies.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Have you tried the Stamford test on the UCAS website yet?
    whats that?
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote:
    If you want to do Psychology I would choose more core subjects. Try not to choose Psychology AND Sociology, alot of the better universities for psychology prefer people to have done more traditional subjects, and some even state they prefer candidates who have not studied psychology. Maybe choose English Lit, Psychology and Biology or something like Geography? Then you have the option of applying for Psychology OR Environmental Studies.
    its possible for me to swap sociology for geography....im doing it at gcse and i should get an A, but i'm not that interested in it, i don't really want to do it at a level
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    whats that?

It's basically a questonnaire. They ask you various questions like are you interested in solving mathematical problems. There are 3 answers - yes, no & probably. After you've answered these questions, it'll give you a list of subjects you can study based upon your answers.

There's also one on www.ukcoursefinder.com however, with this one, it's slightly different, it'll ask you questions and you then choose which regions you'd like to study and the type of college/university you'd like to go to.
  • Options
    At AS I took 4 subjects - as did all my friends. I know people who took the individual (chemistry, biology, physics) sciences and another level and stillfound the workload fine. I took performance studies, drama and theatre studies, psychology and english lit in my first year, because I was very confident I wanted to go into drama (I'm now doing a drama degree) and dropped english lit in my second year, though I was reluctant to as english lit is quite a good subject to have, I just didn't have the time for it in my second year and performance and drama kinda, took over in my second year.

I would say choose 4 subjects. A lot of uni's look for either points, or that you've got the subject amongst your a levels. A person on my drama course didn't do drama at GCSE or A level and is still on the course on points and enthusiasm for the subject! One thing about A level though is the first time you really get to do the subjects you enjoy - picking up a subject you don't would leave you unmotivated in that area and that wouldn't be that beneficial.

Don't worry too much about the workload, it's not huge - yeah the tasks are harder but there's the gradual incline from GCSE to A level, you won't be thrown into lots of hard gruelling work that consumes all your time. Just keep on top of your work and you'll still have lots of time on your hands. In college I had tons of free periods, doing my work in the day whilst I was at college meant at the end of the college day I had no homework to go home with.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    Ok, i'm really interested in psychology and criminology....how our minds work and why people do things. But i've also always been into the environment and i'd like to study that aswell. I need biology a level if i'm to go into environmental studies....but i'm not enjoying it much at gcse.
    I'm worried i'll get into psychology and criminology and find it too heavy...but i feel i'll probably get a better job with that degree than an environmental one. My problem is that i'm interested and good at too many things! I dunno what to do about biology a level...if i do take it then what do i drop after the 1st year? Sorry im just confused. :banghead:

To be honest I would say that AS/A level biology would be a useful thing to have to study both psychology and environmental studies. I'm doing psychology at uni and the course I'm on does contain a very large biological element eg. structure of the brain etc. Even within the social and developmental aspects of psychology there can be quite a strong biological element, so it may be useful to have the AS/A level.

I would definitely say take 4 AS levels, it gives you more options and allows you to drop a subject that you don't really get along with/do as well in after your first year, rather than tying you in for two years. Also, the workload isn't *that* bad, and you can always retake exams etc if you don't do as well as you could in them.

At the end of the day, I would say that you should just do whatever A levels interest you and that you think you will do well in. If you don't enjoy a science A level then you are unlikely to enjoy a science based degree, so it is worth taking a range of subjects just to see how you get along.
  • Options
    is the work load of 4 AS levels lighter than 9 GCSEs then? cause there seems to be way too much GCSE work....
  • Options
    i actually cant remember too much about gcses... i think it probably feels like a lot of work cos you have so much pressure put on you to do well and its the first time you're doing something that counts.

it depends on the subjects you take for as-level as to how much work they are. with the subjects you're choosing i think it will be a fair amount but then, you'll have more time than you do now. well, we did anyway. if you take 4 and find the work load is too much, you'll be able to drop one... so id say its better to at least TRY and do 4 and see how you go.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    i actually cant remember too much about gcses... i think it probably feels like a lot of work cos you have so much pressure put on you to do well and its the first time you're doing something that counts.

it depends on the subjects you take for as-level as to how much work they are. with the subjects you're choosing i think it will be a fair amount but then, you'll have more time than you do now. well, we did anyway. if you take 4 and find the work load is too much, you'll be able to drop one... so id say its better to at least TRY and do 4 and see how you go.
    well i suppose it'll be better not having to concentrate on so many different subjects...im doing 9 gcses and its pretty hard to stay on top of it all!
  • Options
    all your hard work will pay off in the end though!! try not to worry too much about it all.

when do you have to have chosen your as levels by btw?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    is the work load of 4 AS levels lighter than 9 GCSEs then? cause there seems to be way too much GCSE work....

Put it this way - for every hour of work you do in school, you have to do an hour out of school. Also, the teachers don't exactly 'guide' you as to what to write when it comes to note taking, sometimes they might do, but most of the time they might not do. For one of my lessons it was slightly different though, when I was meant to have a lesson, the Year 9s had it as well, so for that lesson we were meant to do 4 hours in school (lessons) and 6 out of school...

Have you thought about taking an NVQ instead of A Levels? This means that you're just doing one subject and not 3/4/5.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    all your hard work will pay off in the end though!! try not to worry too much about it all.

when do you have to have chosen your as levels by btw?
    i'm not sure, where i'm going i don't really have to apply as such, i just enroll a few days before the start of term...i don't get my gcse results till the 24th august!
    i've been to open evenings and they asked me to fill in a form to say what subject from each of the 4 blocks i was interested in....but i'll just have to tell them i'm doing an extra one now
  • Options
    Re: the workload, it really depends how fast a reader you are, and how long it takes you to get stuff done. I would say that I didn't do more than about 5 hours a week of work outside of school when I was doing A levels, but I read very quickly and am a naturally academic person. If you find the workload for GCSEs heavy then you will probably find the workload for A levels heavy, but giving four a go is still a good idea as you don't know how it will pan out. Good luck.
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote:
    Re: the workload, it really depends how fast a reader you are, and how long it takes you to get stuff done. I would say that I didn't do more than about 5 hours a week of work outside of school when I was doing A levels, but I read very quickly and am a naturally academic person. If you find the workload for GCSEs heavy then you will probably find the workload for A levels heavy, but giving four a go is still a good idea as you don't know how it will pan out. Good luck.
    well i've taken quite hard gcses, such as dance and history...i don't find the work for each individual subject heavy....its just all 9 combined is a bit much. It's a bit hard having 9 different subjects to think about.
  • Options
    it'll depend how your school does the subjects too- at ours we took some module exams in the january so we had fewer exams to do in the summer which really helped. im sure you'll be fine though, you should have free periods to get work done and as long as you keep up with it and do any reading you're supposed to do when its set it'll be fine! i dont think youll find it too much of a step up from gcses- i didnt anyway. and you should be doing subjects you enjoy which will help too.
  • Options
    i just did that quiz and im doing the right course.

its important to remember that you could always end up doing whatever you want, even if you don't do it straight away.
  • Options
    I study Chemistry biology and maths A2 level, and did Psychology to AS level; and for workload I found psychology the most difficult. I would say that my a levels are easier than my GCSE's though...maybe I'm just weird.
  • Options
    solid_L wrote:
    I study Chemistry biology and maths A2 level, and did Psychology to AS level; and for workload I found psychology the most difficult. I would say that my a levels are easier than my GCSE's though...maybe I'm just weird.

Depends what you took though and whether you were expected to do coursework as well as exams.

Like you, I also find A levels easier (however, I'm only doing one now) despite the subject being something I've never actually stuided before. In September, I was doing Law, Biology & Foundations of Adavanced Maths, now I'm only doing LAW.
  • Options
    i wouldn't recommend 5 a-levels!! :no:

you can always drop a course and re-start another if you don't like it but you only have a few weeks.
  • Options
    i wouldn't recommend 5 a-levels!! :no:

you can always drop a course and re-start another if you don't like it but you only have a few weeks.

This is true. I did 3 at one point and find the amount of work hard enough. And a friend of mine ocne told me not to take 4 A-Levels...

Talking of starting courses, I was kicked off 2 of my courses a few weeks ago adn my dad is really convinced that I could pick up another one... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    also it'd be worthwhile looking at what the units of the subjects entail. for example you may be interested in criminology but it's a vast subject (i do it at uni) - will the psychology course cover the areas you're interested in?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I've not read the rest of the thread and maybe u have come to a decision but i do know my mum did an enviro degree and she cant get a job based from it. And the money's crap unless u r really high up. Fuck knows about the other subjects though.
  • Options
    4 AS levels isnt that hard. 3 A2s is harder, just because how difficult the courses are. I'd love to do 10 ASs rather than the 3 A2s I'm doing now. Just a thought :chin:

I think I've got about 6 AS levels now anyway :lol:

Maths - Physics - General Studies - Economics - ASVCE in IT - will have AS F. Maths at the end of this year

You could always do biology etc. for the first term, if you dont like it, drop it.