Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

City to drug test crime suspects

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
From the BBC website - City to drug test crime suspects

From Friday, new powers come into force in Bristol allowing the police to drug test where they suspect Class A drugs use was a factor in the incident.

Those arrested will be tested for heroin, crack and cocaine.

People who test positive will then be required to attend a compulsory drug assessment to decide the extent of their problem and to accept treatment.

So what do you think about that? A step too far ? A breach of your rights? A much needed measure of control?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its a short step before they make a positive drug test a crime and force people into 'treatment'.

If all they are doing is offering people help and an interview with a drug counseller (something they do in other countries) then its fine, if its trying to force them into the CJS then it will backfire badly.
  • Options
    Great to get people seeing counsellors, but my eyes prick up whenever the word compulsory is mentioned.

I fear the same agenda bong does.
  • Options
    I dont know whether you have heard or not Kermit, but heroin use is on the cards to become an offence.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    From the BBC website - City to drug test crime suspects

From Friday, new powers come into force in Bristol allowing the police to drug test where they suspect Class A drugs use was a factor in the incident.

Those arrested will be tested for heroin, crack and cocaine.

People who test positive will then be required to attend a compulsory drug assessment to decide the extent of their problem and to accept treatment.

So what do you think about that? A step too far ? A breach of your rights? A much needed measure of control?

This already happens in a lot of areas. People arrested for a "trigger offence" (things like shoplifting, burglary, robbery etc) are tested for Class A drugs and if found positive are encouraged to see an arrest referral worker (drug worker that works in a police station). Its all part of the Drug Intervention Programme and will be made compulsory under the terms of the Drugs Act 2005.

More info on DIP here
    http://www.drugs.gov.uk/drug-interventions-programme/
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I dont know whether you have heard or not Kermit, but heroin use is on the cards to become an offence.

I hadn't heard that. What a fucking joke.

I wouldn't be surprised to see sharp exchange staff get done for conspiracy in that case. I really wouldn't.

Really well thought-out, just like most of NuLab's criminal policy. The finest brains really don't run this country.
  • Options
    It is seen as an easy way of forcing people into treatment, you arrest someone on a charge of theft for example knowing that it probably wont go to court, with the positive drug test you can then force them into treatment.

You should really really read this;

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2006/02/08/Drugs.pdf
  • Options
    OK, here's the info (started new job this week, been learning shit innit)

The law changed on the 1st April to roll "test on arrest" across the whole country. Previously if arrested for a "trigger offence" (acquistive crime mostly), you could only be tested if charged. Now you can be tested on arrest even if no charges are brought against you. If you test +ve for heroin or cocaine, you are required to attend an assessment carried out by a drugs worker. If you refuse the test or don't attend the assessment, it is now a criminal offence. You only have to "attend and remain" at assessment, you do not have to engage (i.e. you can remain silent). Any further sessions or referrals recommended by the drug worker are voluntary.

However - Restrictions on Bail (RoB) have also been rolled out. If you are charged (for a trigger offence, and test +ve) and go to court, the court can put a restriction on your bail conditions that require you to attend a drug treatment programme and this is compulsory. You can be breached and sent down if you don't comply.

More info here
    http://www.drugs.gov.uk/drug-interventions-programme/strategy/courts-and-probation/
  • Options
    I don't see why it would be a step to far, in a way they are trying to help people and by proving they are under the influence of Class A drug can actually give them an excuse for doing so which can help them if they go to court. It also help for those who do have a problem and provide them with the appropriate treatment...

In France they even test you for weed also, even drivers and if they suspect you of having clas A they even pass a hoover in your car to see if there is little bits of drugs here and there...